Is it legal?

Can a so called company that actually claims to have a partnership with Nvidia sale Nvidia's products at a higher value? Were I live the only way of getting a 3080 or any 30 series graphics card is true Best Buy but spoiler there’s only two Best Buy in the Island and they told me they never got a shipment for any of the new graphics card not even at lunch date. So now I found myself looking true the internet and found this place that claim to have them, with evidence and they also claim to have a partnership with Nvidia. But when I ask for pricing of the 3080 ti they said that the price is 1,000.00 US dollars an I was wondering if that’s legal? I’m from Puerto Rico if anybody can answer my question I’ll be thankful. 

MSRP = Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price.

No, the retailer can definitely and legally increase pricing beyond MSRP. No law governs that.

Also lying by itself isn't illegal. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

MSRP = Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price.

No, the retailer can definitely and legally increase pricing beyond MSRP. No law governs that.

If fact there are laws that prevent the manufacture from forcing their prices if I remember correctly, although not digitally. 

Chicago Bears fan, Bear Down

1 minute ago, AndrewZScorpion said:

Run away. There is no 3080 TI (at least not yet)

It's supposed to be released 2021 January. Not sure how true the rumors are....

MSRP 999$

Just now, SlashedM said:

If fact there are laws that prevent the manufacture from forcing their prices if I remember correctly, although not digitally. 

Not here in the US, that's for sure.

Unless you buy a 3080 off of eBay, you're going to be waiting till likely February or April to get one though normal sales chains. 

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

7 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Also lying by itself isn't illegal. 

A company explicitly lying is illegal.

7 minutes ago, Coolmaster said:

A company explicitly lying is illegal.

how come McDonald's is still in business then? 

Spoiler

tenor-10.gif.59833fd2149eee224641f5d371981486.gif

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

10 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Depends on the lie. But a retailer can certainly charge whatever they want for a product and the OP wasn't lied to. The 1080ti is MSRP at 999$..... Rumor 

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/nvidia-rtx-3080-ti-release-date-price-specs-performance-4108885

That isn't a lie.

7 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

how come McDonald's is still in business then? 

What did McDonald's lie about? If they did lie they were probably sued.

Thank you guys very much and to be honest the pricing is really messed up. 

6 minutes ago, Coolmaster said:

That isn't a lie.

What did McDonald's lie about? If they did lie they were probably sued.

Well companies are run by us humans, therefor will always have imperfections and lies.

The government lies. And they write the laws you abide by. 

Neither here nor there. A company lying wouldn't be a first, wouldn't be a last and there's nothing the original poster asked about questioning lies in the first place. He simply wanted to know if it was illegal to charge X amount of dollars for a product. Answer is no. Nothing more to it.

Look at the cost of disinfectant. There's about 165K dollars of it at our company warehouse to be shipped. Price at just under 20 dollars per bottle. Before Pandemic closer to 4 or 5 bucks for the same amount. And that's off my head numbers. Could do more accurate figures... but hey, nothing illegal about it. It's theirs, you want it, you pay for it. Supply and demand. Stop demanding the stuff you want, the price falls.  

29 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Depends on the lie.

Pretty much. Even saying "we are partners of nvidia" I mean they're (alledgely) selling their cards, somehow that's a "partnership" (just not official) so what is nvidia gonna do? 

as long they don't totally fake it with "official partnership" and some logos there really isn't a case imo (although it's an edge case I guess) 

But generally a company can and will lie their asses off - "the best"  "healthy" (if you aren't selling cigarettes 😂 ) etc etc 

11 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

there's nothing original poster asked about questioning lies in the first place

Tbh it did sound like it to me because they said they would claim to be "nvidia partners" and that's exactly what I meant with my comment, simply saying "we're partners with x company" isn't a crime, everybody knows its a lie but what are you gonna do...?  Nvidia could issue a cease and desist probably but that's about it. 🤷🏼

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

11 minutes ago, Dark_Reaper255 said:

yeah, just give it some time, there's no guarantee but it seems things will be a bit better early next year. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Pretty much. Even saying "we are partners of nvidia" I mean they're (alledgely) selling their cards, somehow that's a "partnership" (just not official) so what is nvidia gonna do? 

as long they don't totally fake it with "official partnership" and some logos there really isn't a case imo (although it's an edge case I guess) 

But generally a company can and will lie their asses off - "the best"  "healthy" (if you aren't selling cigarettes 😂 ) etc etc 

Tbh it did sound like it to me because they said they would claim to be "nvidia partners" and that's exactly what I meant with my comment, simply saying "we're partners with x company" isn't a crime, everybody knows its a lie but what are you gonna do...?  Nvidia could issue a cease and desist probably but that's about it. 🤷🏼

I guess I didn't read it that way.... But the way the comment came from the retailer, I didn't catch onto the possible lie, when 1000$ for a TI model, yes not released, but the leaks are right there.... 

Partnership.... well, that could mean just about anything. The retailer could get NDA review cards and know much more than the public. If they are in partnership for direct shipment for sales.... Not seeing any lies, or perhaps it's just misinterpreted. 

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Partnership.... well, that could mean just about anything

yeah exactly. 

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

1000$ for a TI model, yes not released, but the leaks are right there.... 

Yeap, they might actually sell them... who knows. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

6 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

yeah exactly. 

Yeap, they might actually sell them... who knows. 

Not really a jump in prices though. Thinking back, A Titan 6gb (700 series core) (the first one) was MSRP at 999$. 

The sad part is my GTX 980 (not ti) spanked it's pants off for like 550$ !!! lol.

supply and demand. We want FPS, they give us FPS :) But pricing really hasn't changed all that much!

Edited by ShrimpBrime
Additional info

6 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Not really a jump in prices though. Thinking back, A Titan 6gb (700 series core) (the first one) was MSRP at 999$. 

The sad part is my GTX 980 (not ti) spanked it's pants off for like 550$ !!! lol.

supply and demand. We want FPS, they give us FPS :) But pricing really hasn't changed all that much!

I mean the prices nvidia makes aren't really an issue, it's really more the limited supply. I just know I'm happy when I'll get the 3070 FTW3 or 3060ti FTW3 - which I have both sort of "per ordered"... probably the 3060ti would be even better, it's really cheap imo (359 without taxes...) 

Maybe I get both and flip the 3070 🤭

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

I mean the prices nvidia makes aren't really an issue, it's really more the limited supply. I just know I'm happy when I'll get the 3070 FTW3 or 3060ti FTW3 - which I have both sort of "per ordered"... probably the 3060ti would be even better, it's really cheap imo (359 without taxes...) 

Maybe I get both and flip the 3070 🤭

I'm not in a hurry to upgrade Gpu until after DDR5 on desktop. 

But any of these cards are just a generation better than the last. I usually plan on getting what would hold me for 4 years or at least 2 generations of cards. So I have 2000 series, will be skipping 3000 series because of the desktop platform upgrades also... kinda planning ahead, say 2022. I'd like to see ddr5 on desktop for a year to see end user numbers. 

Couple things. First of, lying is actually illegal. Though only if you gain something for doing it. So company lying to make up something which isn't true is misleading marketing etc. which is usually covered under consumer protection laws.

Secondly, "partnership" is bit confusing here. Do you mean the store is retailer or actual partner? With latter meaning that they would follow more closely Nvidias standards, but also getting product for cheaper, quicker, priority and so on. Just like Nvidia is paying their partner game developer to get games optimized on their hardware.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, Dark_Reaper255 said:

You can thank Nvidia for pricing the 20-series in the stratosphere for that one. 

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

11 hours ago, SlashedM said:

If you are referring to price gouging, ...yes. But that mainly applies to essential products like gasoline, groceries and such. And usually during a crisis such as weather related disasters. A manufacturer can pretty much charge what they want as long is there is no evidence of collusion between similar manufacturers (Say Nvidia and AMD) to attempt to falsely drive the market price up. That is known as Price Fixing...  

"Price fixing is an agreement between participants on the same side in a market to buy or sell a product, service, or commodity only at a fixed price, or maintain the market conditions such that the price is maintained at a given level by controlling supply and demand."

PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE AMMUNITION...

EVGA X299 Dark, i7-9800X, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 SLI