Corsair RM850i or HX850? (or other)

Nemoos

Hi,

So i'm buying the PSU for my pc.

I found a Corsair RM850i and a HX850 at roughly the same price (170€).

The RM has iCue and is Gold and the HX has no iCue but is Platinum. Is iCue worth it or relevant?, or should I go just for the better efficiency/quality? 

Or should I just go for a Seasonic Focus PX or a Prime GX (about 30€more), or other.

So my question is what should I buy?

Thank you in advance.

I reckon the digital monitoring and control of the RMi would be a lot more useful than the marginal improvement in efficiency of the HX.

I'd get the RMi. The Seasonic offerings definitely aren't worth the extra cost.

What components will you be powering?

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

On 1/16/2021 at 6:21 PM, Nemoos said:

Hi,

So i'm buying the PSU for my pc.

I found a Corsair RM850i and a HX850 at roughly the same price (170€).

The RM has iCue and is Gold and the HX has no iCue but is Platinum. Is iCue worth it or relevant?, or should I go just for the better efficiency/quality? 

Or should I just go for a Seasonic Focus PX or a Prime GX (about 30€more), or other.

Thank you in advance.

iCue is just RGB/lighting - if that aspect of the PSU is going to be hidden or is of no interest to you, then 'there's your answer'.

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

9 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

That'll determine if an 850w unit is overklill or not... if you can save a buck with less power, that may help esp. as PSU's are among the unicorns of PC components in some parts of the world.

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

WHY NOT...?!

19 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

iCue is just RGB/lighting - if that aspect of the PSU is going to be hidden or is of no interest to you, then 'there's your answer'.

Uh... Icue allows you to change the fan curve, disable multi rail OCP, and monitor the power consumption, efficiency and voltages. If you have absolutely no idea about what you're talking about, please have the decency to not spew absolute BS 🙂

28 minutes ago, Nemoos said:

Well, definitely not the Focus or Prime, that's for sure. They lack multi rail OCP, are louder, use an absolute garbage fan, and may have more issues with soldering quality. Not worth paying more for that (imo).

The HX has 16 SATA connectors instead of 10 on the RMi, which is the only real benefit that I can see. The RMi has software monitoring, allows you to change the fan curve, and (according to Cybenetics' testing) has a marginally lower fan speed at the same loads, so it should be marginally quieter.

If you are not intending to get a 3090 and/or HEDT, then you might be better off getting a less expensive and lower wattage PSU.

Edited by seon123
Spelling mitsake

:)

38 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

I reckon the digital monitoring and control of the RMi would be a lot more useful than the marginal improvement in efficiency of the HX.

I'd get the RMi. The Seasonic offerings definitely aren't worth the extra cost.

I will be powering a 5900X and a RTX3080 (and the NH-D15, about 4 case fans and m.2), I know it might be a little bit overkill but I was looking for something future proof.

6 minutes ago, Nemoos said:

I know it might be a little bit overkill

It's not overkill. 850W is perfectly fine. You'll have some headroom + your PSU is going to run cooler and quieter. 

43 minutes ago, Nemoos said:

I will be powering a 5900X and a RTX3080 (and the NH-D15, about 4 case fans and m.2), I know it might be a little bit overkill but I was looking for something future proof.

An 850W PSU is not overkill.

There is no such thing as overkill, that word is vastly over used and misused these days. 🙄

Even a 1000W PSU for your system is not even close to out of bounds.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

4 hours ago, seon123 said:

Uh... Icue allows you to change the fan curve, disable multi rail OCP, and monitor the power consumption, efficiency and voltages. If you have absolutely no idea about what you're talking about, please have the decency to not spew absolute BS 🙂

11/10 for sanctimony - NEVER assume that anyone who has bought into iCue has bought into it 100%; my keyboard & mouse are all that THIS user can see any iCue customisation for.  Until such time as a total functionality version if iCue gets installed with any single item that has iCue functionality, desist in thinking you are God tier of knowledge when it comes to such customisation.

HOWEVER; thank you for reminding me that Corsair fans & AIO's use iCue, too.  If I see that you cannot resist replying to this I'll know you're a slave to your ego when it comes to Forum posting.

WHY NOT...?!

5 hours ago, Eighjan said:

There is no RGB lighting on the RMi power supply. 

iCue replaces the previous Corsair Link functionality and provides monitoring of the power supply including power usage efficiency, voltages, temperatures, and fan speed. 

From the RMi product page:

Corsair iCUE makes it easy to monitor power supply performance, toggle single rail or multi rail mode, and control fan speed directly from your desktop.

5 hours ago, Nemoos said:

See above for what iCue with the RMi offers and if it's something that interests you. You don't need to install iCue or the link cable to use the RMi either, it'll still work perfectly fine as a normal power supply would. Though if you don't plan using it you may be better off with the HX, or if you want to save a few bucks the RMx.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

7 hours ago, Eighjan said:

Yeah, it's only RGB Lighting. 🙄

AXI%201600%203-X2.jpg

AXI%201600%202-X2.jpg

AXI%201600-X2.jpg

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

19 hours ago, Ankerson said:

Yeah, it's only RGB Lighting. 🙄

That would require me to have a Corsair power supply to know... rather than just a k/b & mouse.

If you'd bothered to read my post above you would already know this, but since being a 100% know-it-all seems to now be required to answer posts here I'll leave all the expert stuff to members like you from now on.

HF...

EDIT:

Can any of the mod's clean this thread up to remove my comments & the snarky replies they elicited, please...?

WHY NOT...?!

33 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

That would require me to have a Corsair power supply to know... rather than just a k/b & mouse.

Nope, just takes some basic knowledge and maybe reading or watching some PSU reviews now and then. 

8 minutes ago, Ankerson said:

Nope, just takes some basic knowledge and maybe reading or watching some PSU reviews now and then. 

Unicorn vomit isn't something I really care about/need on my PC, so it's either avoided, switched off or minimised...

To be honest, if the Nightsword didn't have RGB, I'd be happier - The K70 lighting helps me see what I'm typing if the light is low.

I buy a PSU for it's functionality... it makes the PC work - end of.

WHY NOT...?!

3 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

Unicorn vomit isn't something I really care about/need on my PC, so it's either avoided, switched off or minimised...

To be honest, if the Nightswrod didn't have RGB, I'd be happier - The K70 lighting helps me see what I'm typing if the light is low.

I have a few Corsair KB's, I normally turn off the RGB personally.

My main KB is the Steel Series APEX Pro.

Hi everyone,

so I decided to buy the RM850i.

I think the iCue functionality will be more useful for me instead of 1or 2% efficiency and Sata connector.

Thank you all for you help and opinions!

Best regards from Portugal!

(If a mod reads this, I think you can close the post)