Issues with VLC playing Blu-Ray drives in LG DVD drive Model: wh16ns40

_Grid21

I recently bought 2 LG wh16ns40 one for my home theater PC and the other for my personal rig. I am having issues with VLC player trying to read my Blu-ray discs as I am getting errors such as. I have followed most of the guides online about getting the KEYDB.cfg files, getting AACS.dll, and after installing them in the directories there suppose to go into, I am still having issues and even more annoying is LG doesn't have any software support for the drives and I don't think I should have to pay money for special software to play these discs. What am I missing? And is there some alternate software I need to be looking into to watch these Blu-Ray Discs? 

"Blu-ray error:

This Blu-ray Disc needs a library for BD+ decoding, and your system does not have it.

Your input can't be opened:

VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///D:/'. Check the log for details."
and
"

Blu-ray error:

This Blu-ray Disc needs a library for BD+ decoding, and your system does not have it.

VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///D:/'. Check the log for details.

Blu-ray error:

No valid processing key found in AACS config file.

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2Ghz Pinnacle Ridge | Asus Prime X570-Pro | Corsair Vengeances RGB PRO 64GB 3200Mhz | EVGA Nvidia Geforce 3060 XC | EVGA G2 SuperNova 750 Watt PSU

I am assuming you are using Windows. So have you tried it with other media players such as Media Player which comes installed on Windows because personally, I believe VLC sucks.

12 minutes ago, _Grid21 said:

What am I missing?

The fact that Sony pretty much owns the format and makes it difficult. VLC was the only free option I knew about to play disks directly. Even then it was never a perfect solution. Sony is trying hard to make sure Blurays are not easily cracked like DVD's were. 

My advice is to use something like Make MKV and rip the movie on to your hard disk. See if it plays fine that way. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 minutes ago, Awesome84 said:

I am assuming you are using Windows. So have you tried it with other media players such as Media Player which comes installed on Windows because personally, I believe VLC sucks.

win10 doesn't support blu ray in their apps sadly.  not sure how to fix the vlc issue, but i use leawo to play blu rays. not the best, but does the job, and is free.

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

The fact that Sony pretty much owns the format and makes it difficult. VLC was the only free option I knew about to play disks directly. Even then it was never a perfect solution. Sony is trying hard to make sure Blurays are not easily cracked like DVD's were. 

My advice is to use something like Make MKV and rip the movie on to your hard disk. See if it plays fine that way. 

4 minutes ago, Awesome84 said:

I found this database site and was able to get one of my discs going. http://fvonline-db.bplaced.net/

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2Ghz Pinnacle Ridge | Asus Prime X570-Pro | Corsair Vengeances RGB PRO 64GB 3200Mhz | EVGA Nvidia Geforce 3060 XC | EVGA G2 SuperNova 750 Watt PSU

1 minute ago, bmx6454 said:

win10 doesn't support blu ray in their apps sadly.  not sure how to fix the vlc issue, but i use leawo to play blu rays. not the best, but does the job, and is free.

I didn't know that sadly, because I never used a blueray disc on my Windows laptop

Ok, so I am still having issues with my other Blu-Ray disc. 

Getting this error now.

"Blu-ray error:

2 minutes ago, _Grid21 said:

Ok, so I am still having issues with my other Blu-Ray disc. 

Getting this error now.

"Blu-ray error:

Like I said. Sony doesn't want people to be able to do this. They keep tweaking the encryption. The best way to do Bluray on PC is to rip it to the hard disk or Pay for that power DVD software suite that costs like $80. Because while free solutions exist, they are not supported and may or may not work. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

Like I said. Sony doesn't want people to be able to do this. They keep tweaking the encryption. The best way to do Bluray on PC is to rip it to the hard disk or Pay for that power DVD software suite that costs like $80. Because while free solutions exist, they are not supported and may or may not work. 

Well isn't ripping a Disc illegal? Trying to play by the rules here. 

Just now, _Grid21 said:

Well isn't ripping a Disc illegal? Trying to play by the rules here. 

If you are worried bout the FBI kicking in your door, they wont. As long as you dont share the files, you have nothing to be worried about. 

Im going to take it you never crossed the street outside of a cross walk either. 

6 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

If you are worried bout the FBI kicking in your door, they wont. As long as you dont share the files, you have nothing to be worried about. 

Im going to take it you never crossed the street outside of a cross walk either. 

Well I have, but as much as I can I try to play by the rules. The only thing that confuses me is, when you rip a Blu-Ray movie, how do you get all the special features, menus, etc, to come with the rip so you can pick and choose what you wanna watch?

8 minutes ago, _Grid21 said:

Well I have, but as much as I can I try to play by the rules. The only thing that confuses me is, when you rip a Blu-Ray movie, how do you get all the special features, menus, etc, to come with the rip so you can pick and choose what you wanna watch?

Not sure. I do know that Make MKV allows you to take away features. Like subtitles and such as you can save data that way. I normally dont watch the special features or care about the menus. I think I stripped all of that out of my video files to be honest. 

• 3 months later...
On 12/21/2020 at 10:27 PM, bmx6454 said:

Thank you so much!  I've been pulling my hair out all day trying to find a free software that just does what ya supposed to!