400W PSU enough for 1660 SUPER?

thesquidgaming
Go to solution Solved by jaslion,
1 minute ago, thesquidgaming said:

Oh alright! How many years do you think it'd last before it stops working? (sorry for asking much i just wanna be sure)

Around 5 or so is when most of the more heavily loaded systems start getting issues due to psu degradation from the office dells and hps with gpu's I've had in for repair but really I cannot tell you as this one has a fair bit of headroom left too so it will stop working when it does.

alright so i'm buying a computer (a prebuilt) which has a 1660 SUPER, i5 10400F and 16 gigs of DDR4 RAM (2 x 8), it also comes with a 400W power supply which made me a bit concirned since it's recommended to have a 450W power supply. The PC is a HP Pavillion TG01-1056no. I'd like some help on this since some people think it's alright but some said i should get a 500W power supply instead. Please help. Also the monitor is a AOC 75Hz 1ms 24.5".

3 minutes ago, thesquidgaming said:

some people think it's alright but some said i should get a 500W power supply instead

Those people are talking out of their asses, and should not be taken seriously. 400W is more than fine, the recommendation is for a worst case scenario, and HP has obviously tested if their configuration works. The PC should draw about 200W under a gaming load.

:)

prebuilt can be fine, it has likely limited some of its power. like with laptops.

or less OC and upgrade abilities.

unless I'm mistaken.

Just now, seon123 said:

Those people are talking out of their asses, and should not be taken seriously. 400W is more than fine, the recommendation is for a worst case scenario, and HP has obviously tested if their configuration works. The PC should draw about 200W under a gaming load.

That and the prebuilt psu's are often at least gold rated and pretty darn high quality. So they don't loose much in efficiency and aren't the usual crapshoot that 400w psu's are (not the few good ones the regular 20-40$ ones everyone gets).

An i5-10400 will consume like 90 watts, a 1660 will consume about 150, that leaves 260 watts for the rest of the system. Of that, the motherboard is the most demanding, around 40 watts, and the rest is in the teens or single digits.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, jaslion said:

That and the prebuilt psu's are often at least gold rated and pretty darn high quality. So they don't loose much in efficiency and aren't the usual crapshoot that 400w psu's are (not the few good ones the regular 20-40$ ones everyone gets).

Does this mean it's not enough? It does not have a 80+ rating on it..

Does this mean it's not enough? It does not have a 80+ rating on it..

It will be fine for a couple years at the very very least. Those prebuilt psu failing stories are of systems that are many years old so don't worry too much about it.

Just now, jaslion said:

It will be fine for a couple years at the very very least. Those prebuilt psu failing stories are of systems that are many years old so don't worry too much about it.

Oh alright! How many years do you think it'd last before it stops working? (sorry for asking much i just wanna be sure)

Around 5 or so is when most of the more heavily loaded systems start getting issues due to psu degradation from the office dells and hps with gpu's I've had in for repair but really I cannot tell you as this one has a fair bit of headroom left too so it will stop working when it does.

Just now, jaslion said:

That should be plenty! I might upgrade the PSU some year after i bought the pc. If you don't mind could you tell me if i can swap the PSU of a prebuilt HP Pavilion PC? I'd like to know if i can before i buy an upgrade 😅 Also sorry if i reply late to your answer i have to be off my computer for a bit so i'll answer as soon as i can!

* thread moved to the Power Supplies section *

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

2 minutes ago, thesquidgaming said:

That should be plenty! I might upgrade the PSU some year after i bought the pc. If you don't mind could you tell me if i can swap the PSU of a prebuilt HP Pavilion PC? I'd like to know if i can before i buy an upgrade 😅 Also sorry if i reply late to your answer i have to be off my computer for a bit so i'll answer as soon as i can!

From what I could find this psu uses a proprietary cabling so you cannot upgrade it. Typical for their non gaming systems (the pavilions).

4 hours ago, jaslion said:

From what I could find this psu uses a proprietary cabling so you cannot upgrade it. Typical for their non gaming systems (the pavilions).

Oh... okay..

Just now, thesquidgaming said:

Oh... okay..

You don't get a prebuilt if you wanna do upgrading. They are known for not allowing it.

Just now, jaslion said:

You don't get a prebuilt if you wanna do upgrading. They are known for not allowing it.

Alright, i'm gonna get this one i guess i'll have to buy a new one later on then.

Alright so, i've found a cheaper PC with the exact same specs but a 1660 Ti. Now i know this is kinda pushing the limits but i used the calculator @suha04 provided and it said my wattage would be 226 Watts. So i was wondering if i should go for the cheaper one with the 1660 Ti or the more expensive one with the 1660 SUPER. (If the 1660 SUPER keeps running longer i'll take that) Also the motherboard is a Mini-ITX which made the wattage lower i believe. Will this hold for at least 4 years? If not i'll get the SUPER. EDIT: I made a mistake it was showing the price without tax, it's more expensive so nevermind.

Edited by thesquidgaming
Mistake

ti vs super, doubt there is much performance difference if there is a big price difference.

new AMD or Nvidia cards would hold longer like any RTX series card if DLSS becomes common place.

although prebuilts are often a bit more expensive, while sometimes there are better deals out there.

When I see pre-builts they are often overpriced with 1660 or I think they might be?

While the super cards are newer in general from the first RTX cards, the 1660 ti has more performance by 1-3%? maybe? Don't know about OC, maybe the super does better in that aspect? Don't know if I would pay extra for those cards, if you need to upgrade again if wanting to play in higher settings with more FPS.

If building yourself is an option, then waiting for the 3050 or pre-builts with that (if not they mark up the prices like****) and you could use that card in future upgrades too.

Alright so i might be getting a 24" 144Hz monitor, will this make me in need of a 450W or more power supply because if a 400W power supply doesn't work with this monitor i'll get a 60 or 75Hz one instead.. already said it but my system is a HP Pavilion TG01-1056no (1660 Super, i5 10400F and 16 gigs of ddr4 ram) and now maybe a 144Hz monitor, if this is too much i'll get one with lower wattage.

Just now, Quackers101 said:

monitors have their own PSU and power cable??

OH LOL sorry!