Apple M1 = the rest of us are living in the stone age!?

It really speak volumes about how great the M1 is that people are comparing it to an 8700k. 

The M1 is Apple's extreme bottom of the line ultrabook processor. The Intel processor in the MacBook air that the M1 replaced was 1.1ghz or 1.2ghz (depending on how you optioned it)-- and when they moved the MBA to the M1, the reduced the cooling system (removed the fan). That's the spot in Intel's lineup that they're competing with so far.  

... And many benchmarks for the M1 are running in translation layer, which is a temporary situation.

Fun context: the low power cores on the M1, that use so little power that they don't turn off when you put the computer to sleep (so that it can keep your email, messages, etc up to date and immediately available when you "wake" the computer), are faster than the processors that were formally used as primary/only in the 2020 Intel MacBook Air. 

I feel like you really have to be missing the forest for the trees to not see that versions that aren't targeting temps/battery life, in more expensive products (so can support more expensive processors) are going to be absurd. More cores, more power, more heat, more clocks-- shit's gonna get real. 

It'll be fun to revisit this thread in a few months, when their mid range processors (iMac, 4 port MBP) start shipping... and then fun again when the high end starts shipping (Mac Pro, iMac Pro. Especially as by that point, pretty much everything should be running natively. 

3 hours ago, Obioban said:

It really speak volumes about how great the M1 is that people are comparing it to an 8700k. 

To whom? 

An apple fiancé? 😛 

I happened to have an 8700k at hand at the time I joined the discussion and showed this 4 year old 6 core refresh of intel is squashing the brand new 8 core ARM from Apple in an apples to apples comparison -no pun intended-. (and that because the TS on his OP asked if people that are not using apple's arm chip are living in the stoneage)  

And that all the rest is just sugar quoting marketing and lip services by apple fiancés... 

"Apple silicon" is nothing special it's just an other ARM chip. 

What made it special is Apple's efforts to design a compatible OS and a good emulator so that the arm chip can run real programs without being too bad at it... although the list with incompatibilities is still long  but what is already compatible is working fine thanks to an impressive software engineering feat by Apple. 

3 hours ago, papajo said:

To whom? 

An apple fiancé? 😛 

I happened to have an 8700k at hand at the time I joined the discussion and showed this 4 year old 6 core refresh of intel is squashing the brand new 8 core ARM from Apple in an apples to apples comparison -no pun intended-. (and that because the TS on his OP asked if people that are not using apple's arm chip are living in the stoneage)  

And that all the rest is just sugar quoting marketing and lip services by apple fiancés... 

"Apple silicon" is nothing special it's just an other ARM chip. 

What made it special is Apple's efforts to design a compatible OS and a good emulator so that the arm chip can run real programs without being too bad at it... although the list with incompatibilities is still long  but what is already compatible is working fine thanks to an impressive software engineering feat by Apple. 

Nice selective quoting 😛

I guess we'll see how it pans out as time passes. So far they've built a replacement for 1.1-1.2 ghz intel processor. Later this year we'll be getting their desktop i5/i7 fighter. 

The translation layer has nothing to do with running real programs-- just programs that have no yet been compiled for ARM. That list is getting pretty short pretty fast. Also, Apple's translation layer works exceptionally well because of hardware features they built into the chip specifically for that purpose-- one of many ways it's not "just an other ARM chip". 

Calling the M1 an 8 core is kind of not understanding how it works. It's a 4 core, from a performance standpoint. The low power cores are there for background tasks and sleeping tasks. The 4 performance cores only fire up when high performance is required, at which point the percent of computation provided by the efficiency cores is pretty inconsequential. 

But, as above, more performance cores to come in the higher spec variants. 

BTW, the derogatory term you're looking for it "sheeple". Nobody says "apple fiancé".

16 hours ago, Obioban said:

BTW, the derogatory term you're looking for it "sheeple". Nobody says "apple fiancé".

I used a word that is compatible with ltt community guidelines now if you think it is derogatory in nature or try to find synonyms is something i can not control and is a subjective opinion I guess anybody can make out of it what he/she thinks which is out of my hands. 

The translation layer has nothing to do with running real programs-- just programs that have no yet been compiled for ARM

Which definition applies to the vast majority of real programs (and not "apps" ). 

That list is getting pretty short pretty fast.

well out of all mixed apps and programs I see in apples own list https://isapplesiliconready.com/ (which doesnt include all the software out there not even close, it just is a list of some programs and apps) 

49 of them are not working at all, 4635 are not tested yet 212 are working only via rosetta and 365 have native arm support. 

Apple's translation layer works exceptionally well because of hardware features they built into the chip specifically for that purpose

That's not the case and surely some marketing sugarquoting what rosetta 2 does is emulation essentially  it translates x86 instructions to ARM instructions. 

Calling the M1 an 8 core is kind of not understanding how it works

It has 4 cores with higher boost frequency and 4 cores with lower boost frequency that's how all arm CPUs are marketed = total core count and it is not the first time this is implemented. 

Later this year we'll be getting their desktop i5/i7 fighter. 

An ARM chip can never compete against a x86 chip when power consumption and/or thermal management is not an issue. 

It wont be a i5/i7 fighter it will be most likely an imac with an ARM chip that may fair equally good or slightly better compared to preexisting imacs with an i5/i7 due to software optimization related solely to apple's ecosystem of software. 

6 minutes ago, Spindel said:

Stop arguing stone age boys and step in to the 21st century!

If I had a m1 macbook I would have made a meme out of this using photoshop

Eidt: I forgot that photoshop isnt natively supported by the m1 😛

7 minutes ago, papajo said:

You probably wouldn’t even know photoshop wasn’t native anyway.

And if you want native you have for example Affinity Photo or Pixlemator Pro that are great applications.

2 minutes ago, Spindel said:

You probably wouldn’t even know photoshop wasn’t native anyway.

How wouldn't I know that? I just know that without having one if I had one that would make me even more alert for that namely while trying to download it I would have realised it lol... 

2 minutes ago, Spindel said:

And if you want native you have for example Affinity Photo or Pixlemator Pro that are great applications

So I need to buy an ARM chip and then start to compromise nice way of thinking... why not buying an ARM laptop with linux then and do the same thing(try to find alternatives to run the software I would like to run). It would be much cheaper too! 

2 minutes ago, papajo said:

How wouldn't I know that? I just know that without having one if I had one that would make me even more alert for that namely while trying to download it I would have realised it lol... 

I forgot, you are a stone age boy that haven't even tried an M1...

27 minutes ago, Spindel said:

I forgot, you are a stone age boy that haven't even tried an M1...

well if by stone age you mean doing things faster and not compromise while not paying premium pricetags to a single company to have their "status adding" logo behind my monitor then yea I live in the stone age and it rocks! 

Edit: as for the "you wouldn't probably notice it" part which I just humored with here is a more comprehensive showcase 

https://www.iphonehacks.com/2020/12/how-fix-m1-macbook-issues.html

some memory issues discussed above as well dpreview.com/forums/thread/4531857

58 minutes ago, papajo said:

I used a word that is compatible with ltt community guidelines now if you think it is derogatory in nature or try to find synonyms is something i can not control and is a subjective opinion I guess anybody can make out of it what he/she thinks which is out of my hands. 

Which definition applies to the vast majority of real programs (and not "apps" ). 

well out of all mixed apps and programs I see in apples own list https://isapplesiliconready.com/ (which doesnt include all the software out there not even close, it just is a list of some programs and apps) 

49 of them are not working at all, 4635 are not tested yet 212 are working only via rosetta and 365 have native arm support. 

That's not the case and surely some marketing sugarquoting what rosetta 2 does is emulation essentially  it translates x86 instructions to ARM instructions. 

It has 4 cores with higher boost frequency and 4 cores with lower boost frequency that's how all arm CPUs are marketed = total core count and it is not the first time this is implemented. 

An ARM chip can never compete against a x86 chip when power consumption and/or thermal management is not an issue. 

It wont be a i5/i7 fighter it will be most likely an imac with an ARM chip that may fair equally good or slightly better compared to preexisting imacs with an i5/i7 due to software optimization related solely to apple's ecosystem of software. 

isapplesiliconready is not "Apple's own list"-- it's a list by people in the community. And, yes, as you point out, from that list we can see that 2 months after the release of Apple Silicon, of the tested software that site is listing, 92% of it runs and 58% of it runs natively. Pretty freaking amazing for an entire chip architecture transition, 2 months in! Microsoft is nowhere near that, multiple years in. 

Big little CPU design is not new, but it is new to computers-- and it's a not insignificant part of why the battery life on the M1 laptops is so amazing and things are so instantaneous (because they continue to due tasks while the computer is sleeping, so when you open it there's no waiting and everything is already up to date). 

Someone should tell the server market about how ARM processors can't keep up. 

The M1 is an 8 core CPU, in that it has 8 cores. But, you'd certainly be misled if, say, you thought a 16 core version (12 big, 4 little) would be 2x as fast (because it has twice the cores)-- it would be closer to 3x as fast (in multi thread work loads). 

It feel like you're a bit determined to not to understand the implications of what they have done-- seems like we'll have to wait till ~June, for the i5/i7/i9 fighters to come out. 

Here's a question for you to ponder: 

If Apple's chips are just generic ARM chips, why are iPhone processors always 1-2 generations faster than the fastest flagship chips used in Android phones (not to mention the slower chips used in the majority of Android phones actually sold)?

40 minutes ago, papajo said:

Photoshop for M1 has had a public beta since November. The release version is due out in Q1 2021, which means before the end of next month. But, photoshop must not be a "real program", because "real programs" can't run on ARM. 

What do you consider "real" software? Adobe suite? CAD programs? Video editing programs? Office suite? Software development? 

51 minutes ago, papajo said:

well if by stone age you mean doing things faster and not compromise while not paying premium pricetags to a single company to have their "status adding" logo behind my monitor then yea I live in the stone age and it rocks! 

Edit: as for the "you wouldn't probably notice it" part which I just humored with here is a more comprehensive showcase 

https://www.iphonehacks.com/2020/12/how-fix-m1-macbook-issues.html

some memory issues discussed above as well dpreview.com/forums/thread/4531857

Wow, you found a launch day bug for public beta software that has since been fixed. Fine work!

Note to mention, you realize you can search for anything and find it crashing... right? 

E.g. 

Photoshop crashing on windows 10:

https://www.google.com/search?safe=off&client=safari&sxsrf=ALeKk01nN1B7WzgExlZnuVSMrc2CjiKx2g%3A1612194499316&ei=wyIYYIbUEuqqwbkPoomEUA&q=photoshop+crashing+on+windows+10&oq=photoshop+crashing+on+windows+10&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAzIGCAAQFhAeMgYIABAWEB46BAgAEEc6CAghEBYQHRAeULPSAlif2wJgrt4CaABwA3gAgAFXiAHxBZIBAjEwmAEAoAEBqgEHZ3dzLXdpesgBCMABAQ&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwjGwcLDhMnuAhVqVTABHaIEAQoQ4dUDCAw&uact=5

Photoshop crashing on windows 7: 

https://www.google.com/search?safe=off&client=safari&sxsrf=ALeKk02VPFzqNPNNBFazOTRM45WoM3Rygw%3A1612194545391&ei=8SIYYL-7F6KJwbkPkciA0AI&q=photoshop+crashing+on+windows+7&oq=photoshop+crashing+on+windows+7&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAzIICCEQFhAdEB4yCAghEBYQHRAeMggIIRAWEB0QHjIICCEQFhAdEB4yCAghEBYQHRAeMggIIRAWEB0QHjIICCEQFhAdEB4yCAghEBYQHRAeMggIIRAWEB0QHjoECAAQR1DBrQFYwa0BYKevAWgAcAJ4AIABrgGIAa4BkgEDMC4xmAEAoAEBqgEHZ3dzLXdpesgBCMABAQ&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwj_977ZhMnuAhWiRDABHREkACoQ4dUDCAw&uact=5

Photoshop crashing on AMD: 

https://www.google.com/search?safe=off&client=safari&sxsrf=ALeKk02zHbCHjKoLbxaEw_Vdlj0Bi697DA%3A1612194568638&ei=CCMYYMjJJqqEwbkPpuOSwAo&q=photoshop+crashing+on+amd&oq=photoshop+crashing+on+amd&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAzIECCMQJzoECAAQRzoICCEQFhAdEB5Qxb8BWNHBAWCUwwFoAHACeACAAWGIAf8BkgEBM5gBAKABAaoBB2d3cy13aXrIAQbAAQE&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwjI7cnkhMnuAhUqQjABHaaxBKgQ4dUDCAw&uact=5

Photoshop crashing on intel: 

https://www.google.com/search?safe=off&client=safari&sxsrf=ALeKk027RtR_crmcLuMCIAuLZmYzgVcK2g%3A1612194594613&ei=IiMYYLyEJbWEwbkPuZWZoAk&q=photoshop+crashing+on+intel&oq=photoshop+crashing+on+intel&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAzIICCEQFhAdEB4yCAghEBYQHRAeMggIIRAWEB0QHjIICCEQFhAdEB4yCAghEBYQHRAeMggIIRAWEB0QHjoECAAQRzoCCAA6CAgAEBYQChAeOgYIABAWEB5Q3IcBWImKAWCgiwFoAHAEeAGAAX2IAewDkgEDMi4zmAEAoAEBqgEHZ3dzLXdpesgBCMABAQ&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwi8nfvwhMnuAhU1QjABHblKBpQQ4dUDCAw&uact=5

photoshop crashing on nvidia: 

https://www.google.com/search?safe=off&client=safari&sxsrf=ALeKk00jIF9Zzina_CEuPRITRkpEgQhOGg%3A1612194613128&ei=NSMYYP24B_avwbkPgNuW4Ao&q=photoshop+crashing+on+nvidia&oq=photoshop+crashing+on+nvidia&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAzIICCEQFhAdEB4yCAghEBYQHRAeOgQIABBHUIxiWMRpYOlsaABwAngAgAFXiAHrA5IBATaYAQCgAQGqAQdnd3Mtd2l6yAEIwAEB&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwi9p-X5hMnuAhX2VzABHYCtBawQ4dUDCAw&uact=5

The world is a big enough place that if you search for photoshop crashing on anything, it exists. 

... and especially software in public beta, on day one. 

I'll consider the M1 Macbooks reasonable choices when they move the high voltage lines away from the eDP connector.

24 minutes ago, Obioban said:

a launch day bug for public beta software that has since been fixed

It has what?  

24 minutes ago, Obioban said:

Note to mention, you realize you can search for anything and find it crashing... right? 

You confuse yourself with user error and incompatibility /buggy software. 

Yes you can find single instances of using a software in a random setup crashing but mostly that is due to user error or something else not tested (e.g a particular driver of a particular piece of hardware). 

Apple uses a closed OS which means that everything (at least should) be tested and ready to work with apple hardware and software. (it doesnt need to account for a Nvidia driver for example because a) it doesnt have nvidia GPUs anymore b) similar to "a" it only focuses on the hardware it sells for its products and the drivers for that hardware)  

Which is totally different than 99% of the examples you posted above. 

The issue here is that the program it self is not compatible with the ARM chip and needs to be emulated via rosetta which works kinda..

This is not an isolated issue with some specific setup but it is simply not working with the particular hardware. otherwise you would have a native version for it. 

untill then issues like that https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/photoshop-beta/photoshop-beta-on-m1-crashes-with-crop-tool/6012e9b4afca016da3030f79 will keep to exist 

iOS is closed. MacOS is not. You can turn off the safeties and do whatever you want on MacOS. 

I would say the reason that software is buggy is that it's beta software. That's generally the state of beta software, eh? The reason for public beta is to find bugs. GM is due out in Q1, which is end of net month. Until then, you can run the GM release of the Intel version through rosetta and still be faster than 99% of computer sold. 

5 minutes ago, Obioban said:

MacOS is not.

Yes it is, it not only is but it is a prime example of one in other words when you think about closed OSs MacOS is the first thing that comes into mind lol. 

5 minutes ago, Obioban said:

I would say the reason that software is buggy is that it's beta software. 

And we are doing circles now... exactly it is not compatible with the hardware and that I would have noticed it had I selected to purchase one. 

8 minutes ago, papajo said:

Yes it is, it not only is but it is a prime example of one in other words when you think about closed OSs MacOS is the first thing that comes into mind lol. 

And we are doing circles now... exactly it is not compatible with the hardware and that I would have noticed it had I selected to purchase one. 

yes, lots of people ignorantly assume MacOS is closed because of their iOS experiences. Doesn't mean it's correct. 

MacOS is fundamentally Unix, and 99% of that functionality remains accessible. The only way it's particularly restrictive is what hardware it can run on. 

2 hours ago, papajo said:

Regardless of how it is done, 70-80% of native performance is nothing to be sneered at. In fact, because of the performance jump it can be faster to run Rosetta programs on the M1 over the x86 chip used before.

SPECint2017(C/C++) - Rosetta2 vs Native Score %

The M1 Firestorm and Icestorm cores are completely different. This isn't some low end SoC using two sets of 4 A53s for "8 core marketing purposes". The smaller Icestorm cores are already almost as performant as older A72/73 designs.

Amazon's Graviton2 (full fat 64 core ARM server processor) would like a word with you:

https://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph15578/115096.png

9 minutes ago, papajo said:

No, if you had purchased one you would, as is the default, currently be running it under Rosetta and not notice anything particularly distinctive about that experience. At some point (they say Q1) Adobe will decide the Apple Silicon version is stable enough to push out, and it would update automatically. Likely you wouldn't even know that occurred, unless you follow version notes. 

5 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

Regardless of how it is done, 70-80% of native performance is nothing to be sneered at. In fact, because of the performance jump it can be faster to run Rosetta programs on the M1 over the x86 chip used before.

Again with the obscure isolated synthetic benchmark test, show me rosseta on real life apps and how it fairs there (also show me CPU utilization and RAM usage while at it) 

Not to mention that it still is emulation meaning that weird stuff/data loss/ bugs are destined to exist. 

Dont get me wrong I admire Rosetta 2 its very impressive but it is very impressive at what it does, that doesnt mean that we should do that or choosing to do that. 

10 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

The M1 Firestorm and Icestorm cores are completely different

They are still exrta physical cores. 

11 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

Amazon's Graviton2 (full fat 64 core ARM server processor) would like a word with you:

Again ingoring the synthetic benchmark and not actual workload depiction you realize that you compare a 64 core CPU against AMD's 32core CPU (clocked at a lower frequency btw ) and 24 core Intel xeon (again clocked at a lower frequency) 

And the performance difference is marginal 

The funny thing is that in this particular synthetics Intel comes above AMD although AMD surely having the faster CPU

30 minutes ago, Obioban said:

No, if you had purchased one you would, as is the default, currently be running it under Rosetta and not notice anything particularly distinctive about that experience

Because you are the layman I described in my initial post for this product it does your facebooks your words and your excels and plays your videos snapy it is a nice product for you. 

Good for you!  (I am not against people buying this product or enjoying it of course! )

But the above is far different from saying that RISC is better than CISC or that if you dont have an M1 you live in the stoneage. 

1 hour ago, papajo said:

Because you are the layman I described in my initial post for this product it does your facebooks your words and your excels and plays your videos snapy it is a nice product for you. 

Good for you!  (I am not against people buying this product or enjoying it of course! )

But the above is far different from saying that RISC is better than CISC or that if you dont have an M1 you live in the stoneage. 

Lol. What's your definition of layman? I use my home computers (macs) for software development, home automation, video editing, personal finance, car programming/coding, etc. I run a fairly highly frequented forum. I've built multiple PCs, as well, though I have to admit I haven't turned the current one on since I got the M1 Air 😛

What exactly is your definition of layman? 

The only person making a big deal about RISC vs CISC in this thread is you, saying that ARM is incapable of running "real software" (which you still haven't defined). 

1 hour ago, papajo said:

They are still exrta physical cores. 

2vf953.png

1 hour ago, papajo said:

Dont get me wrong I admire Rosetta 2 its very impressive but it is very impressive at what it does, that doesnt mean that we should do that or choosing to do that. 

Rosetta 2 is a translation layer to get through the transition period. It is there to make the transition feasible. It works absurdly well-- most software runs better in Rosetta 2 than it did natively on the Intel processors the Apple Silicon replaced. 

Right now we are are 2.5 months into Apple silicon being on the market. As you pointed out earlier, 56% of the software sampled on that site is already running natively. 

At some point, Rosetta will be dropped, as the software will either be translated or is abandonware. Rosetta 1 (used for the PowerPC to Intel Transition) lasted 3 versions of MacOS (MacOS is currently updated yearly). At this point I only use Rosetta 2 for Microsoft teams (the rest of office is already running natively). 

23 minutes ago, Obioban said:

Lol. What's your definition of layman? I use my home computers (macs) for software development, home automation, video editing, personal finance, car programming/coding, etc. I run a fairly highly frequented forum. I've built multiple PCs, as well, though I have to admit I haven't turned the current one on since I got the M1 Ai

You forgot about the NASA project you are involved for sending men to Mars... 

What you seem to be is a double digit post count new account that (from what already stated) is not much technically inclined (and the reason you may be surprised in your next post and argue about that will only serve as proof to the minority of people reading this and are actually technically inclined but you wouldnt care about that because you would rather get the approval of the majority of people that don't know the difference and would like to support your notion of "apple best" ) 

That being said it is not wise to judge a book by its cover but you are either that or not being completely honest because you couldnt possibly be involved in all that while using an armchip (M1) and never noticed any drawbacks and consider it to be superior in terms of raw performance and compatibility compared to x86 architectures. 

So choose your poison, either you just were not completely honest about who you are or you are who you claim to be but you are not being completely honest about your experience with that chip. 

54 minutes ago, papajo said:

You forgot about the NASA project you are involved for sending men to Mars... 

What you seem to be is a double digit post count new account that (from what already stated) is not much technically inclined (and the reason you may be surprised in your next post and argue about that will only serve as proof to the minority of people reading this and are actually technically inclined but you wouldnt care about that because you would rather get the approval of the majority of people that don't know the difference and would like to support your notion of "apple best" ) 

That being said it is not wise to judge a book by its cover but you are either that or lying because you couldnt possibly be involved in all that while using an armchip (M1) and never noticed any drawbacks and consider it to be superior in terms of raw performance and compatibility compared to x86 architectures. 

So choose your poison, either you just lied about who you are or you are lying about your experience with that chip. 

Lol. 

Forum I run: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/main-forum/e46-2001-2006/46-welcome-read-this-first

Video I made (a decade ago, but clearly is me given the Obioban mentions) with reasonable editing:

(corny, but that was to meet of the rules of the contest-- this video ended up winning me a trip to Germany)

Guide I wrote to car programming/coding: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/e9x-2008-2013/e9x-coding-tuning/82342-comprehensive-programmable-option-coding-thread

Not showing pictures of my personal finance, but I suspect you don't care about that use case. 

Want pictures of my PC build? You'll love it-- I built it into a PowerMac G5 case (before Linus did 😛).

And software development is undoubtedly your favorite-- Swift in Xcode. 

(Which is why the compile test you choose to ignore every time amused me-- 9% battery used on M1 to compile the same project as the Intel needed 76% of the battery to compile, on an otherwise identical computer (13" 2 port MacBook Pro). 

Can we get a concrete example of the kind of program that can run on X86 that can't run on ARM?