1 exhaust fan vs. 1 intake fan

my build x570 mobo brand new 

gtx 1660 ti (about 2-3 months old)

ryzen 3700x (got for christmas)

16gb of ram 

crappy deep cool case 

dont mind my shitty cable management i built this pc 2 years ago for the first time with no help i didn’t even realize you could tuck cables in the back 

okay so basically i recently upgraded to a new processor from a i3 7100 and i never had to worry about temps before . now i’ve started to see that sometimes during gaming, my gpu and case temps go up to 80+ and i’d like to bring it down any way possible . *AS OF RIGHT NOW* i only have 1 case fan and it’s exhausting out the back . i have a plastic side panel that i took off the case for better air flow but my main question is 

Would i get better temps/ airflow if i changed the exhaust to intake ? i will be getting a new fan when i can afford one

image.jpg

You could turn your powersupply around with the fan facing upwards, and then install the fan on the frontside. Therefore you have better airflow and temps will reduce. Would generally always go for positive pressure, so more intakes than exhaust fans

Well, you can start by reducing the voltage to the CPU and possibly reduce the power limit of the graphics card.

Experiment with the fan as an intake and as an exhaust, but 80 Celsius is fine.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

6 minutes ago, Bryndon D said:

16gb of ram 

crappy deep cool case 

dont mind my shitty cable management i built this pc 2 years ago for the first time with no help i didn’t even realize you could tuck cables in the back 

okay so basically i recently upgraded to a new processor from a i3 7100 and i never had to worry about temps before . now i’ve started to see that sometimes during gaming, my gpu and case temps go up to 80+ and i’d like to bring it down any way possible . *AS OF RIGHT NOW* i only have 1 case fan and it’s exhausting out the back . i have a plastic side panel that i took off the case for better air flow but my main question is 

Would i get better temps/ airflow if i changed the exhaust to intake ? i will be getting a new fan when i can afford one

image.jpg

If you keep the panel off, use it as exhaust. Ideally you want to add intake and exhaust fans. Meanwhile you can adjust the fan speed profile to max out the cpu fan if it hits 60 C for example. That should keep temps below 80 C.

5 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

Do you have the case model?

it was a super cheap deepcool case and it’s blue and black , not sure exactly

1 hour ago, Applefreak said:

If you keep the panel off, use it as exhaust. Ideally you want to add intake and exhaust fans. Meanwhile you can adjust the fan speed profile to max out the cpu fan if it hits 60 C for example. That should keep temps below 80 C.

that’s what i was thinking , just use my single case fan as an intake and keep the panel off till i get another fan. but i don’t think the cpu temps are the problem because i just installed it a couple days ago and i’m using the wraith prism . not sure if it’s the gpu or what . all i know is that the air blowing out the back of my pc is very hot 

1 hour ago, Fasauceome said:

Well, you can start by reducing the voltage to the CPU and possibly reduce the power limit of the graphics card.

Experiment with the fan as an intake and as an exhaust, but 80 Celsius is fine.

i have the 3700x voltage at 1.1 and the gpu limits out at 80 celsius , but i’m almost positive it’s the gpu that’s causing the heat , i’m not sure why because before when i was using my i3 7100 my temps were very cool and my pc actually exhausted cold air lol , another thing is i went from a micro atx board to the x570 gaming plus which is atx 

1 hour ago, lh99 said:

You could turn your powersupply around with the fan facing upwards, and then install the fan on the frontside. Therefore you have better airflow and temps will reduce. Would generally always go for positive pressure, so more intakes than exhaust fans

so have my psu fan blowing air up and move my case fan to the front where it will blow air into the case ? i can try but i’m not sure if my stupid case even has front mounting brackets lmao

Just now, Bryndon D said:

so have my psu fan blowing air up and move my case fan to the front where it will blow air into the case ? i can try but i’m not sure if my stupid case even has front mounting brackets lmao

Fyi The psu will exhaust air

Arctic p12 pwm costs like 5-6€. Id think you can afford one or three if you could afford that pc.

34 minutes ago, Bryndon D said:

i’m almost positive it’s the gpu that’s causing the heat , i’m not sure why because before when i was using my i3 7100 my temps were very cool

You do have 4 times the amount of cores, the i3 was basically always gonna run pretty cool

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 hours ago, Bryndon D said:

16gb of ram 

crappy deep cool case 

You can get a 120mm fan for under $5 if you look around. If your rear fan mount supports a 92mm--most cheapos do, and I see the mounting points for one--you can get those even cheaper off of literally any tower in any building, anywhere. If it supports an 80mm fan on the back, you can farm one of those from the cooler of literally any tower you see on the side of the road, in a trash can, whatever. There are cheap ways to get a temporary fan, and I would recommend using one in the back and moving the rear fan to the front.

3 hours ago, lh99 said:

Two points here:

• I am never a fan of making the PSU into your primary means of exhaust. I've seen horrible things happen to too many poorly-designed PCs back in the Pentium 4/Pentium D(isaster) days to try that again, ever, with anything more than the weakest T-chips or Celerons.

• To your point in bold, I agree to a point. If you only have one fan in your entire system and your cooler is a top-down, make it an exhaust. Something like a 212 Evo can be mounted so its hot air is forced out the back regardless of whether or not there's an exhaust fan. An AIO is presumably mounted as an exhaust anyway...and if someone is using an AIO with only one other case fan in a mid-tower, they need to re-evaluate their priorities a bit. A top-down cooler isn't going to do anything to move that air out. The hot air will just recirculate through the same place. Worse yet, with an open-air GPU cooler, that GPU air will be pulled up into the CPU cooler because there's nothing else giving it a strong nudge in the right direction. In short, if you're going to only have one case fan, you're usually going to want it to be a exhaust so that hot air gets pulled out instead of cycled through your CPU cooler over and over again.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

2 hours ago, narrdarr said:

Do you have the case model?

Know the type of case will help alot. It will show us all the areas that fans can be placed, what things can or can not be moved or removed for better airflow, whether or not the case is designed for positive or negative pressure, and more.

Please share the case model.

22 hours ago, narrdarr said:

Know the type of case will help alot. It will show us all the areas that fans can be placed, what things can or can not be moved or removed for better airflow, whether or not the case is designed for positive or negative pressure, and more.

Please share the case model.

I believe he has the old Tesseract case based on the internal HDD/SSD cages. The available fan configurations for that case is listed below.

image.thumb.png.0ff158f6d2206765c102bac5d2c95ec1.png

DeepCool Support