General Guide To Custom ROMs and Rooting (w/ FAQ)

_ASSASSIN_

Need help with rooting s3 neo 4.4.2 

Okay so i tried odin and it doesnt work i tried towelroot and it says not suported device i tried kingo android root and it doesnt work ethier idk what to do can somebody help me please  :) P.S i will tell you all info you need  :) just ask

• 4 months later...

my htc wildfire s now has a version of nadroid thats made to look like ios 7

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

do i drop the .zip that i downloaded from the cynogen mod site onto my sd card or do i drop the contens onto my sd card?

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

do i drop the .zip that i downloaded from the cynogen mod site onto my sd card or do i drop the contens onto my sd card?

what are you even trying to do?

• 1 month later...

I FINALLY added a kernel tweaking section. Hopefully with this I will be able to be very indepth, and provide you guys with all the advice I can since I have learned so much about kernel tweaking after messing with this stuff for about a year now :)

So far I have started simple with the basic questions that people typically ask.

• 10 months later...

so i have a 2012 nexus 7... i wanted to downgrade to 4.4 kitkat and i downloaded the wrong version and i bricked my tablet. I can't do anything now. Anyone knows what can i do? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/6/2016 at 6:21 AM, kuku24 said:

so i have a 2012 nexus 7... i wanted to downgrade to 4.4 kitkat and i downloaded the wrong version and i bricked my tablet. I can't do anything now. Anyone knows what can i do? 

Wugfresh Nexus Root Toolkit. Just Google that and download the toolkit. It has more than once helped me get my soft bricked / hard bricked Nexus 5 back to life. And yes using that you can downgrade to Kitkat as well. 

• 8 months later...

Thank you very much for taking the time to create this for those of us who have no idea what we're doing.

I'm considering rooting my phone because it only has 8GB of internal memory and won't allow me to mount the SD card as seamless memory. Since the phone did a mandatory OS update, it's become almost unusable since it has no space. Literally the OS apps are taking up all the space. Fantastic.

In the tutorial, you instruct the reader to install Android SDK. Will that allow me to change my phone to act in the way I need it to? Making the SD card seamless is all I need just so I can use the phone properly.

• 4 months later...

Magisk is a newer systemless method of rooting that also bypasses android's safetynet check.

Would it be possible to add it to the thread?

Motherboard : MSI X570 Edge WiFi 
CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 3600
GPU : AMD Sapphire RX580 Nitro+ 8GB 
SSD : Corsair Force MP510 240GB
SSD : WD Blue 1TB

HDD : 2TB Seagate 7200RPM
RAM : 32GB
Case : Fractal Design Meshify-C

Steam : https://steamcommunity.com/id/milkerfish
Twitter : https://twitter.com/sarahgguwu

• 2 months later...

Has anyone here got the new iPhone X? It's a pain with the charging leads!

• 1 year later...

I Have " Sony Xperia Z3+ Dual [E6533] ". Due To The Lack Of Developer Support We Don't Have Any Custom Rom Other Than Lineage OS 14.1 . I've Read a Forum That Porting Rom To Same Chipset Phones Is Easy and Yet There Is No Proper Guide To Update Device Tree And Build ROM From The Updated Device Tree. My Phone Has The Same Chipset As Nexus 6P And Oneplus 2. So The Thing Is Can Anyone Able To Build " Lineage OS 16 " For My Phone So That We Can See The Light Of The Day [Android_Pie]...

Device Tree : https://github.com/LineageOS/android_device_sony_ivy/tree/lineage-15.0
Kernel : https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_sony_msm8994

• 8 months later...

Hey guyz.

Sorry for my bad english..

I am stuck in this weird situation right now. My father has an old motorola moto g 3rd gen dual sim xt1550.. the reason my father is using this mobile because he doesn't have to do that much thing on smartphone and he needs 2 sim to work at a time. I love custom roms from ages.. but now i tried every (famous) rom and it works fine.. the only issue i am having that i cannot run 2 sims on new roms.. don't know why.. i think there is exact same device which also named as moto g 3rd gen but it doesn't have dual sim.. i really really realllyy appreciate if someone can provide me a custom rom for this device which doesn't effect my dual sim option.. and if possible then provide me a rom which runs atleast on android 7 or higher

• 8 months later...

he i want to download a different rom for my Samsung j5 2016 but i find it very hard to find roms that support the j5 has any one got a suggestion.

• 11 months later...

Can anyone recommend the Android 11 Rom for the i9505?

• 6 months later...
On 5/27/2021 at 2:31 PM, Suki-chan said:

Can anyone recommend the Android 11 Rom for the i9505?

That's low end af. You are better of installing andorid 8

• 5 months later...

For anyone with the s10 line, t.me/exynos9820oss_news has a lot of roms and it pushes updates as notifications.

I’d bet you’re in the phones and tablets category (my domain haha)
The king of quack, That android guy…

samsung s10e | android enthusiast | Tech blogger