Xfinity mobile is capping my mobile hotspot data speed to 600kbps

David1521

Background: So I switched from T-Mobile paying 85 a month for unlimited to Xfinity mobile for 45 a month since I have internet with them I get 10 dollars of my internet bill if I have cellular service with them too which is why I switched.

However, not only am I not seeing the 5G icon like I was with T-Mobile and getting around 80mbps down where I live and work on 4g LTE instead of the 120 to 160 I was getting with the 5G icon on T-Mobile but also the representative said my hotspot speeds would be at 4G, 4G LTE, or 5G speeds whichever my phone currently has it would pass to my mobile hotspot as well that I could use for my Wifi tablet that I take on road trips.

Then after switching I realized it was actually capped at 600kbps as mentioned by verge article here: https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/2/17526230/comcast-xfinity-mobile-480p-video-slower-mobile-hotspot

So I've been trying to contact xfinity again several different days. However, I've been on hold each time, mornings, afternoons, or evenings, for around half an hour with no answer.

I'm trying to stream amazon music's 1440kbps songs on my ipad mini mounted in my car, connected to my stereo system because it sounds a lot better than spotify and I enjoy discovering new songs in my car since my work commute is 32 minutes so downloading them offline will only work so well for me.

Question: So instead of switching, since it's effectively 35 a month with the discount for unlimited, I'm wondering if it's possible to use some software or something to override the data speed limit for the mobile hotspot on my unlocked, paid in full galaxy note 20 ultra 5g that I ordered from samsung.com?

Update: Found something regarding overriding tmobile's idk if someone could figure out how to make that override work with xfinity mobile: https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/bypass-t-mobiles-tethering-limit-for-free-0161404/

Here's what my settings look like for mobile networks

Screenshot_20201202-130711_Call settings.jpg

Screenshot_20201202-130722_Call settings.jpg

CPU: i7 6800k @ 4.1ghz | Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Edition 10 | RAM: 64 GB 2400Mhz DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum | GPU: GTX 2080 ti Zotac AMP | CASE: Corsair 780T | Storage: 2TB Samsung 970 Evo, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro m.2 Nvme SSD, Samsung 950 Pro 1TB SSD, Seagate 7200rpm 1TB HDD, Seagate 5TB external HDD | PSU: EVGA 850watt G2 | Displays (3): Samsung Odyssey G70 32 inch 1440p 240hz Monitor 1ms rt, LG 32MA68HY-P 32-Inch IPS Monitor, LG 43UD79-B 43" 16:9 4K IPS Monitor | CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman Mini, Razer Huntsman Elite | Mice: Logitech G502 HERO wireless, Roccat Leadr | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 700, Hifiman HE1000 V2, Oppo PM3s | DAC/AMP and USB audio enhancers: Schiit Gungnir Multibit, Schiit Mjolnir 2, Sennheiser HD 700, Oppo HA-2 Headphone amplifier, Schiit USB Decrapifier | Webcam: Logitech BRIO 4k | Speakers: Klipsch The Sixes Powered Monitors and MartinLogan Dynamo 300 Stereo Subwoofer with Creative Sound Blaster E5 High-Resolution USB DAC to run them both at the same time. And an Amazon Echo linked at the same time to these speakers via bluetooth on the sound blaster. | Microphone and DAC/AMP: Blue yeti pro, and Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen) | Router and Modem: Asus rog rapture GT-AC5300, and ARRIS SURFboard SB8200

23 minutes ago, David1521 said:

possible to use some software or something to override the data speed limit

Highly unlikely, as the cap is on their end, not yours

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

PdaNet may do it, though they’ll probably quickly catch on and just terminate your account and you’ll lose your number.

That bitrate would also demolish your 20GB soft cap in no time anyway. That’s like 700MB an hour.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

5 hours ago, David1521 said:

Xfinity mobile for 45 a month since I have internet with them I get 10 dollars of my internet bill if I have cellular service with them too which is why I switched.

You fucked up right there. Firstly Comcast (Xfinity) has data caps on their wired broadband internet. They also have been slapped on the wrist before by the FCC for throttling different services like Netflix and Bit torrent. 

th T-Mobile and getting around 80mbps down where I live and work on 4g LTE instead of the 120 to 160 I was getting with the 5G icon on T-Mobile but also the representative said my hotspot speeds would be at 4G, 4G LTE, or 5G speeds whichever my phone currently has it would pass to my mobile hotspot as well that I could use for my Wifi tablet that I take on road trips.

First of all Comcast does NOT have a wireless network. They lease Verizon's network for their mobile service. While they have expressed that they would like to build a wireless network, that was pretty recently. Between Verizon's network and the free hotspots Comcast offers, thats pretty much the network you have to connect to. So as far as 5G is concerned, Does Verizon have 5G in your area? On top of that Im not sure how Verizon prioritizes data on their network. Id assume MVNO's might not get the highest priority. Keep in mind, Comcast has an agreement with Verizon, they have to follow the rules laid out in the agreement. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 12/2/2020 at 6:28 PM, Donut417 said:

You fucked up right there. Firstly Comcast (Xfinity) has data caps on their wired broadband internet. They also have been slapped on the wrist before by the FCC for throttling different services like Netflix and Bit torrent. 

First of all Comcast does NOT have a wireless network. They lease Verizon's network for their mobile service. While they have expressed that they would like to build a wireless network, that was pretty recently. Between Verizon's network and the free hotspots Comcast offers, thats pretty much the network you have to connect to. So as far as 5G is concerned, Does Verizon have 5G in your area? On top of that Im not sure how Verizon prioritizes data on their network. Id assume MVNO's might not get the highest priority. Keep in mind, Comcast has an agreement with Verizon, they have to follow the rules laid out in the agreement. 

I don't use more than the 1.2 TB data cap for my home internet, but I may switch to Metro by Tmobile or Mint for cellular now. I got the 5G icon with regular Tmobile unlimited service but I don't think it was real 5G speeds. I'd love to be on regular Tmobile but it was 85 a month vs xfinity mobile's 45 a month with 10 dollar discount to make it effectively 35.

CPU: i7 6800k @ 4.1ghz | Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Edition 10 | RAM: 64 GB 2400Mhz DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum | GPU: GTX 2080 ti Zotac AMP | CASE: Corsair 780T | Storage: 2TB Samsung 970 Evo, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro m.2 Nvme SSD, Samsung 950 Pro 1TB SSD, Seagate 7200rpm 1TB HDD, Seagate 5TB external HDD | PSU: EVGA 850watt G2 | Displays (3): Samsung Odyssey G70 32 inch 1440p 240hz Monitor 1ms rt, LG 32MA68HY-P 32-Inch IPS Monitor, LG 43UD79-B 43" 16:9 4K IPS Monitor | CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman Mini, Razer Huntsman Elite | Mice: Logitech G502 HERO wireless, Roccat Leadr | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 700, Hifiman HE1000 V2, Oppo PM3s | DAC/AMP and USB audio enhancers: Schiit Gungnir Multibit, Schiit Mjolnir 2, Sennheiser HD 700, Oppo HA-2 Headphone amplifier, Schiit USB Decrapifier | Webcam: Logitech BRIO 4k | Speakers: Klipsch The Sixes Powered Monitors and MartinLogan Dynamo 300 Stereo Subwoofer with Creative Sound Blaster E5 High-Resolution USB DAC to run them both at the same time. And an Amazon Echo linked at the same time to these speakers via bluetooth on the sound blaster. | Microphone and DAC/AMP: Blue yeti pro, and Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen) | Router and Modem: Asus rog rapture GT-AC5300, and ARRIS SURFboard SB8200

On 12/2/2020 at 3:38 PM, Vitamanic said:

PdaNet may do it, though they’ll probably quickly catch on and just terminate your account and you’ll lose your number.

That bitrate would also demolish your 20GB soft cap in no time anyway. That’s like 700MB an hour.

I tried to use it using foxfi with pdanet+ and it didn't work saying "Fail to activate hotspot: Fail to start, please verify your phone contains Hotspot feature."

I don't use more than the 1.2 TB data cap for my home internet, but I may switch to Metro by Tmobile or Mint for cellular now. I got the 5G icon with regular Tmobile unlimited service but I don't think it was real 5G speeds. I'd love to be on regular Tmobile but it was 85 a month vs xfinity mobile's 45 a month with 10 dollar discount to make it effectively 35.

Point is Comcast doesn’t have its own wireless network. Your at the mercy of Verizon, they might not have 5G in your area yet. Comcast can’t do shot for you in that regard. I’d assume metro has 5G, but from what I seen Metro is kinda watered down T Mobile service. Can’t speak for Mint, not sure who they piggy back off of. 

Edit:

One other thing to consider. Verizon, AT&T and T Mobile all have limits on hotspot data. You basically hit that, and they slow it down to 3G speeds or slower. Not sure what agreement Xfinity has with them, but Im betting there are limits. You might want to look at your plan and read the fine print. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.