EVGA Geforce GTX 1080Ti bottle neck?

Lordryu

Hi i'm new here

I just got a second hand EVGA geforce gtx 1080ti and put it in my computer in place of a 1050ti iv been having a few problems with it, it runs some games fine but when i try to play VR it runs smooth for about 5-10 mins then my system just resets its self. I've read alot of stuff on the internet saying a Corsair CXM750W is too weak to run a 1080ti and others saying an intel core i5 4690 will bottle neck but iv also herd people say the opposite. Anyone know whats going on? My 1050ti ran some VR game with lag but never made my computer reset. 

Any advice would help thank you

EVGA Geforce GTX 1080ti

Intel Core i5 4690

Corsair Cxm750w

MSI Z97 Gaming 5

16 gb hyperX furry ram

Just now, Lordryu said:

I've read alot of stuff on the internet saying a Corsair CXM750W is too weak to run a 1080ti

Tell that to my CX550M that's powering my 1080ti FTW3. 750w is overkill for a single 1080ti. The CXM series (green label) however is pretty old, it's possible one of the protections are being tripped.

Your i5 4690 can be a bottleneck, but it depends on the game itself and what resolution you're running at. Some games will not require a lot of CPU performance and your games will run fine, others will require a lot of CPU power to leverage all the GPU horse power (example, the newest AAA titles like Tomb raider, Assassins Creed, COD and battlefields)

For VR, I'm not sure as I don't game on VR and haven't done enough research on it to give recommendations/opinions. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

8 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Tell that to my CX550M that's powering my 1080ti FTW3. 750w is overkill for a single 1080ti. The CXM series (green label) however is pretty old, it's possible one of the protections are being tripped.

Thanks for the fast reply, ill have to do a bit of digging. Is there a easy way to see if the CPU is a bottleneck ?

2 minutes ago, Lordryu said:

Thanks for the fast reply, ill have to do a bit of digging. Is there a easy way to see if the CPU is a bottleneck ?

Check "recommended" specs for your games. If it lists a CPU with more than four cores, you're likely not getting the level of performance you should with a 1080ti

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Update your bios,  run DDU and install latest Nvidia driver. Your hardware specs are fine, unless they are failing. 

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

1 hour ago, Gix7Fifty said:

Update your bios,  run DDU and install latest Nvidia driver. Your hardware specs are fine, unless they are failing. 

1 hour ago, Gix7Fifty said:

Update your bios,

I just updated my bios it seemed to be running a lot better until i went into a high demanding map on VR chat and it reset again

Sounds like psu to me, as has already been said the psu should be plenty good enough but it's old, and the symptoms are kinda what I'd expect from a not 100% functional psu, so if you can, try a newer model. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 1/21/2021 at 11:37 PM, Mark Kaine said:

Sounds like psu to me, as has already been said the psu should be plenty good enough but it's old, and the symptoms are kinda what I'd expect from a not 100% functional psu, so if you can, try a newer model. 

I stole the PSU from my wifes PC and it works fine now crazy how a psu can appear to work but still be failing

Thanks for all the advice eveyone

12 minutes ago, Lordryu said:

I stole the PSU from my wifes PC and it works fine now crazy how a psu can appear to work but still be failing

Thanks for all the advice eveyone

yeap that's the protection thingies they have, it'll work fine, until you draw too much power, then it's literally an emergency shut off. 

So the psu probably isn't defective per say, it just can't provide enough power.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity