[kinda PC-like gaming now possible on iPads] First iPad game with mouse+kb support emerges

saltycaramel
3 hours ago, saltycaramel said:

I have every right to speculate that some kid/teen/freshmen may decide to use an iPad as its main and only machine, gaming  included.

There's already people that only game on smartphones/iPads, but almost all of them are 2-11 year old kids that don't know any better and Grandmothers playing solitaire. The entire point of buying a device for college is being able to run a diverse program set, from office software, CAD, AI research etc, and yes, gaming with free time.

I honestly don't see iPad(or Mac to a slightly lesser extent) becoming a good purchasing decision for the majority of college students, it's just too locked down to allow the freedom and diversity most college students want/need and the performance per dollar just isn't there. Of course people going for a gender study degree or something similar can probably get away with buying literally anything lol

Huh, I'm sure I've seen a game with mouse on it years back though. Not sure what the rip pcmr is even there, that will never happen.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I’ve now edited the goofy clickbaity “RIP PCMR?” part of the title to avoid further controversy. 

2 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Huh, I'm sure I've seen a game with mouse on it years back though. Not sure what the rip pcmr is even there, that will never happen.

This is the first game that uses both the new GCKeyboard and GCMouse frameworks introduced iPadOS14 in 2020. 

There were already a number of games leveraging GCKeyboard but not both GCKeyboard and GCMouse.

This is different from using the keyboard as text input and the mouse as a simulated finger.

You may have seen someone using the mouse as a simulated finger in a game, which has been possible since 2019 as an accessibility feature.

Also it is now possible to drag and select

13 hours ago, Vishera said:

A PC is not just keyboard and mouse,it is about modularity and performance.

Even my GTX 1660 easily beats any Apple SOC out there,the difference in graphics performance is huge.

And Apple's best is not enough.

Apple products lost all the modularity they used to have.

I hope you realize you’re complaining about a tablet being able to play PC ports. As a PC gamer, I love my iPad Pro as a mobile computer. I’m able to play my desktop games through moonlight on it at 120fps. The IPad would be worse if it had modularity (besides an SD card slot) since it would make it bigger and bulkier. 

10 hours ago, leadeater said:

Not on this forum they don't 😉

It’s actually pretty decent if you you’re using something like moonlight where you just stream your own home computer. I use that to play games on my iPad while I’m on my lunch break since I can’t talk to people because of COVID. 

9 hours ago, like_ooh_ahh said:

Unless your name is Epic Games, those who would really want to port a AAA title to the App Store will probably just say "suck it up" to the 30% tax from in-app purchases for the reason that owners of iPads are more likely to pay for an in-app purchase.

Maybe not now and probably not by a lot of titles will be seen on the iPad. The AS Macs on the other hand will probably see some AAA titles if the rumors are indeed true that the 2021 16" MBP will have 8 performance cores and double the GPU cores and the 2021 iMac will indeed get 32 performance cores. Because AS Macs can run applications outside of the Mac App Store, game devs can just recompile and optimize for AS and they can bypass Apple's 30% tax because it's a Mac, not an iPhone or an iPad.

If the games are coded with M1 native support they should be easily transferable to the App Store since it’s the same silicon. I think that would make it more worth the effort for AAA developers. Think about it, you code the game to run on Mac and then you can throw it on every Apple TV and iPad with little extra effort. That is assuming they are eventually powerful enough to run the games reasonably well.

13 hours ago, Prodigy_Smit said:

Since when do phones and tablets of any company have modularity?

Apple makes computers too?

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Sorenson said:

If the games are coded with M1 native support they should be easily transferable to the App Store since it’s the same silicon. I think that would make it more worth the effort for AAA developers. Think about it, you code the game to run on Mac and then you can throw it on every Apple TV and iPad with little extra effort. That is assuming they are eventually powerful enough to run the games reasonably well.

Developers have the option in Xcode to make their iPad app an iPad exclusive. So far, very few iPad games that are optimized for touch input works well with mouse and keyboard

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 hour ago, like_ooh_ahh said:

Developers have the option in Xcode to make their iPad app an iPad exclusive. So far, very few iPad games that are optimized for touch input works well with mouse and keyboard

Oh, I was suggesting the opposite. Developing for Mac then porting to iPad.

6 hours ago, Sorenson said:

I hope you realize you’re complaining about a tablet being able to play PC ports. As a PC gamer, I love my iPad Pro as a mobile computer. I’m able to play my desktop games through moonlight on it at 120fps. The IPad would be worse if it had modularity (besides an SD card slot) since it would make it bigger and bulkier. 

I replied to OP saying that iPads will make gaming PCs obsolete just because a keyboard and mouse support was added to an iPad game.

That's no complaint,it's me helping OP face the facts.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

I’m able to play my desktop games through moonlight on it at 120fps.

And have a PC do all the hard work,even a refrigerator can do that:

The IPad would be worse if it had modularity (besides an SD card slot) since it would make it bigger and bulkier. 

It doesn't have to,Did the M.2 slots on the Macbook make it bulky?,No,it didn't.

Considering that NVME is PCI-E,you will be able to do a lot of things with it,especially if you have an extra one.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Wow this is exciting. To be honest, all you really need now is a computer to connect to the gaming computer via cloud. So long your internet can handle it that is. I think I am seriously going to think about getting an iPad for my next laptop, it works good enough honestly. 

9 minutes ago, Vishera said:

And have a PC do all the hard work,even a refrigerator can do that:

Why would a refrigerator being able to do it make it a bad thing? I have a mobile device that I use at work, with near 2 day battery life, that is crazy lite, and offers a better gaming experience than a 2060 laptop can away from an outlet. 

8 hours ago, Sorenson said:

Why would a refrigerator being able to do it make it a bad thing? I have a mobile device that I use at work, with near 2 day battery life, that is crazy lite, and offers a better gaming experience than a 2060 laptop can away from an outlet. 

better than a laptop with a 2060, doubt, at least the laptop doesn't require a constant connection to the internet, doesn't require your main PC to always stay on at  home, and if you ever end up in a remote place where off work entertainment is pretty much a luxury, at least that laptop will be able to run all the latest, offline, single player games.

Frankly if the solution to better on the go gaming is streaming, why spend the extra cash for an iPad? save money, get a cheaper laptop that has a prebuilt keyboard for much less than what it would take to take an iPad and any of the compatible keyboard that also act as stands for it. And spend the remaining money on improving your rig.

If you already have an iPad then sure, this is a welcomed extra. But to put it as a reason to buy it over anything else when anything else can do the exact same thing for way less, eeeeeeee....

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

4 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

better than a laptop with a 2060, doubt, at least the laptop doesn't require a constant connection to the internet, doesn't require your main PC to always stay on at  home, and if you ever end up in a remote place where off work entertainment is pretty much a luxury, at least that laptop will be able to run all the latest, offline, single player games.

The nvidia laptops need to be plugged in to preform even decently. However, you could always remote play on your nvidia laptop too. However, the PC can be sleeping with a properly configured wake-on-lan. If you want to play single player games remotely then the laptop is of course better, but that wasn't really my point. The iPad is a great mobile computing device, with a great screen, speakers, digital artwork tool, and offers a really decent gaming experience if you're open to it :)