Help with residue on motherboard

803zack

Hey so today I was trying to remove a screw that got stuck within my motherboard and my dad had the smart idea of using glue to pull it out.. long story short we got it out (awesome) but I was left with some residue around the motherboard screw opening. It’s from a q tip that I was using to clean the small amount of glue. I used rubbing alcohol and got almost all of it but a little bit was left there. It’s just q tip and glue residue but I was wanting to know if everything is all good and would that residue cause any future problems or is it fine? Everything booted completely fine so I’m guessing all is good but I’m just wondering. Also I wanted to know what I could use to clean the remaining residue off the board.

A3D9A5EA-5293-4F79-BB26-6B64DD3227EF.png

Residue from glue won't cause issues, if you use nail polish remover it will come off but you may take the paint off the board as well so I don't recommend it 

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

You will do more damage trying to get it off than is worth.  Just leave it.

It must be true, I read it on the internet...

Just now, 803zack said:

@shoutingsteveyou don't think it's doing any damage leaving it there do you?

No, not at all. Glue is not conductive, so it's not going ot cause any electrical problems.   And I don't think it has a PH to it, so it's not like it's acid eating through the board.  Leave it be.  You risk messing things up by trying to remove it.

@shoutingsteveoh ok, one more question. I used a really damp rag to dab it a little bit to see if that would help, everything was dry before I booted the PC and it's running fine but again I'm just wondering if that can cause issues. I just bought this motherboard so it just had me worried.

3 minutes ago, 803zack said:

@shoutingsteveoh ok, one more question. I used a really damp rag to dab it a little bit to see if that would help, everything was dry before I booted the PC and it's running fine but again I'm just wondering if that can cause issues. I just bought this motherboard so it just had me worried.

meh.. "really damp" is a a pretty fluid term (haha, you see what I did there?!?!? #dadjokes) but you should be fine as long as it is dry.  Stop playing with it before it falls off. (also another "dad thing" to say... haha)

3 hours ago, 803zack said:

70%

ahhhh.  Try to only use 90% or higher when cleaning electronics.  There is too much water in 70%.  Good at killing stuff, but bad for electronics and not a great solvent.