Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Best compatible budget build for old lga 775 machine

I need to use a very old computer. Right now it has pentium e5400. I saw a core 2 quad q9400 for 12$. Are there any better options at this price range?

Thanks

the best extreme edition is bout $100, probrably the only cpu that can acceptable performance browsing, the core 2 quads in genaral i avoid because the i7-925 extreme has better performance

Just now, ComputerBuilder said:

the best extreme edition is bout $100, probrably the only cpu that can acceptable performance browsing, the core 2 quads in genaral i avoid because the i7-925 extreme has better performance

The Core 2 Quad are fairly decent still, just don't spend a ton of money on any of them.

Main System (Byarlant): Ryzen 5 1600X | Asus B350-F Strix | Corsair H80i V2 | 16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MHz CAS-14 | XFX RX 5600 XT THICC II | Samsung 960 PRO 512GB / Samsung 970 EVO 500GB / Seagate 7200RPM 3TB | Corsair CX650M | Mellanox ConnectX-2 10G NIC | Anidees AI-07BW Case | Dell U3415W Monitor | Microsoft Modern Keyboard

FreeNAS Server (Veda): Core i3-4170 | Supermicro X10SLL-F | Corsair H60 | 32GB Micron DDR3L ECC 1600MHz | 4x 10TB WD Whites / 1x Samsung PM961 128GB SSD / 1x Kingston 16GB SSD | Corsair CX430M | Mellanox ConnectX-2 10G NIC | LSI 9207-8i LBA | Fractal Design Node 804 Case (side panels swapped to show off drives)

Media Center/Video Capture (Jesta): Core i7-2600 | Asus H77M-PRO | Stock Cooler | 8GB No-name DDR3 | EVGA GTX750Ti SC | Sandisk UltraII SSD 64GB / Seagate 1.5TB HDD | Corsair CX450M | Hauppauge ImpactVCB-PCIe | Syba USB3.1 Gen 2 Card | LG UH12NS30 BD-ROM | Silverstone Sugo SG-11 Case

Laptop (Narrative): Lenovo Flex 5 81X20005US | Ryzen 5 4500U | 16GB RAM (soldered) | Vega 6 Graphics | UMIS 256GB NVMe SSD | (all-around awesome machine)

Laptop (Rozen-ZuluSony VAIO VPCF13WFX | Core i7-740QM | 8GB Patriot DDR3 | GT 425M | Kingston 120GB SSD | Blu-ray Drive | (lived a good life, retired with honor)

Tablet (---): Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (crosses fingers)
Tablet (ReGZ)Asus T102HA (BIOS clock doesn't tick, loses time when sleep/off) (I kill tablets with disturbing regularity)

Tablet (Unicorn)Surface Pro 2 (battery will reset total capacity to current charge, leading Windows to think it's always 100% charged until it dies)

Tablet (Loto)Dell Venue 8 Pro (screen discoloration issues, wouldn't update to Windows 10)

Tablet: iPad 2 16GB (WiFi died, basically useless after that)

Testbed/Old Desktop (Kshatriya): Xeon X5470 @ 4.0GHz | ZALMAN CNPS9500 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3L | 8GB Nanya DDR2 400MHz | XFX HD6870 DD | OCZ Vertex 3 Max-IOPS 120GB | Corsair CX430M (?) | HooToo USB 3.0 PCIe Card | NZXT H230 Case

Camera: Sony ɑ7II (w/ Meike Grip) | Sony SEL24240 | Samyang 35mm ƒ/2.8 | Sony SEL50F18F | Sony SEL2870 (kit lens) | PNY Elite Perfomance SDXC cards

idk maybe i just rely on linus benchmarks t much, but linus had 30% with double extreme edition cpus i was talking bout, he was running 4k youtube with 2 other tabs, and he had ddr2 ram which is a bummer bout quads

I have a hp station so I have to use the lga775. Extremes aren't worth it because of their price. I'm not gonna spend 50$ for obsolete tech. I just want to make the PC work better than the pentium for light usage. So I wanted to know what you think would be best for the buck at this price range

I'll also add a gt 710 2gb gddr5 for 40$

1 minute ago, ComputerBuilder said:

oo lol, welp then take the quad, it is a millon times better than any pentium in the world

Thank you. There aren't any extreme at the 20$~ price range right? Also is the q9400 for 12$ good? All the above are like 60$+ (9500, 9600, etc)

2 minutes ago, ComputerBuilder said:

ye, for u take it, then u can upgrade, because quad core is needed with a dam gt 710

Oh now that you say that gt 710 might bottleneck I didn't think about it.. get 710 has 2 versions 2gb gddr5 and 1gb gddr3. Will any of them bottleneck? Do you have a better combination than the gt 710+ c2q q9400? It doesn't have to be a better performance but just usable (1080p)

befoe my pc dissapeard, i upgraded my hp from i5-2400s to i7-2600s, my i5 would always be above %50 usage while 2k videos, and 1080p roblox shit

but i7- hasnt eveer gone above %20 i think

5 minutes ago, ComputerBuilder said:

befoe my pc dissapeard, i upgraded my hp from i5-2400s to i7-2600s, my i5 would always be above %50 usage while 2k videos, and 1080p roblox shit

but i7- hasnt eveer gone above %20 i think

They were paired with gt 710 2gb gddr5? And Yes but also the c2q q9400 is from like 2008

Hello,

I need to upgrade an old hp workstation to a more usable condition. Right now it has pentium e5400 with integrated graphics.

I thought to upgrade to core 2 quad q9400 + gt 710 2gb gddr5 for total of 60$. But with such old CPU I forgot it may even bottleneck the gt 710. Are there better combinations for cpu+gpu at this 50$~ budget? Doesn't have to be better than my suggestion, just more usable.

Thanks

41 minutes ago, Filingo said:

Hello,

I need to upgrade an old hp workstation to a more usable condition. Right now it has pentium e5400 with integrated graphics.

I thought to upgrade to core 2 quad q9400 + gt 710 2gb gddr5 for total of 60$. But with such old CPU I forgot it may even bottleneck the gt 710. Are there better combinations for cpu+gpu at this 50$~ budget? Doesn't have to be better than my suggestion, just more usable.

Theme

Nah.... I don't it will bottleneck the gpu.

The best one I can find at least on where I lived anyway is Q9400 + GTX 750 ti for $60 or Q6600 + GTX 750 ti for $50.

Remember! Reality Is An Illusion, The Universe Is A Hologram, Buy GOLD! Byeeee!!!

-= Topics Merged =-

Please post only one topic of the same subject.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS     |     TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES     |     FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |     F@H & BOINC Badge Request     |    F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

Spoiler

†  

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "the best way to learn is to teach" ~ Benjamin Jantz

I am a StarCitizen are you? My ships: Aegis Eclipse, Aegis Sabre, Aegis Gladius, Aopoa Nox, KI P52 Merlin, KI P72 Archimedes and the RSI Constellation Aquila.

My phones are a Samsung Note 9 and a Samsung S9+

🇺🇸   About Myself:   https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/229093-sansvarnic/?tab=field_core_pfield_46   🇺🇸

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

6 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

-= Topics Merged =-

Please post only one topic of the same subject.

Haha ok sorry it's just that at first I only asked about CPU then realized I need to ask about the entire system

Update: I forgot to mention that the PSU is 240w only:

5.08V: 17A

3.33V: 15A

12V: 7.5A

How does it affect the cpu+gpu choice?

3 hours ago, Filingo said:

Update: I forgot to mention that the PSU is 240w only:

5.08V: 17A

3.33V: 15A

12V: 7.5A

How does it affect the cpu+gpu choice?

It'll still work. If you're just using it as an office rig then just pick up any core 2 quad, some extra ram if you can still go any further and an ssd for a boot drive.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 hour ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

It'll still work. If you're just using it as an office rig then just pick up any core 2 quad, some extra ram if you can still go any further and an ssd for a boot drive.

Thank you. Can you explain to me why please? I was also planning to pair it with a gt 710 but I guess that's out of question?