Will my Generic 650watt PSU(bought from a certified store) be able to handle my RX 570?

Aaron1080p
Go to solution Solved by bellabichon,

If you can link to the new supposedly "rated" PSU, I can take a look to see whether I think those positive reviews are trustworthy. But I'm always going to be skeptical of a $17 650W PSU, because that would be literally impossible to manufacture and still profit off of. Even the crappiest, most generic, not-at-all-modular, didn't even pay for 80+ certification 650W PSUs from reputable manufacturers are like $55. 

I dont know if generic psu's perform bad because they are generic, or bad if they are bought from a sketchy seller. I'd like to know.

But my main concern is.... will my generic psu be able to handle my RX 570 4gb? I ordered a 570 and planned on using a sata to 8pin cable to connect the psu to it. Because my psu doesnt have an 8pin.

But a local store said that it will cause my power supply to explode. And it is not recommended to use a sata-to-8pin cable on RX570 and they insisted me to buy a rated power supply. Why would it explode 

Im not against it. Im really convinced that I should buy a rated power supply. But... should i? I mean, im still on a tight budget and if I receive my 570 without knowing whether or not to use it on my generic power supply so I can feel my new graphics card. Or should I keep my 570 first and buy a new power supply?

I mean, I assume, that a power supply will perform okay as long as it is purchased from a well known, popular, certified store, right? Or not? 

Will a generic power supply just a generic power supply and couldnt handle such gpu? 

Thanks in advance. 🙂

2 minutes ago, Aaron1080p said:

I dont know if generic psu's perform bad because they are generic, or bad if they are bought from a sketchy seller. I'd like to know.

But my main concern is.... will my generic psu be able to handle my RX 570 4gb? I ordered a 570 and planned on using a sata to 8pin cable to connect the psu to it. Because my psu doesnt have an 8pin.

But a local store said that it will cause my power supply to explode. And it is not recommended to use a sata-to-8pin cable on RX570 and they insisted me to buy a rated power supply. Why would it explode 

Im not against it. Im really convinced that I should buy a rated power supply. But... should i? I mean, im still on a tight budget and if I receive my 570 without knowing whether or not to use it on my generic power supply so I can feel my new graphics card. Or should I keep my 570 first and buy a new power supply?

I mean, I assume, that a power supply will perform okay as long as it is purchased from a well known, popular, certified store, right? Or not? 

Will a generic power supply just a generic power supply and couldnt handle such gpu? 

Thanks in advance. 🙂

What is the PSU? Any 650W PSU can handle a 570, but if it’s a bad quality unit there is still a risk. A 450W Corsair CX would be better IMO.

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

1 minute ago, Downkey said:

What is the PSU? Any 650W PSU can handle a 570, but if it’s a bad quality unit there is still a risk. A 450W Corsair CX would be better IMO.

The psu is an Across Technology brand 650w. Im not sure about its quality, i dont have any reference except buying it from a trusted store here in my country.

Just now, ragnarok0273 said:

How much did you pay for it?

The PSU is included in an i3 7th gen bundle I bought from the same store(the one who recommends me buying a rated psu). And I forgot exactly how much.

7 minutes ago, Aaron1080p said:

The psu is an Across Technology brand 650w. Im not sure about its quality, i dont have any reference except buying it from a trusted store here in my country.

That sounds pretty bad. Not on the psu tier list and I have never heard of that brand.

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

is this the psu: http://www.asianic.com.ph/product/across-atx-650w-power-supply?

effiecny ius under or over 70%? wtf. 

this is porbably DF and group regulated ban unit. i would not use that with rx 570.

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

18 minutes ago, Downkey said:

That sounds pretty bad. Not on the psu tier list and I have never heard of that brand.

Yeah even I feel uneasy everytime I say its brand name

Hello, so I bought a 17$ 650w PSU that is rated. And previous one is a generic PSU 650w. The thing is, I basically broke the law of investing like 20% or 30% of my PC to PSU because it is dangerously important.

And yeah, considering I did. And I know Im in risk of something I dont want to say. But, is it always the case? Should popular PSU brands always be the in the priority list? I mean, if I have a 600w that isn't generic, but the brand is not that popular but has good reviews, good website, good products. Should I worry too much? Im a college student, and here in my country, college students usually dont have incomes that are near as other college students from other countries. So, every decision I made is sadly to say, based on how much I can invest.

I researched, I had a 1030 which I used with the generic PSU. But I bought an RX 570 which I don't plan to use with the generic one, but with the new one (600w rated). 

Paired with an i3 7100, 2 sticks of RAM (4gb DDR4, 8GB DDR4).

And found out that my previous build is:
Load Wattage:159 W
Recommended UPS rating:400 VA
Recommended PSU Wattage:209 W

And my new build is:
Load Wattage:251 W
Recommended UPS rating:600 VA
Recommended PSU Wattage:301 W

I dont really know EXACTLY what to ask you guys, generally I just want to know if my PSU will explode or not. Cause if PSU do not explode and just shuts down, iwouldnt worry. But Im on a tight budget and the last thing I want to happen is for my hardwork PC to blow up. 😞

Side question, if my PSU is, lets say 600w, but is not guarantee to have 80% efficiency all the time, would it throttle? Knowing that my build isn't demanding high power?
I mean, logically, a PSU would blow up if it has been push over it's limit right? (not sure) 
So if my PSU is 600w(minus the unguaranteed efficiency), would I be pushing it to its limit and cause it to go mad?

Thank you in advance. I am a PC enthusiast but I obviously need to learn so maaaany things. So pardon me if Im asking obvious questions or stup*d ones.

🙂 

If you can link to the new supposedly "rated" PSU, I can take a look to see whether I think those positive reviews are trustworthy. But I'm always going to be skeptical of a $17 650W PSU, because that would be literally impossible to manufacture and still profit off of. Even the crappiest, most generic, not-at-all-modular, didn't even pay for 80+ certification 650W PSUs from reputable manufacturers are like $55. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

An explosion isn't guaranteed but bad things are still likely to happen when you push a cheapo unit

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

burn or explode, better if it's explode by itself instead of harming anything else.

a fire hazard it could be, depends on what you actually buyed.

Would not leave it on at night.

Cheaply made and overrated (as in rated for more watts than it's actually capable of doing safely) power supply = this type of fun:

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

40 minutes ago, Aaron1080p said:

Hello, so I bought a 17$ 650w PSU that is rated. And previous one is a generic PSU 650w.

Post pictures of the labels of both power supplies.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Moved to Power Supplies and merged with the post you made yesterday asking the same question. This is now the 3rd time I've moved your posts out of the Guides & Tutorial forum. The Guides & Tutorial forum is for posting guides to help other people, it is not for asking for help.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

34 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

http://prod.danawa.com/info/?pcode=1115420
This is the product page. Im not Chinese.

But, I bought it from here https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/i257747727-s355105257.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1 which is a local online shop. They test PSU's first before shipping and is really responsive and initiates conversation regarding with the order.

Based on the reviews from other PC builders who bought the same PSU, they had no issue. Plus they have more power hungry builds than mine. Because I only have an i3 7th gen plus the coming RX 570.

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

Moved to Power Supplies and merged with the post you made yesterday asking the same question. This is now the 3rd time I've moved your posts out of the Guides & Tutorial forum. The Guides & Tutorial forum is for posting guides to help other people, it is not for asking for help.

Im sorry, Im new to this forum, I'll make sure to post it right next time.

7 minutes ago, Aaron1080p said:

http://prod.danawa.com/info/?pcode=1115420
This is the product page. Im not Chinese.

That's Korean according to Google Translate. It says that it's a discontinued product that was "registered" (I think that's possibly a translation error and means listed on that website you linked) back in 2010. The brands website icon.co.kr is no longer available and the domain is for sale. I can't find any other information on it other than that site.

Looks pretty crappy. I wouldn't trust a 10+ year old crappy power supply from a company that no longer exists.

1 hour ago, Aaron1080p said:

Hello, so I bought a 17$ 650w PSU that is rated.

What does "rated" mean? It's not 80+ certified if that is what you meant?

5 minutes ago, Spotty said:

That's Korean according to Google Translate. It says that it's a discontinued product that was "registered" (I think that's possibly a translation error and means listed on that website you linked) back in 2010. The brands website icon.co.kr is no longer available and the domain is for sale. I can't find any other information on it other than that site.

Looks pretty crappy. I wouldn't trust a 10+ year old crappy power supply from a company that no longer exists.

What does "rated" mean? It's not 80+ certified if that is what you meant?

Yes, I found out that "rated" does not really exist as a term for PSU and is used locally for "scamming" people that psu's are legit. I cancelled the order and I feel better now. Im going to invest on an expensive one if it means keeping my 570 aside for a while.

Thank youu