PS5 (Physical) or Xbox Series X?

p1xel0

PS5 (Physical) or Xbox Series X?   

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which one offers better value when factoring in PS Plus/Game pass?

• PS5 (Physical)
    • Xbox Series X

Which one offers better value when factoring in PS Plus/Game pass?

It's hard to really say because I can't read your mind as to what games you wanna play. 

Personally I'd get an Xbox Series X. There's more of what I'd want to play (predominately concerning Xbox 360 titles) compared to the PS5 for me.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Series X offers much better value IMO. Ability to play not only Xbox One games, but also 360 and original xbox games is a huge plus. Also, if you get Game Pass Ultimate, you get game pass for PC too. If you use Windows 10, an Xbox is just the better choice.

Main argument for the PS5 is that it has better launch exclusives, but if you don't care about those games then that doesn't matter.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

1 hour ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

Series X offers much better value IMO. Ability to play not only Xbox One games, but also 360 and original xbox games is a huge plus. Also, if you get Game Pass Ultimate, you get game pass for PC too. If you use Windows 10, an Xbox is just the better choice.

Main argument for the PS5 is that it has better launch exclusives, but if you don't care about those games then that doesn't matter.

Main argument for PS5 isn't the launch exclusives, it's the exclusives likely coming in 2021 such as Ratchet & Clank Rift, Horizon Forbidden West, and God of War Ragnarok. XBox finally has some really talented studios to make exclusives for it though between all of Bethesda, Obsidian, and Ninja Theory so I could see Series X being amazing over the generation like the XBox 360 was for the first half of its generation before Don Mattrick tried to turn it into a casual box.

For me, I'll probably get PS5 this year for Spiderman, Ghost of Tsushima (def want to play that at 60 fps) plus the three games I mentioned above. And because the XBox exclusives I'm looking forward to such as Elder Scrolls and Hellblade II plus whatever RPG Obsidian does next look to be years away.  When those start coming out then I'll evaluate whether PC offers enough value to prefer over Series X. Nice to have the choice of PC vs Series X there. I definitely won't be wanting to play the next Elder Scrolls on PS5 though considering how much stronger the Series X gpu is vs PS5 (I think it's 12TFLOPS vs 10TFLOPS).

Depends on what you want to play.As a console i would say PS5 is better one,Sony made more effort with console,marketing,and whole changes compared to Xbox.

Game pass is amazing value,but only if you like the games that are included.

I bought xbox series S since i am poor,and got gamepass for 3 months for only 1 euro.

That being said,there is like only 2 games that i like in the whole gamepass.

If there is a lot of old xbox 360 games that you like,and you enjoy many different games then xbox and gamepass is good value as a console.

On 1/10/2021 at 8:51 AM, WaggishOhio383 said:

What launch exclusives? Isn't it just Spiderman?

On 1/10/2021 at 10:30 AM, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Main argument for PS5 isn't the launch exclusives, it's the exclusives likely coming in 2021 such as Ratchet & Clank Rift, Horizon Forbidden West, and God of War Ragnarok. XBox finally has some really talented studios to make exclusives for it though between all of Bethesda, Obsidian, and Ninja Theory so I could see Series X being amazing over the generation like the XBox 360 was for the first half of its generation before Don Mattrick tried to turn it into a casual box.

I bought a PS4 solely for Neir Automata, Persona 5, Horizon Zero Dawn, Death Stranding, and God of War. 3 of those have released on PC, and I didn't really like P5 that much. At this point it's just collecting dust. I don't think it's worth buying consoles for exclusives anymore. And anything on Xbox will also be available on PC. Ghost of Tsushima might be cool though.

Given HZD went on PC, and even DRM free on GOG now, along with a few other Sony titles and even P4G, it's possible future Sony "exclusives" will also be coming to PC. The head of GOW has stated he'd love to do a PC release.

#Muricaparrotgang

3 hours ago, JZStudios said:

What launch exclusives? Isn't it just Spiderman?

I bought a PS4 solely for Neir Automata, Persona 5, Horizon Zero Dawn, Death Stranding, and God of War. 3 of those have released on PC, and I didn't really like P5 that much. At this point it's just collecting dust. I don't think it's worth buying consoles for exclusives anymore. And anything on Xbox will also be available on PC. Ghost of Tsushima might be cool though.

Given HZD went on PC, and even DRM free on GOG now, along with a few other Sony titles and even P4G, it's possible future Sony "exclusives" will also be coming to PC. The head of GOW has stated he'd love to do a PC release.

I kind of think HZD was released on PC to try to win over PC gamers to wanting a PS5 for the sequel. Too bad they didn't do a very good port leading to a tepid reception for a game that really would be awesome if the port was halfway decent. Which is kind of crazy since Death Stranding got an outstanding PC port and they're on the same engine. NieR Automata launched on PC too. God that was a garbage port though. You needed a fan-made mod called FAR to play at your correct resolution and I had to use that mod to turn global illumination (a hidden setting not accessible in the main game settings menu) to medium to get 60 fps at 1080p on my GTX 970. Ridiculous in 2017 for a game that wasn't that great graphically (though it's my second favorite game of last decade overall).

You might be right about the Japanese games coming to PC, Sony already lost the Yakuza series to becoming multiplatform and they seem to be focusing on the west this gen. I'd be floored to ever see God of War on PC though unless it's the old PS2 and PS3 games maybe, since Santa Monica is Sony first party studio and thus those games are kind of loss leaders to drive sales of consoles.

3 hours ago, JZStudios said:

I bought a PS4 solely for Neir Automata, Persona 5, Horizon Zero Dawn, Death Stranding, and God of War. 3 of those have released on PC, and I didn't really like P5 that much.

Curious if you got bored in the beginning of Persona 5. I hear so many people who quit that game because of the 2-4 hour intro before you can really do anything. If that turned you off to the game it becomes a hell of a lot better after that intro. Even as a huge fan of the Persona series I always hate the first few hours of the games because of the long intros where it's just press X to read the next line of text over and over and over. But once you get into the dungeon crawling and life sim stuff the game's really good IMO.

18 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I kind of think HZD was released on PC to try to win over PC gamers to wanting a PS5 for the sequel. Too bad they didn't do a very good port leading to a tepid reception for a game that really would be awesome if the port was halfway decent. Which is kind of crazy since Death Stranding got an outstanding PC port and they're on the same engine. NieR Automata launched on PC too. God that was a garbage port though. You needed a fan-made mod called FAR to play at your correct resolution and I had to use that mod to turn global illumination (a hidden setting not accessible in the main game settings menu) to medium to get 60 fps at 1080p on my GTX 970. Ridiculous in 2017 for a game that wasn't that great graphically (though it's my second favorite game of last decade overall).

You might be right about the Japanese games coming to PC, Sony already lost the Yakuza series to becoming multiplatform and they seem to be focusing on the west this gen. I'd be floored to ever see God of War on PC though unless it's the old PS2 and PS3 games maybe, since Santa Monica is Sony first party studio and thus those games are kind of loss leaders to drive sales of consoles.

I saw HZD doesn't perform super well, which is disappointing, but I suppose your theory may be correct. It could go either way, but Sega and Atlus are getting real big into semi-decent PC ports and they used to be PS exclusive for the most part.

The shit Nier port is why I still haven't bought it, the mods apparently require Win10 and I'm still on Win7. And it's also apparently not very good on PS4 either so it's a lose-lose and I just haven't committed to buying it. I'm super disappointed they never fixed the PC port. Still though, it's an option.

Guerrilla and Kojima Productions are also first party PS/Sony companies. I think they also ported over some MLB game which was a Sony first party. It's just a possibility that Sony and it's first party titles might make the transition to PC. Last gen was actually pretty shit with exclusives and with Xbox now doing all games on PC, it finally seems to me like PC is the best platform.

18 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Curious if you got bored in the beginning of Persona 5. I hear so many people who quit that game because of the 2-4 hour intro before you can really do anything. If that turned you off to the game it becomes a hell of a lot better after that intro. Even as a huge fan of the Persona series I always hate the first few hours of the games because of the long intros where it's just press X to read the next line of text over and over and over. But once you get into the dungeon crawling and life sim stuff the game's really good IMO.

No, the first 2-4 hours was the best part, and then it gets worse and more boring after that. That was a cool intro/first dungeon that showed actual repercussions, and then every dungeon after that is supposed to raise the stakes and negatively affect more and more people, but it's never shown at any point outside some murmuring from random people on the street. It's a basic failure of the "show, don't tell" aspect of visual storytelling. The public perception concept in general falls flat on me, and it just annoyed me how little "fun moments" or brevity there is in the game even compared to P3. I could go on about it, but I got about halfway through to the field trip, realized there wasn't a single moment of tension or fun, got bored and stopped playing for 6 months before I decided to power through it and finish it.

I honestly don't understand why people like it so damn much.

#Muricaparrotgang

45 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

I saw HZD doesn't perform super well, which is disappointing, but I suppose your theory may be correct. It could go either way, but Sega and Atlus are getting real big into semi-decent PC ports and they used to be PS exclusive for the most part.

The shit Nier port is why I still haven't bought it, the mods apparently require Win10 and I'm still on Win7. And it's also apparently not very good on PS4 either so it's a lose-lose and I just haven't committed to buying it. I'm super disappointed they never fixed the PC port. Still though, it's an option.

I wouldn't say Atlus is getting big into PC with only two very old games released so far. I would kill to have Muramasa Rebirth on PC though. That game is still the only other thing besides P4G that I played on my Vita. I guess we can hope they will be starting this year though. Nothing as frustrating as how these games can't be played in Japanese on Playstation consoles if you buy US versions when multi-language support is universal on PC.

You don't need Windows 10 for NieR Automata. I did a full playthrough on Windows 8.1. I also have a full playthrough on PS4 Slim and with the FAR mod the game is definitely better on PC. With a GTX 970 I could lock to 60 fps at 1080p after turning down the hidden global illumination setting to medium in FAR. I think 980 Ti and above can do 1440p60 on it. I didn't notice any stutters like Digital Foundry reported in their video, but that was from near launch in March 2017 and I think I played it in the summer of 2017, so FAR was in a much better state by the time I played it.

7 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I wouldn't say Atlus is getting big into PC with only two very old games released so far. I would kill to have Muramasa Rebirth on PC though. That game is still the only other thing besides P4G that I played on my Vita. I guess we can hope they will be starting this year though. Nothing as frustrating as how these games can't be played in Japanese on Playstation consoles if you buy US versions when multi-language support is universal on PC.

You don't need Windows 10 for NieR Automata. I did a full playthrough on Windows 8.1. I also have a full playthrough on PS4 Slim and with the FAR mod the game is definitely better on PC. With a GTX 970 I could lock to 60 fps at 1080p after turning down the hidden global illumination setting to medium in FAR. I think 980 Ti and above can do 1440p60 on it. I didn't notice any stutters like Digital Foundry reported in their video, but that was from near launch in March 2017 and I think I played it in the summer of 2017, so FAR was in a much better state by the time I played it.

Atlus has other games on PC, and Sega has stated that it's going to start porting everything in their library to PC. Sega seems to publish Atlus games, or at least they did for Catherine, P4G and Persona 5 Strikers coming February. Apparently Sega bought Atlus back in 2013. Who knew.

Something interesting is the game Rock of Ages on Steam used to be credited to Atlus (Or Atlus USA) as a publisher, now it's Sega.

The SpecialK mod which does... something doesn't work on Win7.

#Muricaparrotgang

1 hour ago, JZStudios said:

Atlus has other games on PC, and Sega has stated that it's going to start porting everything in their library to PC. Sega seems to publish Atlus games, or at least they did for Catherine, P4G and Persona 5 Strikers coming February. Apparently Sega bought Atlus back in 2013. Who knew.

Something interesting is the game Rock of Ages on Steam used to be credited to Atlus (Or Atlus USA) as a publisher, now it's Sega.

The SpecialK mod which does... something doesn't work on Win7.

I just know Sega is going to announce Judgment to PC any day now since I just bought the game on PS4 a couple of days ago. And if Persona 5 Royal comes to PC I'll end up buying Persona 5 for a fourth time (bought P5 digitally on PS4, imported the JP version on disc for PS3, then bought Royal digitally on PS4). Shit I was thinking Strikers was Koei-Tecmo since it's a Musou game, but now see P-Studio was involved in the development too and it's not just Atlus publishing. No wonder the game feels so true to the original P5 (I imported the Switch version from Japan at launch).

8 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

snip

I just want to add an addendum, looking up Sega/Atlus I went on to their Twitter and they were showing P5's soundtrack on Spotify.

Oh my god, it's so boring. First off, it's not a soundtrack. It's just EVERY SINGLE LOOP amassing to 110 tracks across 3 CDs averaging a minute each and I swear to god at least 95% of them all have the exact same rhodes piano and bass guitar. A 70's funk style guitar with wah and the same drum kit is also present on a lot of them. It was probably done to keep "continuity" between all of the rapid music changes, but it's so boring to listen to. It seems odd, because none of the prior games did that and they didn't have any issue really with switching music cues or styles.

It makes me massively appreciate the work Marty O'Donnell did with the Halo soundtracks to make sure each track was somewhat resembling an actual track and album. The P5 soundtrack just stops and starts 5 second loops for a minute before cutting to the next one.

#Muricaparrotgang

1 minute ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

And if Persona 5 Royal comes to PC I'll end up buying Persona 5 for a fourth time

Gross. I bought it once and honestly wish I could get my money back. I tried looking into what Royal adds, but I don't know it's enough for the game to be worth playing for me.

#Muricaparrotgang