People's thorts on Alienware M17x

matto97

My mum after a year of going back and forth with dell is finally getting her M17X-R4 replaced with a new laptop which is the new M17x and i was wondering what you guys think of it. After a year of haveing a repair guy come out to fix the GPU like every week and phoning them every day to say its still not working they finally sed yes we will replace it but we my mum wanted money back after a year of haveing this $3500 computer not working :P . And people wonder why alienware sucks

Desktop: CPU: I7-5820K GPU: 980Ti, 750Ti PhysX Mobo: MSI X99A SLI PLUS RAM: 4x4 Kingston DDR4 2400MHz OS: Win10
Storage: 250GB Samsung Evo, 3TB WD Black and Green FIRESTRIKE, Reason for dedicated PhysX Card.

Peripherals: Screen: 3x BenQ VZ2350 Mouse: Razer Naga Keyboard: Some Dell Thing Sound: Razer Tiamat, 5.1 Logitech Surround Speakers

never buy alienware, i have one i use it and i hate it so much

"I've been mad for fucking years, absolutely years, I've been over the edge for yonks..."

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us are...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."

"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark."

My mum after a year of going back and forth with dell is finally getting her M17X-R4 replaced with a new laptop which is the new M17x and i was wondering what you guys think of it. After a year of haveing a repair guy come out to fix the GPU like every week and phoning them every day to say its still not working they finally sed yes we will replace it but we my mum wanted money back after a year of haveing this $3500 computer not working :P . And people wonder why alienware sucks

As DBells said, Alienware are just over hyped and over priced piece of hardware. 

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

01-how-about-no-bear.jpg

Current Build: Case: Define R4 White/Window CPU: i5 3470 @4.0Ghz GPU: GTX 680 DCUII +500Mhz(Mem) Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Monitor: Acer Monitor 1920x1080 MOBO: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 Storage: 2TB HDD, 120GB 840 EVO (OS)

Future Build: 4670K, GTX 780 MSI TwinFrozr OC, Z87X-D3H, 8GB @1866Mhz, 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 750D, RM 650W, Custom Loop. White/Blue/Black Colour Scheme. I literally cannot wait *_*

<<< See pic <<<

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Why does your mom need an alienware laptop? Does she game?

ASUS ROG G75VX

Intel i7-3630QM 2.4GHz/3.4GHz Turbo | Nvidia GeForce 670MX 3GB OCed to 736MHz | 750GB HDD | Windows 8.1 | 24 GB 1600MHz RAM | Razer Goliathus Medium | Logitech G400s | Razer Kraken/ JBL J22 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX blue

Lol 2 years ago when my mum was looking for a new comp she wanted a alienware and i was like NOOOO she was like what do you know and im like to her for 1 its $3500 and all you do is play Sims and some MMO's and shes like yeah so i need it and i even showed her laptops cheaper and just as good for what she did but didnt listen to me lol and even after a year of going back and forth with dell she still doesnt believe me lol

Desktop: CPU: I7-5820K GPU: 980Ti, 750Ti PhysX Mobo: MSI X99A SLI PLUS RAM: 4x4 Kingston DDR4 2400MHz OS: Win10
Storage: 250GB Samsung Evo, 3TB WD Black and Green FIRESTRIKE, Reason for dedicated PhysX Card.

Peripherals: Screen: 3x BenQ VZ2350 Mouse: Razer Naga Keyboard: Some Dell Thing Sound: Razer Tiamat, 5.1 Logitech Surround Speakers

MSI, razer blade (2014). Not alienware, nothing special about them and they are overpriced. I think you could say a mac is better.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

Your spelling and run on sentences are killing me... :unsure:

Mentioning Alienware on a Tech Forum = :rolleyes:

Im on my 4th gaming laptop, M11x r1, Asus G1s, Dell M1730, Alienware M18x r2,

M11x is still going (from 2009 or something, though slow now), the Asus motherboard exploded because why not, the dell had a few issues but everytime i called i got a next day engineer at my house to fit new parts (only 2 or 3 times tbh) and my m18x hasnt had a single problem in the 2 years i have had it.

They arn't as bad as people make out, just most people arnet prepared to spend the money they cost

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

You can't go wrong with a Y510p!

Help me I'm surrounded by morons.

Alienwares are like Japanise Cars. Good looking, flashy but really bad componets, that die fatser than others. The lights are great, and so is the paint, but the overall build quality is not great. Plus they are quite heavy so not vary portable. If in-portability isnt a problem ten get a desktop :D

you've obviously never owned a hilux or a landcruiser :-P

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

I spend half that on my Asus g73 laptop 3 yrs ago and it is still working fine other then the battery, and the bluray drive doesn't like to write disks any more.

"Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response."

Arthur M. Schlesinger

how about the new xps 15?  i have it and i love it!

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace

Get her the Lenovo Y510p please. The one with SLI. It is so sexy and the built quality is just typical Lenovo;very good.

Get the new ASUS ROG laptops or something. Alienwares are bricks.

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

meh, it's good looking, but too high of a price for me

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

Alienwares are like Japanise Cars. Good looking, flashy but really bad componets, that die fatser than others. The lights are great, and so is the paint, but the overall build quality is not great. Plus they are quite heavy so not vary portable. If in-portability isnt a problem ten get a desktop :D

wat...

My compooter: http://imgur.com/a/mDFsx?

nsx, gtr, supra, rx8, speed3, speed6, s2000, miata. do i need to go on?

Current: CPU: Intel i7-8700k. Mobo: Gigabyte - Z370 AORUS Gaming 5. RAM: 16gb G Skill Trident Z RGB. GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 Super.

First: CPU: AMD FX-8350 @4.5GHz. Mobo: Asus ROG crosshair V formula-Z. RAM: 8GB Patriot Viper XTreme. GPU: Asus Radeon 7950.

Lots of bias and unwarranted hate toward Alienware in this topic. 

Alienware laptops are the only gaming laptops I would recommend past a budget of $2000 because of the unmatched customer service you get. If any component breaks at all, you will have a technician at your house within a day or two fixing it. Dell also offer's accidental damage warranties should you desire which most other companies do not (ie if you drop your laptop and ruin it you aren't out $3000). 

As to the build quality, I have used many gaming laptops in the past including those from Lenovo, Asus and Sager and my m17x has trumped them all in terms of how nice it feels to use. People saying it uses bad parts, what are you basing that off of? Alienware uses the same components as any other gaming laptop manufacturer and are completely modular and upgradeable. If you get one from Xoticpc you can even choose exactly which brand you want for each part and Alienware offers the most powerful graphics cards from Nvidia (in SLI configurations). 

I've had an m17x for two years now and its running just as well now as it did when I got it. It's very easy to clean (Two screws and the back is off exposing all of the components) and was only $100 more than the 9170 Sager was at the time. Which for the warranty alone is a much better deal. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've had my M17x R4 for just over a year. I got a pretty nice discount that got me a new one from Dell for $1800 AUD. It's a powerful little beast and I've opened it and changed out to some faster memory and an SSD which made it even better.

If you need to carry this thing around it's heavy and bulky. It's very possible to take it where you need to go (I've brought it to uni, work, on holiday, etc) but you can't help wish it was thinner and lighter. But then again that's where you can lose a lot of its power.

This isn't a laptop or a notebook. It's a portable desktop.

I'm currently looking at getting the new Razer Blade 14 (2014) for work since I now have to catch the train. Another good suggestion is the MSI GS60 which looks to be a bit more affordable (but not that much in AUS).

I haven't had any problem with alienware/dell or their service, then again if anything goes wrong, I fix it myself.

One of the biggest benefits to basically any dell (and I think HP and Lenovo may have something similar) is that they offer next business day warranty service at your house. If your GPU dies, or motherboard eats it, you're usually back up in running in a day, maybe 2 at the most. Worst case, you have to wait through a weekend. Razer, Asus, Sager, basically all the other gaming laptops that people recommend, if something goes wrong with them, you're without a notebook for at least a week, usually 2 or 3, if not more, and almost always have to pay to ship it back to the manufacturer to get it fixed. While that doesn't justify the price premium to some, it does for others. It's also not to say that the other companies don't make great products, because many of them do. It's just something else to take in to consideration before you buy. 

Desktop: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.1Ghz Enermax 360L  Gigabyte Aorus Extreme   Zotac 1080Ti AMP Extreme  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900  EVGA SuperNova 1000w G2  LG 34GK950f & ASUS PA248Q Klipsch Reference/Audeze Mobius

Synology Wireless AC-2600

Laptop: Alienware 17R5   Intel i7 8750H  Nvidia GTX1080   3840x2160 4k AdobeRGB IGZO Display   32GB DDR4 2133   256GB+1TB NVMe SSD    1TB Seagate SSHD   Killer 1550 Dual-Band Wireless AC