DT 770 Pro good for gaming?

Prolicity

I was looking into the DT 990 pros for a while, and I know everywhere says that open back are the best for gaming, but I would really prefer closed back because I don't want my mic picking up sound or people who are in my room to hear what I'm hearing. I am also in no way a pro gamer, so I don't need the absolute best audio. I'm more casual so I really just need something comfortable and good looking that gets the job done better than a regular gaming headset would. So with my thoughts do you think it would be a smart decision to go with the DT 770s?

the dt 770 is an excellent headphone for gaming is one fo the most reccomended here on the forum. 

1 minute ago, Prolicity said:

So with my thoughts do you think it would be a smart decision to go with the DT 770s?

Nowadays the Drop PC38X, and Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R's are the best for gaming.

DT770s aren't bad, but there is definitely better nowadays. They're very old.

[Main Desktop]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti (FTW3 Ultra)  MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon (X470)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 CL16 (2x8GB)

COOLER: Arctic LiquidFreezer II 280 STORAGE: G.SKILL Phoenix FTL 240GB SSD, Crucial MX500 1TB SSD, Toshiba 2TB HDD, Seagate 4TB HDD

PSU: EVGA GQ-1000W 80+ Gold  CASE: The MESHMOD v1.0 (Custom Deepcool Matrexx 70 chassis)  MONITOR: AOC 24G2 144Hz (IPS) 

MOUSE: Logitech G502 HERO (wired)  KEYBOARD: Rosewill K81 RGB (Kailh Brown)  HEADPHONES: HiFiMan Ananda, Drop x Sennheiser HD6XX

IEMS: 7Hz Timeless, Tin Audio T2, Blon BL-03, Samsung/AKG Galaxy Buds Pro  STUDIO MONITORS: Mackie MR524, Mackie MRS10  MIC: NEAT Worker Bee  

INTERFACE: Focusrite Scarlett Solo  AMPLIFIER: SMSL SP200 THX AAA-888, XDUOO XD-05 Basic  DAC: SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII (upgraded AK4493 Version)

WHEEL: Logitech G29 + Logitech G Shifter

[Stream Encoder]

CPU: AMD FX-9590  GPU: Sapphire R9 390X (Tri-X OC)  MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth R2.0 (AM3+)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1866 (2x8GB)

COOLER: EVGA CLC 280 PSU: MSI A750GF 80+ Gold CASE: Phanteks P400A Digital

[Garage]

CAR: 2003 Honda Civic Coupe LX (EM2)  ENGINE: D17A1, planned K20A2 swap  INTAKE: DIY Solutions Short RAM  HEADERS: Motor1 4-2-1 with Cat-Delete

EXHAUST: Yonaka 2.5" Cat-Back with 3.5" tip (YMCB-CIV0105)  COILOVERS: MaXpeedingrods adjustable  RIMS: Core Racing Concept Seven Alloys (15x6.5)

RECEIVER: Kenwood DPX304MBT  SOUND DEADENING: Damplifier Pro Deadening Mats  SOUND DAMPENING: Custom solution, layers of thick insulation

DOOR SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-P710PS 6.5" Components  WINDOW LEDGE SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-6996PS 6x9" 5-Ways

9 minutes ago, rice guru said:

the dt 770 is an excellent headphone for gaming is one fo the most reccomended here on the forum. 

Would you recommend the 250 ohm or 80 ohm version?

5 minutes ago, OfficialTechSpace said:

Nowadays the Drop PC38X, and Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R's are the best for gaming.

DT770s aren't bad, but there is definitely better nowadays. They're very old.

You're probably right, but the PC38X are not my favorite looking and I also prefer no mic, and with the TYGR 300R's unless I was looking in the wrong place they were either very expensive or sold out.

Just now, Prolicity said:

Would you recommend the 250 ohm or 80 ohm version?

Personally I think the 250 ohm is better but if your planning to run it off your motherboard your better off getting the 80 ohm

6 minutes ago, rice guru said:

Personally I think the 250 ohm is better but if your planning to run it off your motherboard your better off getting the 80 ohm

I'd be fine getting an amp, how much of a difference is there between the 2?

2 minutes ago, Prolicity said:

the 250 ohm is a more heautral sounding headhone more neutral bass response but will slap if the song demands them to  pretty neutral midrange bright  treble. the 80 ohm has a slower driver, more boosted bass less controlled treble. the 250 ohm has a touch more detail and overall sounds more refined due to that faster driver the bass sounds tighter. I prefer he 250 ohm myself due to the treble response even though I love bass. 

18 minutes ago, Prolicity said:

Yeah. The difference is there. Maybe not noticable in gaming. But get the 250ohm version if you really are getting an amp/DAC combo. I'll recommend the Sound Blaster G5 or G6 if you have the budget and pair that with the DT 770 pro 250ohm. Also 250ohm has a coiled cable and the 80ohm does not. I prefer the 80ohm because I hate coiled cables. They weigh so much.

EDIT: Adding on what @rice gurusaid about the 250 and 80ohm version. Neither is going to sound well on onboard audio. Almost all beyerdynamic headphones are pretty hard to drive even though you pick the 32ohm version. The headphone sensitivity is quite low, at around 96dB which is really low compared to the HD58X's for example which are 150ohm but are much easier to drive at 104dB. So ohms don't really tell truth all the times. Keep that in mind Prolicity.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

2 hours ago, Tigerleon said:

Yeah. The difference is there. Maybe not noticable in gaming. But get the 250ohm version if you really are getting an amp/DAC combo. I'll recommend the Sound Blaster G5 or G6 if you have the budget and pair that with the DT 770 pro 250ohm. Also 250ohm has a coiled cable and the 80ohm does not. I prefer the 80ohm because I hate coiled cables. They weigh so much.

EDIT: Adding on what @rice gurusaid about the 250 and 80ohm version. Neither is going to sound well on onboard audio. Almost all beyerdynamic headphones are pretty hard to drive even though you pick the 32ohm version. The headphone sensitivity is quite low, at around 96dB which is really low compared to the HD58X's for example which are 150ohm but are much easier to drive at 104dB. So ohms don't really tell truth all the times. Keep that in mind Prolicity.

I would prefer not having to immediately buy an amp. If I did get the 80 ohm, I would get an amp down the line but not immediately because I could save more money for a good one. Really it's up to audio right now for me. It would be mostly for gaming and if the audio really isn't different for gaming, that makes me lean to getting 80 ohm.

5 minutes ago, Prolicity said:

I would prefer not having to immediately buy an amp. If I did get the 80 ohm, I would get an amp down the line but not immediately because I could save more money for a good one. Really it's up to audio right now for me. It would be mostly for gaming and if the audio really isn't different for gaming, that makes me lean to getting 80 ohm.

It is different for gaming but when you listen to music you tend to hear more things. Anyways. You don't need such a high end amp/DAC actually. Even a 50 dollar Sound Blaster G3 is still great and will work great with the 770's.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)