RTX On..... on your SNES?

Master Disaster
6 hours ago, Drama Lama said:

who needs high fps details and resolution if you can have raytracing

Direct nVidia quote, I'm sure.

6 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Isn’t RTX an Nvidia branding for their ray-tracing hardware? I’m rather conflicted. On one hand, I don’t really approve of referring to all uses of real-time ray-tracing as RTX. On the other hand, it would be quite amusing if RTX becomes so ubiquitous that it actually loses trademark protection. 

Same. This is part of my 'conspiracy theory' as to why 20 series was so bad: so nVidia could have the most important of claims: mind-share.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

9 hours ago, tikker said:

Yep, RTX is ray tracing, but ray tracing isn't necessarily RTX. It is just Nvidia's hardware-accelerated implementation of ray tracing. Under the hood it interfaces with Direct X Raytracing (DXR) or Vulkan (don't know of any games using OptiX). I guess because RTX is currently the best, or at least most prominent, option it's slowly becoming synonymous with ray tracing in the context of games for better or for worse.

RTX doesn't just mean Ray Tracing though. RTX is a platform that includes many different technologies including Ray Tracing and DLSS. I can't help but laugh at nVidia when people always boil it down to RTX = Ray Tracing.

The RTX platform provides software APIs and SDKs running on advanced hardware to provide solutions capable of accelerating and enhancing graphics, photos, imaging and video processing. These include:

• Ray Tracing (OptiX, Microsoft DXR, Vulkan)
  • AI-Accelerated Features (NGX)
  • Rasterization (Advanced Shaders)
  • Simulation (CUDA 10, PhysX, Flex)
  • Asset Interchange Formats (USD, MDL)

Source

5 hours ago, The1Dickens said:

Direct nVidia quote, I'm sure.

Same. This is part of my 'conspiracy theory' as to why 20 series was so bad: so nVidia could have the most important of claims: mind-share.

If they take it too far to the point that anything ray-traced gets called RTX, the brand could become a generic trademark.  😉

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generic_trademark

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

11 hours ago, Dr_Whom said:

RTX doesn't just mean Ray Tracing though. RTX is a platform that includes many different technologies including Ray Tracing and DLSS. I can't help but laugh at nVidia when people always boil it down to RTX = Ray Tracing.

That is true, it's a toolkit for AI assisted stuff as well. Though given that the RT part (most likely) stands for ray tracing and the main purpose of the RT cores is to do ray tracing calculations, I would say ray tracing is the main focus of RTX. I suppose the correct wording is "RTX (enabled) ray tracing", but hell even Nvidia markets ray tracing as "RTX OFF vs. RTX ON" 😛

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB