Should I wait for the M1 MacBook Pro 16?

Hi,

I am going to buy a new laptop for myself, and since I owned a MacBook Pro 13" before, I will be continuing using MacOS. I have decided to go for a MacBook Pro 16" with the Radeon Pro 5600M Graphics, the i9 processor and 32 gigs of RAM. I'm not sure if I should wait for the new M1 MBP 16 which is due to release next year. I've seen a lot of reviews of the M1 macbooks and a lot of third party apps and software (which I use a lot) don't work on it. Also, since this is the first ever product in the Apple Silicone lineup, I wouldn't want to be taking a risk by going for it...It'd be as if I was a tester to find out flaws which would then be fixed in the second iteration...Also, I'm not sure if the M1 offers an equally powerful GPU option as the 5600M...One more thing, should I upgrade to 64gb RAM or it isn't necessary? I would really appreciate your input in the same...

12 minutes ago, Slottr said:

What will you use this system for?

My bad I'm sorry... Imma be editing videos on FCPX, animation, 3D rendering and producing music(FL Studio) on it...I will be hooking it up to a 49" monitor (the Odyssey G9, although I'd appreciate if yall could tell me if there were any better alternatives) for more screen surface area...I know this is vague, but is gaming possible on the MBP with these specs? And if yall could lemme know if I need to upgrade to 64gb RAM or is 32 gigs enough, I'd really appreciate it...But my main doubt still remains if I should wait for the M1 mbp 16...

9 minutes ago, jaslion said:

What are you even going to be doing on that laptop?

My bad, sorry...I've posted it above now...

2 minutes ago, Harit Paurana said:

My bad I'm sorry... Imma be editing videos on FCPX, animation, 3D rendering and producing music(FL Studio) on it...I will be hooking it up to a 49" monitor (the Odyssey G9, although I'd appreciate if yall could tell me if there were any better alternatives) for more screen surface area...I know this is vague, but is gaming possible on the MBP with these specs? And if yall could lemme know if I need to upgrade to 64gb RAM or is 32 gigs enough, I'd really appreciate it...But my main doubt still remains if I should wait for the M1 mbp 16...

What software do you use for each of the above?

To my knowledge, Big Sur is currently having issues with high resolutions (I haven't noticed this at all, but apparently it's present)

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Just now, Slottr said:

What software do you use for each of the above?

FCPX, Motion, Photoshop, FL Studio, Maya and Blender, and if possible, some games from Steam/Epic

1 minute ago, Harit Paurana said:

Well you said it right there. Your stuff doesn't work on it so unless it does by the time you get a m1 then there is no point. But then again you are stuck on a intel mac that is probably gonna be supported till 2022-2023 and then be ditched which sucks for a almost 4k config. Also a small tip but the i9 isn't really worth it due to cooling issues and the 6 core i7 performs very close if not identical to it especially in your tasks there it's gonna be almost identical but you save a heap of money. Unless you are doing crazy crazy renders 32gb is fine. I do 3d art on semi pro to pro level and I often forget I have been on 16gb ram for a month and a bit due to my other kit breaking :p.

Gaming is possible but as usual you pay a lot of money for not much laptop with apple and at best it's just a mid range gaming laptop/mid range laptop in every aspect now thanks to amd if you compare it to pc stuff. So sure 1080p 60fps gaming no issue higher don't bother.

35 minutes ago, Harit Paurana said:

Hi,

I am going to buy a new laptop for myself, and since I owned a MacBook Pro 13" before, I will be continuing using MacOS. I have decided to go for a MacBook Pro 16" with the Radeon Pro 5600M Graphics, the i9 processor and 32 gigs of RAM. I'm not sure if I should wait for the new M1 MBP 16 which is due to release next year. I've seen a lot of reviews of the M1 macbooks and a lot of third party apps and software (which I use a lot) don't work on it. Also, since this is the first ever product in the Apple Silicone lineup, I wouldn't want to be taking a risk by going for it...It'd be as if I was a tester to find out flaws which would then be fixed in the second iteration...Also, I'm not sure if the M1 offers an equally powerful GPU option as the 5600M...One more thing, should I upgrade to 64gb RAM or it isn't necessary? I would really appreciate your input in the same...

I'd like to ask: why do you want the 16-inch model? How much of it is the screen size versus performance? If it's mainly the performance, I'd hold off for an Apple Silicon-based model if you can. Right now I'd get the 16-inch model mainly if I needed the extra screen real estate, more than 16GB of RAM or guaranteed app compatibility.

From the sounds of it, you might be a good fit for the current 16-inch model, but if you don't absolutely need to get one right now, wait until spring if you can.

10 minutes ago, Commodus said:

I'd like to ask: why do you want the 16-inch model? How much of it is the screen size versus performance? If it's mainly the performance, I'd hold off for an Apple Silicon-based model if you can. Right now I'd get the 16-inch model mainly if I needed the extra screen real estate, more than 16GB of RAM or guaranteed app compatibility.

From the sounds of it, you might be a good fit for the current 16-inch model, but if you don't absolutely need to get one right now, wait until spring if you can.

I don't mind waiting, but if the m1 is released, it might be an issue regarding the intel stocks...The thing that I'm mainly concerned with is the graphics...I'm not sure if the M1 graphics are as good as the 5600M...And if you don't mind me asking, what's up in spring? Like is the M1 16" gonna be released then?

7 minutes ago, Harit Paurana said:

I don't mind waiting, but if the m1 is released, it might be an issue regarding the intel stocks...The thing that I'm mainly concerned with is the graphics...I'm not sure if the M1 graphics are as good as the 5600M...And if you don't mind me asking, what's up in spring? Like is the M1 16" gonna be released then?

The rumors (these are unofficial, but from credible outlets) are that Apple introduces eight- or 12-core MacBook Pros as early as the spring. In other words, it'll be a lot faster than the M1, and that chip is already competing with maxed-out MBPs on raw CPU power.

GPU performance is a tougher call. I wouldn't say the M1 graphics are on par with the Radeon 5600M, but that rumored 16-inch MBP upgrade would also deliver a 16- or even 32-core GPU versus the 8 in M1-based Macs. And don't forget that Apple's optimization can go a long way. 3D modelling I'm not so sure about, but the current 13-inch MBP is already a champ for editing 4K video... I wouldn't be surprised if the 16-inch Apple Silicon model with an "M1X" (or whatever it's called) is a speed demon.

I bought mine 6 months ago specifically because I knew M1 was coming and I had a good feeling that Parallels support for x86 Windows was going to be sketchy at best and I didn’t want to risk issues with Adobe.

Turns out that I made the correct choice... You need to evaluate what you use, whether there are problems currently with said software and what the timeline is for the developers to release native versions.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

Better wait,in spring should new 16 mbo come out,with better cpu,and probably gpu aswell.

And until then a lot more programs will be optimized for sillicon chip