PC keeps crashing

Hi! Hope you all are doing good in these crazy times!
  So, my computer has been doing this thing for the last 2 weeks...it crashes without any blue screen or error message and it restarts by itself.
  It seems like it doesn't really matter what I'm doing, it crashes whenever it feels like doing so, although most times it crashes, I'm doing something a little bit heavier. Sometimes when it does crash, as soon as it starts powering up again, it goes down before even reaching the homescreen, and then again. If I don't power off the PC, the loop doesn't end.
  I've checked the temps of board, cpu and gpu - all normal, cpu 50's max, gpu 60's max.
  Ran Memtest86 and everything was good with the RAM. Cleaned the dust off of my cpu AIO, changed thermal compound on cpu chipset, cleaned my GPU heatsink, changed thermal compound on gpu chipset. Also measured the voltage on my PSU, which was also correct. After doing all this,
  After doing a clean windows installation and the crashes stopped being so frequent, but they still happen now and then (just like it did when writting this message -_-). 
  I just don't know what else to do, what tests to run, or whatever, any tips you may have would be really helpfull!

Thanks in advance!

3 minutes ago, xMIDIMA said:

Hi! Hope you all are doing good in these crazy times!
  So, my computer has been doing this thing for the last 2 weeks...it crashes without any blue screen or error message and it restarts by itself.
  It seems like it doesn't really matter what I'm doing, it crashes whenever it feels like doing so, although most times it crashes, I'm doing something a little bit heavier. Sometimes when it does crash, as soon as it starts powering up again, it goes down before even reaching the homescreen, and then again. If I don't power off the PC, the loop doesn't end.
  I've checked the temps of board, cpu and gpu - all normal, cpu 50's max, gpu 60's max.
  Ran Memtest86 and everything was good with the RAM. Cleaned the dust off of my cpu AIO, changed thermal compound on cpu chipset, cleaned my GPU heatsink, changed thermal compound on gpu chipset. Also measured the voltage on my PSU, which was also correct. After doing all this,
  After doing a clean windows installation and the crashes stopped being so frequent, but they still happen now and then (just like it did when writting this message -_-). 
  I just don't know what else to do, what tests to run, or whatever, any tips you may have would be really helpfull!

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like a failing power supply, can't provide enough juice, so it drops out.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

3 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Sounds like a failing power supply, can't provide enough juice, so it drops out.

That was my first option, but I measured the output voltage and it was correct, even when it crashed, there was no drop on the voltage (well, it obviously went down and then back up, what I mean is that it didn't start dropping before the pc crashed) If I make sense.

5 minutes ago, xMIDIMA said:

That was my first option, but I measured the output voltage and it was correct, even when it crashed, there was no drop on the voltage (well, it obviously went down and then back up, what I mean is that it didn't start dropping before the pc crashed) If I make sense.

How did you measure it?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

5 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

How did you measure it?

I measured it with a digital multimeter. It's supposed to output 12V, right?

1 minute ago, xMIDIMA said:

I measured it with a digital multimeter. It's supposed to output 12V, right?

Yes but that doesn't give you the complete picture, it's the wattage the entire system needs, and if it's drawing (for example) 500 watts, and the power supply is failing, and can provide only 450 watts, poof, spontaneous power loss/reboot.

You'd need a device called a Kill-A-Watt to determine real power draw

3 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Yes but that doesn't give you the complete picture, it's the wattage the entire system needs, and if it's drawing (for example) 500 watts, and the power supply is failing, and can provide only 450 watts, poof, spontaneous power loss/reboot.

You'd need a device called a Kill-A-Watt to determine real power draw

Isn't there any other way? What about that whole psu voltage chart, could I test all those option to see if any voltage is lacking? 

4 minutes ago, xMIDIMA said:

Isn't there any other way? What about that whole psu voltage chart, could I test all those option to see if any voltage is lacking? 

The only sure-fire way I've ever seen for determining a failing power supply is:

(1) Replace it, see what happens

(2) Kill-A-Watt, run system under load, and see what it says.

Everything else is open for discussion.

If can go with the chart, but I can't guarantee what the results will tell you.

I assume you are not using XMP or OverClocking anythiing? Those can cause issues as well

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

The only sure-fire way I've ever seen for determining a failing power supply is:

(1) Replace it, see what happens

(2) Kill-A-Watt, run system under load, and see what it says.

Everything else is open for discussion.

If can go with the chart, but I can't guarantee what the results will tell you.

I assume you are not using XMP or OverClocking anythiing? Those can cause issues as well

I'm using XMP on my RAM but it's the auto one. CPU and GPU are stock since the last time I tried to OC mu cpu I couldn't find a sweet spot for the voltage or Mhz so it kept crashing (This was a long time ago)
  About the wattage output, the PSU must be really going bad, because my system is not that demanding for a 750W PSU (Corsair RM750i). I got a 6700k, a GTX 970 and 16GB 2400mhz RAM.

6 minutes ago, xMIDIMA said:

I'm using XMP on my RAM but it's the auto one. CPU and GPU are stock since the last time I tried to OC mu cpu I couldn't find a sweet spot for the voltage or Mhz so it kept crashing (This was a long time ago)
  About the wattage output, the PSU must be really going bad, because my system is not that demanding for a 750W PSU (Corsair RM750i). I got a 6700k, a GTX 970 and 16GB 2400mhz RAM.

Turn off XMP, see what happens...I see more issues with XMP here on LTT, than I see it solving things.

2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Turn off XMP, see what happens...I see more issues with XMP here on LTT, than I see it solving things.

Alright, I will do that.
If that doesn't solve it, I'll buy a new PSU and see what happens.
Thank you for the advice! :)

6 minutes ago, xMIDIMA said:

Alright, I will do that.
If that doesn't solve it, I'll buy a new PSU and see what happens.
Thank you for the advice! :)

Hold off on the PSU, let's start with the XMP and go from there. a new PSU ain't cheap...

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

Hold off on the PSU, let's start with the XMP and go from there. a new PSU ain't cheap...

Will do :)

9 minutes ago, xMIDIMA said:

Will do :)

Just making sure here, cuz I'm a bit a newbie. It was set to XMP and I set it to auto. Is this right or should I have set it to manual?

41 minutes ago, xMIDIMA said:

Just making sure here, cuz I'm a bit a newbie. It was set to XMP and I set it to auto. Is this right or should I have set it to manual?

I'd turn it off, if possible, if that's not an option, then do with auto I suppose

1 hour ago, xMIDIMA said:

better option would be get a new, appropriate psu (there's a sticky in the psu section of this forum) and actually test it, because what you said sounds like power supply issue. 

doesn't mean it it is, but it's likely... 

Edit: then do the XMP thing first as @Radium_Angelsuggests, though it really shouldn't make issues on auto (imo) worth a try though. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

17 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

better option would be get a new, appropriate psu (there's a sticky in the psu section of this forum) and actually test it, because what you said sounds like power supply issue. 

Edit: then do the XMP thing first as @Radium_Angelsuggests, though it really shouldn't make issues on auto (imo) worth a try though. 

Alright. I'm running auto atm, it's a waiting game now, since lately sometimes it only goes down once every couple days or once/twice a day depending on what i'm doing.
Thank you!

19 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

I'd turn it off, if possible, if that's not an option, then do with auto I suppose

19 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Well, I can confirm that turning off XMP did absolutly nothing for my problem. Guess I have to switch my PSU and hope that's the cause of the problem

1 hour ago, xMIDIMA said:

Guess I have to switch my PSU and hope that's the cause of the problem

And if that isn't it, then it's a bad mobo...which would really suck.

There is something else you can do, yank the GFX card and use the one built into the CPU (assuming your mobo has video out) and see if anything changes.

12 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

And if that isn't it, then it's a bad mobo...which would really suck.

There is something else you can do, yank the GFX card and use the one built into the CPU (assuming your mobo has video out) and see if anything changes.

I will try that (unplugging the gpu). Is there a test or any way I can test if the problem is the mobo?

3 hours ago, xMIDIMA said:

I will try that (unplugging the gpu). Is there a test or any way I can test if the problem is the mobo?

Only by process of elimination really. There are CPU stress tests, and GFX stress tests, and RAM stress tests, and if those pass, then it's the mobo (or the PSU)

16 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Only by process of elimination really. There are CPU stress tests, and GFX stress tests, and RAM stress tests, and if those pass, then it's the mobo (or the PSU)

On 11/26/2020 at 8:52 PM, Mark Kaine said:

Alright, so, I got frustrated with this situation, plugged in my playstation to relax a bit. Lo and behold, it keeps going into rest mode... Oh my god, the problem was the place where you plug all the power cables (not sure about the name in english). MAN I FEEL DUMB! 
  Still, Thank you so much for your help guys!

3 minutes ago, xMIDIMA said:

Alright, so, I got frustrated with this situation, plugged in my playstation to relax a bit. Lo and behold, it keeps going into rest mode... Oh my god, the problem was the place where you plug all the power cables (not sure about the name in english). MAN I FEEL DUMB! 
  Still, Thank you so much for your help

Ah, interesting! yeah that's also always a possibility we didn't think about, you kinda expect electricity to 'just work' but it happens... 

glad you found the issue! 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 minutes ago, xMIDIMA said:

Still, Thank you so much for your help guys!

All good, glad you got it figured out :)