What are the differences between SSD and HDD other than loading time

Buki

Noise is the biggest problem with HDDs for me.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, superfantastic said:

Games that load in a lot of textures while you play can also run smoother

But is it really worth the extra money 

7 minutes ago, Buki said:

But is it really worth the extra money 

With prices right now? Yes. A 1TB SSD is getting very cheap and definintely worth the upgrade compared to a 1TB or 2TB hard drive. Even when considering a 3TB hard drive for  games, I'd still recommend an SSD of 1TB.

Price (per TB), max. capacity available, noise, size (physical size) and of course the load times.

Is it worth it? Depends for what.

Programs, games, video editing, OS? Yes.

Music, photos and documents? No, not currently IMO.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

24 minutes ago, Naijin said:

With prices right now? Yes. A 1TB SSD is getting very cheap and definintely worth the upgrade compared to a 1TB or 2TB hard drive. Even when considering a 3TB hard drive for  games, I'd still recommend an SSD of 1TB.

15 minutes ago, minibois said:

Price (per TB), max. capacity available, noise, size (physical size) and of course the load times.

Is it worth it? Depends for what.

Programs, games, video editing, OS? Yes.

Music, photos and documents? No, not currently IMO.

15 minutes ago, linuxfur said:

Absolutely. IMO, using a HDD for your operating system is very silly. SSDs are incredibly cheap. They obviously still make great places to store tons and tons of data on. But seriously not a good place to install your OS on or play games off of.

Any form of heavy continuous disk usage is very slow (e.g. playing open world games). The sounds are annoying. Very easy to suffer data loss when it's spinning. It chews up power. Normal-sized HDDs are heavy. You need to defrag it at least once a month or your speeds will drastically go down. You honestly name it.

SSDs solved so many complaints with spinning mechanical hard drives.

I forgot to mention, I am going to use it for my PS5, So I'm thinking about either getting 2TB of SSD for 220$~ or 4TB of HDD for 150$~ so I won't have to worry about storage, I don't mind waiting these 30 more seconds for a game to load but its like 100$ more so Idk

It's not only about load-times it's also about latency, everything you do on your PC will feel responsive and that's worth it to a lot of people, and HDD's do have a tendency to get slower overtime when they've been filled up or when you have a lot of programs installed assuming it's a Windows partition, it's not a mechanical fault but it's why many used to reformat their drives annually to make their PC feel faster again, that doesn't happen with SSDs as their performance stays consistent, I've also been slowly getting rid of HDD's on my system because I hated the noise.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

Just now, .Apex. said:

It's not only about load-times it's also about latency, everything you do on your PC will feel responsive and that's worth it to a lot of people, and HDD's do have a tendency to get slower overtime when they've been filled up or when you have a lot of programs installed assuming it's a Windows partition, it's not a mechanical fault but it's why many used to reformat their drives annually to make their PC feel faster again, that doesn't happen with SSDs as their performance stays consistent, I've also been slowly getting rid of HDD's on my system because I hated the noise.

I am getting it for my PS5 I forgot to mention that

14 minutes ago, Buki said:

I am getting it for my PS5 I forgot to mention that

Doesn't the PS5 only work with NVME drives in the first place?

File access time is a HUGE strength of an SSD.

1000 tiny files is exponentially faster loading on an SSD where both drives can't really max their speed in that operation,..(each tiny file is read or written before speeds ramp up) ...So the access time to find and use those files being literally magic speed on an SSD really helps pretty much every operation,. Big or Small.

Loading EACH file out of 1000 files big or small,. SSD for the Win

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz