Best to get Nintendo Switch new, or...

Mind_001

I am not afraid of refurbished products. I have a LOT of devices that were refurbished around here. 90% of them still work to this day.

Now, should I buy a new Nintendo Switch off the shelf from, say BestBuy? OR should I get it used from, say eBay?

Should I get the whole shebang, or just the tablet? Buy the dock, pro controller (I hate the numchucks) separately?

Anyone know about these, please? (I'll buy the games separate)

Buddy has a Switch, those controllers are nice for the kids.
But if you have somewhat grown hands you will almost NEED the 'normal looking' controller.
(But thats all i know so ill keep quiet now :) )

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

1 minute ago, HanZie82 said:

Buddy has a Switch, those controllers are nice for the kids.
But if you have somewhat grown hands you will almost NEED the 'normal looking' controller.
(But thats all i know so ill keep quiet now :) )

I have rather small hands for my age (35). BUT I felt those controllers with my cousin's one, and they just never fit right. So I tried the pro controller she had, and I was right at home.

I'm a retro guy. NES, SNES, N64, PS/2, GB PSP, etc. I just loved the way the SNES controller felt.

Completely up to you.  Nintendo sells refurbished switches on their website for $260.  But I'm pretty sure it's the older model and not the revision with better battery life.  Otherwise, just go new.

The joycons are nice for portable mode.  I have smaller hands and my hands have never cramped up from handheld play.  I use a bog standard Nintendo pro controller for when I'm playing docked.  If you're also wanting the SNES feel, look at the 8Bit Do SN30 Pro

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

Now this is a little interesting, because they actually started selling Nintendo Switches with improved battery life, and I mean pretty good battery life (look at videos on YouTube about it, you'll be impressed).

Everything else is about what you are going to use the console for.

Very rarely going to dock the console? Then go for a Nintendo Switch Lite.

Going to play games that use motion controls? Go for a normal Nintendo Switch with Joy Cons.

Buying just the tablet leads me to think that the Tablet itself would be in questionable condition.

It also depends on what games you are going to play. For Smash Bros, I would suggest getting a GameCube-style controller. Otherwise, my guide is this:

Casual, slower paced games and Motion-Control Games: Joy Cons (with a good grip)

Faster-paced games: Pro Controller