General Guide To Custom ROMs and Rooting (w/ FAQ)

_ASSASSIN_

Yay for resurrecting a *kinda* dead thread! 

Does anyone want to point me in the right direction on how to root my Motorola Droid Razr (xt910)? I'm a complete newb when it comes to rooting (even after reading your post. Great job, by the way - Really well written/done). It's running 4.1.2. I've seen a lot of videos on how to root other Droid phones (Razr Maxx, Razr HD, etc.), but very few on my specific phone. And all the ones I've seen of my phone were either ICS or Gingerbread. Also, to make it even harder, the only computer I have access to right now is my MacBook.. Again, I don't need step-by-step instructions (although I wouldn't complain if someone did), just a general push to start my journey into rooting  :P

That's because this guide is designed to inform, not to instruct. Regardless, most of the methods I see are for windows, try this maybe?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2298408

i don't know if i am retarded but I can't understand anything from this guide and it seems that this is as easy as it goes. i just want to boost up my 2 year old desire x a little bit :(

I've never put a ROM on my phone, mostly becasue I'm scared to brick my phone, is it actually worth it?

Been using a GS4 and although the OS gets a ton of hate, I can customize it enough through the free apps on playstore that I don't have any problems with it.

I've never put a ROM on my phone, mostly becasue I'm scared to brick my phone, is it actually worth it?

Been using a GS4 and although the OS gets a ton of hate, I can customize it enough through the free apps on playstore that I don't have any problems with it.

Dunno...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm an iOS user for the past 3 years now, and i just came across my old Galaxy S GT-I9000 a couple of days back. I started using it as my secondary device but found out that the signal reception is horrible. I don't know much about rooting and stuff(btw nice guide) but since I bought the device in Australia(unlocked) and i'm now using it in India, can changing the baseband/modem help me?

I'm an iOS user for the past 3 years now, and i just came across my old Galaxy S GT-I9000 a couple of days back. I started using it as my secondary device but found out that the signal reception is horrible. I don't know much about rooting and stuff(btw nice guide) but since I bought the device in Australia(unlocked) and i'm now using it in India, can changing the baseband/modem help me?

Likely not, the I9000 wasn't the best phone for signal reception.

"Rawr XD"

I'm a Sony guru, if you need Sony specific stuff, ill add it up. :)

Primary: Lenovo T61 / Intel Core2Duo T7200 @ 2.2GHz / 3GB DDR2 / NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M / Fedora 22 <<<< THE WHITE KNIGHT

Secondary: Compaq Presario CQ56 / AMD V130 @ 2.3GHz / 2GB DDR3 / AMD Radeon HD 4250 / Windows 8.1 <<< THE FORGOTTEN HERO

Has anybody explained S-ON/S-OFF yet?

I'll update it as soon as possible, thanks for reminding me. I'll notify you when I have it updated

I'll update it as soon as possible, thanks for reminding me. I'll notify you when I have it updated

No, I don't need help, I have help. If you need any help explaining these, just contact me.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Hey it's my understanding that you can obtain root by using adb and simply booting into a custom recovery instead of flashing and installing a root app that way (such as SuperSU). Is this true? Also no need to unlock bootloader even.

Hi guys. I haven't seen an answer to Nomelas great questions. Could someone please help?

I have an android tablet that I am not able to root after trying so many rooting methods. The problem is that my tablet is not a very common brand (Insignia 785 pro -has an Intel Processor) so there are no specific rooting instructions for my tablet.

Are there any solutions like Nomelas suggests that can work. Pleeeeeeease help...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

lol me with a new phone:"No flashing no rooting , I dont want to risk it and my warranty will be void."

783px-A_Few_Moments_Later.jpg

"Fuck this where is cyanogenmod!?"

CPU: AMD FX 8350 | GPU: AMD R9 270 Windforce | MOBO: ASRock 990FX Extreme 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 8GB | Case: X Predator X1 |CPU COOLER: Hyper T4

NAZIS WILL RISE.

• 1 month later...

lol me with a new phone:"No flashing no rooting , I dont want to risk it and my warranty will be void."

When there's no ROMs available for your phone...uggghh

"Rawr XD"

When there's no ROMs available for your phone...uggghh

Yeah theres cm12,cm11 and stock optimized rom for my s3 neo while theres a bunch of them for the original s3...

CPU: AMD FX 8350 | GPU: AMD R9 270 Windforce | MOBO: ASRock 990FX Extreme 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 8GB | Case: X Predator X1 |CPU COOLER: Hyper T4

NAZIS WILL RISE.

• 2 weeks later...

Another thing you might wanna add to this guide is F2FS (Flash Friendly File System) which a lot of Nexus roms use to increase performance.

Another thing you might wanna add to this guide is F2FS (Flash Friendly File System) which a lot of Nexus roms use to increase performance.

1. Probably Galaxy Nexus ROMs because most SD Cards don't actually gain enough of an improvement to consider using it.

2. It's basically useless as I already stated in the second. That and it's really simple. I guess I can add it if you want, but it can really screw up your phone.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright I FINALLY have updated something (w04h) in Additional Q&A, since I often get asked what is sabermod or what is linaro so often.

Also curious would you guys like to see a separate guide on kernel stuff such as what certain governors do and what is CPU hotplugging and all their different custom solutions, etc.?

• 3 weeks later...

Dear competent people who happen to know about custom ROMs, I have an inquiry about custom ROMs that goes as such: If I were to install a ROM, would it be feasible to reinstall the ROM that the OEM installed completely as if I never uninstalled it. This is not for warranty, as I already voided that by fixing my previously water damaged Xperia Z2 manually. I want to install and try out a CM12 nightly but I also want to potentially go back to the Sony ROM in future when they finally go to lollipop or if I find CM12 unsuitable for daily usage. I did not do anything yet, but if going back is possible, I will probably install the ROM after spending a good hour or two looking up and reading/watching tutorials on how to do it.

Intel Core i7 4770k - 2x Geforce GTX 780 - MSI Z87 MPower Max - Corsair H60 - 8GB Avexir Core Series MPower Yellow + 4gb no-brand DDR3 - Corsair Obsidian 750d - AData XPG SX900 256gb SSD - Seagate Barracuda 3TB (7200 RPM) - Hitachi 250GB 2.5in HDD (3200 RPM) - WD HDD 160GB extracted from iMac via black magic (no specified RPM) - ASUS VG248QE 144HZ 3d Vision Monitor - Logitech G602 - Ducky Shine 3 TKL - AKG 172 HD Headphones - Xperia z2 - Sony Noise canceling earphones -  Nikon D5200 With Bundled Lenses - Windows 7 Home Premium - Blue Snowball iCE - Acer Aspire X with a broken case, AMD A6, and Raijintek Aidos CPU heatsink

Dear competent people who happen to know about custom ROMs, I have an inquiry about custom ROMs that goes as such: If I were to install a ROM, would it be feasible to reinstall the ROM that the OEM installed completely as if I never uninstalled it. This is not for warranty, as I already voided that by fixing my previously water damaged Xperia Z2 manually. I want to install and try out a CM12 nightly but I also want to potentially go back to the Sony ROM in future when they finally go to lollipop or if I find CM12 unsuitable for daily usage. I did not do anything yet, but if going back is possible, I will probably install the ROM after spending a good hour or two looking up and reading/watching tutorials on how to do it.

Typically what companies do if they are cool is put up the entire OS on flashable .img that can be done in the bootloader. If not, there may be a stock ROM that's flashable on XDA.

Typically what companies do if they are cool is put up the entire OS on flashable .img that can be done in the bootloader. If not, there may be a stock ROM that's flashable on XDA.

Yes, I have found it on Sony's site. Do you happen to know about the process of backing up Sony's DRM keys? I did not yet unlock my bootloader because that exterminates the DRM keys.

Intel Core i7 4770k - 2x Geforce GTX 780 - MSI Z87 MPower Max - Corsair H60 - 8GB Avexir Core Series MPower Yellow + 4gb no-brand DDR3 - Corsair Obsidian 750d - AData XPG SX900 256gb SSD - Seagate Barracuda 3TB (7200 RPM) - Hitachi 250GB 2.5in HDD (3200 RPM) - WD HDD 160GB extracted from iMac via black magic (no specified RPM) - ASUS VG248QE 144HZ 3d Vision Monitor - Logitech G602 - Ducky Shine 3 TKL - AKG 172 HD Headphones - Xperia z2 - Sony Noise canceling earphones -  Nikon D5200 With Bundled Lenses - Windows 7 Home Premium - Blue Snowball iCE - Acer Aspire X with a broken case, AMD A6, and Raijintek Aidos CPU heatsink

Yes, I have found it on Sony's site. Do you happen to know about the process of backing up Sony's DRM keys? I did not yet unlock my bootloader because that exterminates the DRM keys.

No clue. Sorry I don't have any experience with any sony phones.

No clue. Sorry I don't have any experience with any sony phones.

Do you know if tools like nandroid can backup the TA partition? From what I've read, that is where the keys are stored.