Hyper 212 Evo vs NH-U12S for 3600?

bdk74

Trying to swap the stock, no o/c of course since getting peak at 80c.

212 is at $33 +tax on amazon vs $45 +tax for NH but opened box (seems new) on eBay.

Thoughts?!

Peak at 80c is perfectly fine. What are you aiming to improve with a new cooler?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I would spend the extra 10 bucks on the Noctua because I don't like profiled heat pipes, or the gaps.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

3 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Peak at 80c is perfectly fine. What are you aiming to improve with a new cooler?

hey, just lower down the temp that's all. I don't like getting that hot although average says 52 (tctl/tdie @hwinfo) . Are you saying not worth it?!

2 minutes ago, bdk74 said:

hey, just lower down the temp that's all. I don't like getting that hot although average says 52 (tctl/tdie @hwinfo) . Are you saying not worth it?!

It may be worth it if you wanted something quieter or for more oc'ing room. If you were just worried about your temps being too high, they aren't. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I'm using Hyper 212 LED with 2 MF120R ARGB in push pull configuration, set exhaust to rear, and also provide top fan as intake. Temperature running at full load (all cores 100%) is about 72c with a burst speed of 4.2GHz all cores and gradually reduce and  maintain 3.9GHz after 10 minutes with fans spinning at 2000rpm and it is very silent. Ambient temperature is 36c. Also, continuing running the stress test after 2 hours and the CPU reaches about 3.8GHz at 75c.

Hope this gives you a little idea how effective it can cool the CPU with a beefy heat sink of Hyper 212 and using 2 fans with push pull configuration.

Note: The reason I changed the stock fan that comes with Hyper 212 LED is the stock fan doesn't really has high static pressure.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

NHU12S is awesome with the 3600... here are my temps...

Cyberpunk, Was 73c .. Now 60c
CS GO - Was 66c.. Now 55c
Idle After gaming - Was 40c... now 33c
Idle before gaming - Was 35c... now 29c

Stress test peaks at 73c

I didn't use the stock paste as I ran out of it and use ThermalRight TF8 instead

13 hours ago, Chiyawa said:

I'm using Hyper 212 LED with 2 MF120R ARGB in push pull configuration, set exhaust to rear, and also provide top fan as intake. Temperature running at full load (all cores 100%) is about 72c with a burst speed of 4.2GHz all cores and gradually reduce and  maintain 3.9GHz after 10 minutes with fans spinning at 2000rpm and it is very silent. Ambient temperature is 36c. Also, continuing running the stress test after 2 hours and the CPU reaches about 3.8GHz at 75c.

Hope this gives you a little idea how effective it can cool the CPU with a beefy heat sink of Hyper 212 and using 2 fans with push pull configuration.

Note: The reason I changed the stock fan that comes with Hyper 212 LED is the stock fan doesn't really has high static pressure.

but then it defeats the purpose of going budget hyper 212.

15 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

It may be worth it if you wanted something quieter or for more oc'ing room. If you were just worried about your temps being too high, they aren't. 

I don't think you can oc 3600 correct?! Never planned on ocing it anyway. If you are saying these are the standard "temps" what about the longevity? Were they made to accept that kind of heat or with the better cooler we should prolong its life?!

10 hours ago, venomx said:

NHU12S is awesome with the 3600... here are my temps...

Cyberpunk, Was 73c .. Now 60c
CS GO - Was 66c.. Now 55c
Idle After gaming - Was 40c... now 33c
Idle before gaming - Was 35c... now 29c

Stress test peaks at 73c

I didn't use the stock paste as I ran out of it and use ThermalRight TF8 instead

Thanks for the temps. Can you tell me what software did you use for that? Ryzen Master or something else?!

3 hours ago, bdk74 said:

I don't think you can oc 3600 correct?! Never planned on ocing it anyway. If you are saying these are the standard "temps" what about the longevity? Were they made to accept that kind of heat or with the better cooler we should prolong its life?!

You can oc it. And if you have a new model that quite often can hit 4.4GHz or even more all core with 1.28V, you really should oc it.

6 hours ago, bdk74 said:

80c is normal for load temps. 

Lower temps may prolong its life but likely by a negligible amount and you'd get a new system by then. I'm guessing it would go from lasting 20+ years to a bit longer. 

13 hours ago, bdk74 said:

but then it defeats the purpose of going budget hyper 212.

Yeah, I mean, that is purely optional. The included fan is not ideal, but still get the job done. My CPU still hit about 77c with the included fan after 10 minutes of stress test, so I decided to upgrade into better fan. You can look around for a cheaper high static pressure fan (preferably over 1.7 mmH2O). You can actually use 1 fan instead of 2 if you are living in colder country. I live in tropical country, so I need more fan as the environment temperature is hot.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

13 hours ago, bdk74 said:

Yes, you can OC your Ryzen 5 3600. However, I think the max you can go is 4.2GHz. So far I haven't have any luck OC above 4.2GHz.

XMP is also consider as OC, but it's for the memory controller side of the CPU. So if you enable XMP, you are basically OC your CPU and RAM.

Well, OC can reduce the life of the CPU, but as long as you don't go crazy and push way past its limit, it should be fine for a very long time. To increase the life of your CPU, maybe you can try to undervolt the CPU. I'm not very good at tinkering these settings, so I just leave everything to automatic.

Also, For many electronics, they can actually work at more than 120c (silicon side) but they have to reduce to 95c because to avoid solder joint from melting. 80c is still quite okay, and AMD had set this as the standard threshold, where it will throttled the CPU below its base frequency when it hits that temperature. I think the thermal cut-off is 90c, but I haven't tried that.