Upgrade mobo, and cpu? Or gpu?

Hello and happy new year everyone.

I need a little advice, I don’t know if I should upgrade my gpu or cpu.

CPU - Upgrade to:

amd 5900x and strix x570-e

or,

gpu - Upgrade to:

asus strix 3080

my current system:

intel i7 8700k

asus gtx 1080ti strix

asus strix z370-h gaming

corsair vengence ddr4 3000mhz (I think)

wd black 500gb m.2 nvme

Corsair h110i 

best regards,

Jacquis

Welcome to the forum!

38 minutes ago, JacquisD said:

I need a little advice, I don’t know if I should upgrade my gpu or cpu.

CPU upgrade to amd 5900x and strix x570-e

or gpu upgrade to asus strix 3080

my current system:

intel i7 8700k

asus gtx 1080ti strix

It really depends on what you're missing at the moment.

I'd say an i7 8700 is still a pretty good CPU, but if your workload can leverage the extra threads and if you need it to be faster, a CPU upgrade could be worth it.

The 1080 Ti is also still a good videocard, but it depends on the context. If you're trying to play games in 4K at the highest settings, some games will be getting lower fps. A GPU upgrade can help in that instance.

So in that way, it depends on what you're missing out on in your current system.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I would upgrade to a 3070. The 3080 isn't as terrible a value as the 3090, but it's still pretty bad. There's not much of a performance difference either.

Edit: I'm also making assumptions that you're gaming, but more information would be helpful.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

What's hindering your performance now?

Good way to find out is launch applications you use then use a monitoring tool like msi afterburner to check GPU usage and individual CPU core usage, see which one is at or near full, that would be the thing to upgrade to get more performance

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

21 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

I would upgrade to a 3070. The 3080 isn't as terrible a value as the 3090, but it's still pretty bad. There's not much of a performance difference either.

Edit: I'm also making assumptions that you're gaming, but more information would be helpful.

21 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

What's hindering your performance now?

Good way to find out is launch applications you use then use a monitoring tool like msi afterburner to check GPU usage and individual CPU core usage, see which one is at or near full, that would be the thing to upgrade to get more performance

Okay, so I launch afterburn when I play, and see which is 100% useage? And the upgrade that component? 

2 minutes ago, JacquisD said:

Okay, so I launch afterburn when I play, and see which is 100% useage? And the upgrade that component? 

I would put it this way:

If GPU usage isn't pinned at above 95%, I would upgrade CPU

If GPU is consistently above 95%, I would upgrade GPU

This applies to most AAA games that are well optimised

Also consider upgrading monitor or peripherals as that also affects your gaming experience, if not more so

I think the real question OP should ask is "why do I need to upgrade? What do I hope to achieve with new hardware?".

Your hardware seems fine from what I can tell already. Do you really need an upgrade or do you just feel like you want to buy something new for the sake of buying something new? 

Is there some specific application you use that you want higher performance in? If so, what performance are you currently getting and what performance would you like to get? 

4 hours ago, JacquisD said:

You still haven't told us what you're doing.  For example, if you're gaming, a 5900X would be a terrible choice.  It performs almost the same as a 5600X in games.  And that doesn't perform much better than an 8700k.  And unless you're gaming at a high refresh rate, a new CPU would be completely pointless.  If you're gaming at 1080p though, a new GPU might be pointless, with the exception of hardware accelerated ray tracing.

Spending a lot of money doesn't mean you'll get performance.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

12 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

You still haven't told us what you're doing.  For example, if you're gaming, a 5900X would be a terrible choice.  It performs almost the same as a 5600X in games.  And that doesn't perform much better than an 8700k.  And unless you're gaming at a high refresh rate, a new CPU would be completely pointless.  If you're gaming at 1080p though, a new GPU might be pointless, with the exception of hardware accelerated ray tracing.

Spending a lot of money doesn't mean you'll get performance.

I mostly gaming, (can:go, lol, pubg, BF, assassins creed) and yes running 1080p now, with 144hz monitor. :)

16 hours ago, Moonzy said:

I would put it this way:

If GPU usage isn't pinned at above 95%, I would upgrade CPU

If GPU is consistently above 95%, I would upgrade GPU

This applies to most AAA games that are well optimised

Also consider upgrading monitor or peripherals as that also affects your gaming experience, if not more so

Im using a 24” Asus 144hz monitor, 1080p. But could changing the monitor also help.?

43 minutes ago, JacquisD said:

I mostly gaming, (can:go, lol, pubg, BF, assassins creed) and yes running 1080p now, with 144hz monitor. :)

41 minutes ago, JacquisD said:

Im using a 24” Asus 144hz monitor, 1080p. But could changing the monitor also help.?

Okay well your 1080 Ti will run most of those games great with your hardware. If you just really want an upgrade, then your GPU is the weakest component in that equation. If you can get an RTX 3070 or an RX 6800 at MSRP, that would be a decent upgrade for the money.

The RX 6800 performs better in normal games (all the ones you listed), but the RTX 3070 is better at anything with ray tracing (although neither can constantly achieve a stable 60fps with ray tracing on, so don't expect high frame rates).

That being said, I'd suggest waiting. Right now is a very poor time to buy any GPU. My guess is stock won't start to return to decent levels until March.

6 hours ago, JacquisD said:

You could consider going 1440p 144, though yours is still fine as it is

-> Moved to New Builds and Planning

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

8 hours ago, Moonzy said:

You could consider going 1440p 144, though yours is still fine as it is

Yeah I also had that in mind :/

15 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Okay well your 1080 Ti will run most of those games great with your hardware. If you just really want an upgrade, then your GPU is the weakest component in that equation. If you can get an RTX 3070 or an RX 6800 at MSRP, that would be a decent upgrade for the money.

The RX 6800 performs better in normal games (all the ones you listed), but the RTX 3070 is better at anything with ray tracing (although neither can constantly achieve a stable 60fps with ray tracing on, so don't expect high frame rates).

That being said, I'd suggest waiting. Right now is a very poor time to buy any GPU. My guess is stock won't start to return to decent levels until March.

Ah okay, didn’t know that. Thank you so much for your advice, hopefully the nvidia cards will be available again soon I Denmark, everything is out of stock 🙄