Has linus ever reviewed, antivirus software?

Go to solution Solved by Nayr438,

Why? Sites already exist that do this such as https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/

Really though, there is no perfect AV software. Each will use there own detection methods and databases, and results can constantly change.

In my personally opinion ESET NOD32 has always been solid for me and caught things that others haven't, all while putting fairly minimal impact on system resources. Of course I am sure there is something out there that say Avast can detect that NOD32 can't and vice versa.

I know this sounds stupid but it would actually be interesting info to know, which antivirus's actually do they're job. I imagine it wouldn't be hard to do either, load up a SSD with 150 virus's, install a antivirus, run and see how many it actually gets, set things up again, different antivirus this time, do it again, rinse and repeat.

Actually this sounds like something they'd have anthony do, that sorta stuff does seem to be his wheel house.

They have done a video on Antivirus performance:

And they also did a sponsor showcase for BitDefendr:

For full performance/safety tests you should check out AV-Test.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Why? Sites already exist that do this such as https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/

Really though, there is no perfect AV software. Each will use there own detection methods and databases, and results can constantly change.

In my personally opinion ESET NOD32 has always been solid for me and caught things that others haven't, all while putting fairly minimal impact on system resources. Of course I am sure there is something out there that say Avast can detect that NOD32 can't and vice versa.

11 minutes ago, minibois said:

snip

10 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

Honestly did not know that site existed, quite useful. I'm surprised avast gets all the shit people give it, it's ranked top 2 for protection.  Thanks for that.

28 minutes ago, WillOfTheLand said:

Honestly did not know that site existed, quite useful. I'm surprised avast gets all the shit people give it, it's ranked top 2 for protection.  Thanks for that.

I go there twice a year to check out development. The only test I fully trust to be independent. Avast ...have been through a bad spell... I used them like many other but also like many others stopped using them and they got a bad reputation. A bad reputation takes a long time to get rid of.

30 minutes ago, WillOfTheLand said:

Anti-virus software is not needed these days for home users.

You solve that problem by running as a limited user (rather than admin for everything) and run ad-blockers on your browser, and any sort of drive-bys will be halted dead in their tracks.

Any unknown or suspect software you want to install, run in a VM/sandbox first.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

Anti-virus software is not needed these days for home users.

You solve that problem by running as a limited user (rather than admin for everything) and run ad-blockers on your browser, and any sort of drive-bys will be halted dead in their tracks.

Any unknown or suspect software you want to install, run in a VM/sandbox first.

Yeah...! I completely agree.... only that.... I'm too lazy for installing VM and.... last time I ran without anti virus I had to call the abuse team at my ISP because my PC was a botnet zombie and they had blocked off almost my entire internet connection lol.

1 minute ago, aDoomGuy said:

botnet zombie

ooops, how did that get in?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

18 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

ooops, how did that get in?

No idea. Well probably something that I downloaded but I can't really know.. All I know is that my internet got really weird and I called my ISP and they said I had to call their abuse team which costs many pretty pennies but they gave me a code for a free call and they said my poor zombie PC had been sending out spam lol. So.. sorry about that....  :P :P :P 

Anyway, I assured them that I had deleted all my partitions and reinstalled OS and they opened my internet back up when they saw the traffic had gone away. That was a **** in the #*$&....

9 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

Well probably something that I downloaded

Weakest link in the chain...the user.

I used to work at a local ISP back when systems were mainly win2k/XP, where updates were often not done by the user (if ever) and running as anything other than Admin was unknown.

Yeah, we dealt with a lot of botnets...

30 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Weakest link in the chain...the user.

Yeah... I changed my habits and now has more CPU threads so having a/v running is fine.

1 hour ago, WillOfTheLand said:

I don't know exactly how AV-Test tests "Usability", but it could be people are complaining about using Avast, the user interface and such.

Plus, 17/21 of the antiviruses got a perfect score in that test, so it isn't as much of "Avast for third", but more "17 of them scores perfect in a test"

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

11 hours ago, minibois said:

I don't know exactly how AV-Test tests "Usability", but it could be people are complaining about using Avast, the user interface and such.

Plus, 17/21 of the antiviruses got a perfect score in that test, so it isn't as much of "Avast for third", but more "17 of them scores perfect in a test"

Its based on False Positives, the higher the number of False Positives the lower the score.

For more information you can click on one of the tests, such as https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/windows-10/october-2020/cylance-smart-antivirus-2.0-204009/

You can also find more information here https://www.av-test.org/en/news/test-22-internet-security-suites-under-windows-10/

20 hours ago, WillOfTheLand said:

Avast's reputation is not for their performance of actual protection. Its for the UI being bad, constant popup advertisements, the amount of resources it takes etc. I personally moved to BitDefender free from Avast after getting tired of it all. Now using paid BitDefender.

-> Moved to Programs, Apps and Websites

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv