Is lga 2011-v3 compatible with a lga 1151 socket?

Hi i just bought a new cpu with lga 2011-v3, but my motherboard is only lga 1151

so i was wondering if i still would be able to use the cpu with my motherboard, or do i need to buy a new motherboard?

TY

2 minutes ago, MathiasBaade said:

my motherboard is only lga 1151

while the socket is a factor, make sure you understand chipsets.

A Z270 motherboard is LGA 1151, but doesn't support an i7-8700

also

1 minute ago, MathiasBaade said:

dangit, but thank u

please quote people so we can see your responses.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

-> Moved to CPUs, Motherboards and Memory

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

• 1 year later...

“A Z270 motherboard is LGA 1151, but doesn't support an i7-8700“.       It supports i7-i5 as I know of and currently I’m running a 8700k that supports 128gb ram

17 minutes ago, Legal criticism. said:

“A Z270 motherboard is LGA 1151, but doesn't support an i7-8700“.       It supports i7-i5 as I know of and currently I’m running a 8700k that supports 128gb ram

Not sure why you revived a year old thread to gainsay here, but from your comment it seems like you don't really get what was being discussed.

LGA1151 came in two versions which are physically identical (same number of pins arranged the same way) but electrically different (in essence Intel changed what pin does what).

LGA1151 "version 1" was the 100 and 200-series chipsets, and supported the 6000 and 7000-series CPU's (Skylake and Laby Lake).

LGA1151 "version 2" was the 300 and 400-series chipsets, and supported the 8000 and 9000-series CPU's (Coffee Lake and Coffee Lake Refresh).

It was possible to run the Coffee Lake CPU's on some LGA1151 "version 1" motherboards but only by doing user-made BIOS hacks; there was no official support from Intel. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16