Newegg intentionally deceptive advertising practices

rob6026

2018.11.13          I ordered a refurbished Asus monitor with a one-year warranty.

2019.8.14            The monitor ceased working. Newegg customer service stated I was shipped a refurbished monitor with a 90-day warranty. The emailed invoice did not state whether the monitor was new/refurb/as-is or its warranty term.There was no documentation with the monitor.

2019.08.15          Asus Canada says the monitor is not refurbished, it is "as-is". They offer to trouble shoot it, but I have to ship it to Ontario. Newegg doesn't offer to do anything.

2019.08.19          Registered letter sent to Newegg Canada Inc., no response.

2019.08.29          Registered letter sent to Newegg Canada Inc., no response.

2019.09.19          Complaint to Better Business Bureau. A representative for Newegg refused to disclose any information showing  Asus Canada was incorrect and the monitor was actually refurbished.

2019.09.25          Consumer Protection BC stated that Newegg’s conduct in this matter appears to constitute one or more offenses – deceptive act or practice – under the Business Practices and Consumer Protection Act.

Newegg has all the power here. The consumer has no way of knowing if the product they receive is the product they ordered. The only way to check, if you believe Newegg won't deceive you, is to compare the item number on the invoice with the web site. Why should a consumer have to do that?

Newegg lists this monitor at four different price points. If you select "compare" it lists forty different attrributes - and they all identical. What's different is that warranties on the four monitors vary from three years to three months. And Newegg doesn't include the only point where they differ in the comparison.

Is that a coincidence or intentionally deceptive? Compare Newegg's actual business practices with their mission statement and then shop somewhere else.

Amazon has CIA  / State Mafia contracts woth millions / billions. I have had some 'incidences' with completely false items being advertised and not delivered. Also used items. 

B&H (new york) has sent me used items. As has Adorama.

Newegg was also caught selling graphics cards without proper packaging recently.

Retailers will be retailers. They are crooks. Newegg and B&H has a sane search system. Amazon has by far the worst search feature of any website I have ever used, with some of the worst, most unrelated 'descriptions' used to describe a product. Bezos is a crook.

It's been awhile since I've ordered refurb from Newegg, but I'd be curious to see the invoice/e-mail confirmation as it seems odd that it wouldn't mention refurbished anywhere at all.

That being said, Asus wouldn't know if the monitor was refurbished or not; as per how refurbished products are listed on Newegg, they state that item is tested as working and repaired to the standards of the refurbisher, which may or may not be the actual manufacturer. Whether that is their own tech team or using an outside company, we don't know.

As to your listing and price complaint, they also have a market system for third party sellers akin to Amazon, and further differentiate a "refurbished" listing from "new" listings. Newegg themselves only have one listing (well two, if new and refurbished).

Warranties will typically differ between each seller, no different than any other retailer who has separate policies in conjunction or separate from the manufacturer. A warranty is also different if the item is refurbished.

I once bought an Open Box stereo from Newegg.  It arrived beat the hell up in the same box that the previous owner had returned it to Newegg...with their address information and previous RMA sticker on the box.  I plugged it in and it showed instantly an error code, google it - blown amp.

I contact Newegg to return it.  They didnt want to pay shipment back.  I escalated (but didnt tell the rep I had the RMA and contact info of the previous owner, address everything).  Finally after 2 escalations the "Manager" was trying to just end the phone call.  Thats when I dropped the bomb about this being an RMA'd product shipped to me as open box and I will absolutely be calling my bank and getting charges reversed and they can eat the items cost completely.  They backpedaled, denied, and then I read off the RMA number, persons name, address etc and then it was all: What can we do to make this right sir.

They paid for the return, reimbursed me and gave me a $100 store credit.

I contacted the party shortly after that previously owned it and told them that Newegg was giving out their information in this way just so they were aware.  Not sure if they did anything about it.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

17 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

I once bought an Open Box stereo from Newegg.  It arrived beat the hell up in the same box that the previous owner had returned it to Newegg...with their address information and previous RMA sticker on the box.  I plugged it in and it showed instantly an error code, google it - blown amp.

I contact Newegg to return it.  They didnt want to pay shipment back.  I escalated (but didnt tell the rep I had the RMA and contact info of the previous owner, address everything).  Finally after 2 escalations the "Manager" was trying to just end the phone call.  Thats when I dropped the bomb about this being an RMA'd product shipped to me as open box and I will absolutely be calling my bank and getting charges reversed and they can eat the items cost completely.  They backpedaled, denied, and then I read off the RMA number, persons name, address etc and then it was all: What can we do to make this right sir.

I contacted the party shortly after that previously owned it and told them that Newegg was giving out their information in this way just so they were aware.  Not sure if they did anything about it.

That is one helluva story and I'm glad you got in their asses. These companies really be out here wilding like some of us won't pull their cards with the quickness.

Leonidas Specs: Ryzen 7 5800X3D | AMD 6800 XT Midnight Black | MSI B550 Gaming Plus | Corsair Dominator CL16 3200 MHz  4x8 32GB | be quiet! Silent Base 802

Maximus Specs: Ryzen 7 3700x | AMD 6700 XT Power Color Fighter | Asrock B550M-Itx/AC | Corsair Vengeance CL 16 3200 MHz 2x8 16 GB | Fractal Ridge Case (HTPC)

23 hours ago, Tristerin said:

They're doing nothing for me. They even ignored the letters I paid $10 to have delivered by registered mail. I expect I will be filing a civil claim in January.

Their web site claims that any civil proceedings have to go through a court in California! That claim "appears" to be a violation of BC consumer protection law.

pretty sure you can't make someone sue you in california if your doing business in Candia.  Not sure on Candia law but if this was USA and you in the area of there local address take it to small claims..  if they don't show you may need to do the extra paperwork to send the sharifs to go phystcaly collect either the money or real property (fee for this get added to what newegg owes.  at least in US law no idea if same will work there.

Just now, True said:

Candia

Canada?

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

On 12/17/2020 at 2:25 PM, Tristerin said:

Absolute breach of privacy and obvious scam on Newegg's part. What a fucking joke. Remind me to never buy anything "refurbished" unless it's from a classified listing.

15 minutes ago, wall03 said:

Canada?

Who cares if he misspelled one word? It really doesn't matter dude.

Just now, Joseph K said:

Who cares if he misspelled one word? It really doesn't matter dude.

I was confirming that Canada is the country he meant.

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

The only two things I've ever purchased from Newegg were a CX750 and a  XFX R9 270X many years ago...I've heard similar stories with Newegg and some with Amazon. The only retailer that has treated me great was Micro Center. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

1 hour ago, True said:

pretty sure you can't make someone sue you in california if your doing business in Candia.  Not sure on Candia law but if this was USA and you in the area of there local address take it to small claims..  if they don't show you may need to do the extra paperwork to send the sharifs to go phystcaly collect either the money or real property (fee for this get added to what newegg owes.  at least in US law no idea if same will work there.

It's a blatant attempt to suppress any customers who can't get Newegg to resolve the problem. I reviewed this web page with our consumer protection agency and they said claiming they couldn't be sued in Canada was an offense under consumer legislation.
I heard Newegg had a great reputation until they were bought up by a new owner from China. Don't know if that's true or not.

So every time I post my complaint on the Newegg Facebook page I get a two sentence reply expressing sincere concern and asking me to DM them. When I contact them sometimes they don't even respond! When they do it's the boiler plate too bad we don't care reply.

Clearly Newegg replies on their Facebook page are just a face saving gesture.

I sent my demand letter by FedEx on December 17. FedEx charged $25 for overnight delivery with a signature to an address about a 20 minute drive from the FedEx agent. Now there's value for your money.

It's now been 6 days and there's no sign of the letter being delivered. Not much service for that $25 fee. I probably could have sent it via Uber in an hour for less money.