Did the Nvidia and AMD launches suck/were vapoware/ paperlaunches?

@LinusTech

Well I hear that all the time and I cant find one of those available in the entire continent of europe. 

But there is a Simple way to find that out for sure and everybody discusses that but nobody with the ability to do so does it.... 

It's very simple with guys that have the networking inside those firms to ask them as techjurnalists (e.g ltt, gamers nexus etc etc etc) 

HOW MANY UNITS DID YOU SELL UP UNTIL NOW UNDER YOUR BRAND?

Its as simple as that... AMD or Nvidia are not barns... they are companies... even farmers know how much milk they produced... 

AMD as well as Nvidia can tell us we released "this many" cards to US to Europe etc.... 

So please ask them and everything will be clear... 

If e.g AMD  sold e.g 2000 units to America and 1000 units to EU  then its a vaporware/paper launch (considering the populations in those continents are in the hundreds of millions actually America as in the continent should be a billion or so)

So why didnt anybody of those gentlemen just ask this and release said data to the public?  

1. Tagging linus will not do anything, just clutter up his mentions.

2. Companies will probably not release that information unfortunately. I'm not even sure if they're allowed to. Since many of them are publicly traded, all information release has to go through official channels.

3.Ryzen 5000 was most definitely not a paper launch. the 5800X has been available for sometimes hours without going out of stock, and it's just that demand is insanely high right now.

4. RTX 3000 series was also not a paper launch, they just really didn't have that much stock available at the beginning. I'm not sure about europe but if you go to the comments on nowinstock.net (on their 3080 section) people are getting lots of these cards. Like the Ryzen launch, there's just lots of demand.

5. The only launch that might've been a paper launch was Radeon 6000 series, which sold out super fast.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

3 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

5800X has been available for sometimes hours without going out of stock

You can probably guess why *cough* *cough* all the review saying to not buy it

Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

3 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

1. Tagging linus will not do anything, just clutter up his mentions.

2. Companies will probably not release that information unfortunately. I'm not even sure if they're allowed to. Since many of them are publicly traded, all information release has to go through official channels.

3.Ryzen 5000 was most definitely not a paper launch. the 5800X has been available for sometimes hours without going out of stock, and it's just that demand is insanely high right now.

4. RTX 3000 series was also not a paper launch, they just really didn't have that much stock available at the beginning. I'm not sure about europe but if you go to the comments on nowinstock.net (on their 3080 section) people are getting lots of these cards. Like the Ryzen launch, there's just lots of demand.

5. The only launch that might've been a paper launch was Radeon 6000 series, which sold out super fast.

1) last time I did that it worked :P 

2)  Not true.

3) how do you know that the demand is insanely high? also I couldnt find one of those either in the entire continent of europe and apparently people still cant find them 

1 minute ago, Gundar said:

You can probably guess why *cough* *cough* all the review saying to not buy it

Nope he is just speculating/imagining things or talks about an other continent maybe

and that's why some good old techjurnalism should put an end to all the speculation... just reveal the number of units sold or released that simple... It surely is documented from the main importer of each continent... like we receive X number of SKU Y and so on and so forth. 

3 minutes ago, papajo said:

3) how do you know that the demand is insanely high? also I couldnt find one of those either in the entire continent of europe and apparently people still cant find them 

because if you look around on forums, you see that people are buying up these cpu's or are currently trying to buy them, it's not hard, open your eyes.

AMD blackout rig

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

1 minute ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

because if you look around on forums, you see that people are buying up these cpu's or are currently trying to buy them, it's not hard, open your eyes.

which could just mean that the supply is limited and people cant buy and look for them... 

Hence, everything is a speculation unless one of those guys that does this for a living just makes some good old tech journalism and ask around for numbers. 

4 minutes ago, papajo said:

which could just mean that the supply is limited and people cant buy and look for them... 

Hence, everything is a speculation unless one of those guys that does this for a living just makes some good old tech journalism and ask around for numbers. 

no you don't understand, even when third gen ryzen, or tenth gen intel launched, there wasn't so much demand for CPU's, everybody and their monkey wants one.

AMD blackout rig

7 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

no you don't understand, even when third gen ryzen, or tenth gen intel launched, there wasn't so much demand for CPU's, everybody and their monkey wants one.

Why are you saying things as facts when you cant prove them? Obviously its a few days before Christmas and demand is higher but both companies should know that beforehand.

Last but not least I can prove that the supply of e.g Ryzen 3000 serries was healthy https://www.counterpointresearch.com/amd-q3-2019-highest-quarterly-revenue-decade-driven-ryzen-shipments/

They launched on Q3 2019 and on that quarter they made their biggest sales revenue = (money from units sold > units were available to be sold) 

so in order to prove higher demand you either must know that they number of units for 5000 series was at least as big as 3000 

Or know that the revenue was bigger.

If the revenue was the same or smaller then the demand was about the same or lower. 

And I dont remember people hunting for 3000 series CPUs (despite being AMD's biggest sale hit which means demand was higher than usual) which means that the supply was good and it wasnt a paperlaunch. 

I couldn't care less about this things really. Besides I don't have money to buy those things anyaway.

Remember! Reality Is An Illusion, The Universe Is A Hologram, Buy GOLD! Byeeee!!!

believe what you'd like to, clearly no one is going to change your mind.

1 minute ago, papajo said:

Last but not least I can prove that the supply of e.g Ryzen 3000 serries was healthy

and so is the supply of fifth gen

1 minute ago, papajo said:

If the revenue was the same or smaller than the demand was about the same or lower. 

not entirely we are late q4

2 minutes ago, papajo said:

And I dont remember people hunting for 3000 series GPUs

wtf do you mean, have you been on social media within the last few weeks, of any sort? people are looking all over the place for them, it's insane

AMD blackout rig

1 minute ago, PiberiusWilde said:

I couldn't care less about this things really. Besides I don't have money to buy those things anyaway.

My mother doesnt care either but she doesnt post about it lol :P I mean what's the meaning of this post? 

To complain about the prices? 

Yes you are right MSRPs are ridiculous on their own and because it seems to be a paperlaunch the prices of the few units available are even more ridiculous... I saw a 5900x for 1000 euro (1187 USD) for example on the german amazon 

10 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

and so is the supply of fifth gen

because you say so? Everything indicates to the contrary unless you can prove that the demand is much higher. 

not entirely we are late q4

I am starting to think you dont know what you are talking about and just want to counter my post.... we are talking about q4 for 5000 series because they released on q4 of this year...

I mentioned q3 2019 on ryzen 3000 because it released on q3 2019 that's how you compare apples to apples in sales. 

wtf do you mean, have you been on social media within the last few weeks, of any sort? people are looking all over the place for them, it's insane

Do you even read what you quote? I was talking about people NOT being on social meadia and forums complaining about not being able to purchase a ryzen 3000 series CPU hence the supply was healthy 

The fact that people do now do that for the ryzen 5000  indicates that the supply is low if not close to non existent.  Unless you can prove AMD made an huge revenue that dwarfs that of the ryzen 3000 series launch (which was already the biggest for AMD which means that deman was high for those 3000 series CPUs too) 

19 minutes ago, papajo said:

because you say so? Everything indicates to the contrary unless you can prove that the demand is much higher. 

show me something that says demand is normal for fifth gen, and that supplies were low. 

19 minutes ago, papajo said:

we are talking about q4 for 5000 series because they released on q4 of this year...

yes but fifth gen released mid-way through Q4, third gen ryzen released 7 days after quarter three started.

26 minutes ago, papajo said:

The fact that people do now do that for the ryzen 5000  indicates that the supply is low if not close to non existent.  Unless you can prove AMD made an huge revenue that dwarfs that of the ryzen 3000 series launch (which was already the biggest for AMD which means that deman was high for those 3000 series CPUs too) 

but look at all the people who got them, the demand is absolutely insane.

a local hardware store had around 5 -10 of each 5600x, 5800x, 5900x, 5950x, which is normal, there were as many third gen. but the difference is, they were gone the same day they were available to buy, third gen was there for a few days before restocking. (I work across the street, and know quite a few of the employees personally) 

I will say that AMD graphics cards were a paper launch, i haven't seen 1 person with one anywhere.

AMD blackout rig

5 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

but look at all the people who got them

Who got them? I only know youtubers... in my entire country for example nobody got it except a few posts here and there I see bragging about managing to get one imported lol... while in contrast it was as easy as going to my closest retail store and buy my 3900x when it launched for example. In this forum a few topics under mine there is a guy mentioning price scalpers in India for those CPUs price scalpers apear only if supply is close to 0... in a football game for example you will find people outside the stadium selling tickets at huge prices when the "normal" tickets are sold out.. that is how it works lol 

A and a bunch of other topics complaining about the same thing... do you remember any such behavior on 2019? I dont... 

As for the rest of the post you are making circles. 

That's my point you are being so confident that the demand is huge not I so you need to prove it not I. 

And I just say that everything indicates a paperlaunch and the only way to prove it is if people like ltt do their job and just ask the companies themselves or import companies about the number of units they imported. as easy as that. 

14 minutes ago, Sakuriru said:

$150-180 over MSRP.

Where? 

In europe you simply cant buy one (even the smaller skus like 5600 /5800x ) it either out of stock or "when we get supply" 

When I happen to see like one unit for sale or something like that the prices are 100% over MSRP e.g as I mention 1000 euro for a 5900x (not 5950x ) 

3 minutes ago, Sakuriru said:

Here, but I don't know if it's legitimate or not.

In america.. and it says ETA (so expected no guarantees) 25th of november might be legit since it offers paypal but the fact that the website doesnt have a certificate is concerning. 

edit: when you click "live update" it says that the handling time is 3-4 weeks or less :P anyway proceed at your own risk. still a healthy 150$ over MSRP as you mentioned. 

Since I mentioned the 1000 euro 5900x... 

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B08164VTWH?tag=haggle-web-de-21&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1&language=en_GB

If you check for "see all reviews from other countries" and check on "verified purchaseS" you will find like 8 reviews in total... which means that the number of buyers (hence units available/sold) cant be more than a small two digit number and that's for all european amazon shops lol 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B08164VTWH/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_viewopt_rvwer?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=avp_only_reviews&pageNumber=1

2 hours ago, papajo said:

Nobody needs to explain anything to you, you are spoiled and that topic is tiresome and repeated. All 15yo kids, think that there is a dark plan and companies are laughing so them. Simple story thou. They can't produce due to covid-19, the demand is to the roof we have to wait to the "crap" 2000 series for now.

There are shortages for everything on the world including medicines and GPU will go with it, deal with it and live on

5 minutes ago, PeachGr said:

Nobody needs to explain anything to you, you are spoiled and that topic is tiresome and repeated. All 15yo kids, think that there is a dark plan and companies are laughing so them. Simple story thou. They can't produce due to covid-19, the demand is to the roof we have to wait to the "crap" 2000 series for now.

There are shortages for everything on the world including medicines and GPU will go with it, deal with it and live on

that's the least intelligent post in here... they cant produce due to covid-19 do you even know how a wafer fab works? robots cant get covid and the small number of people operating in those huge facilities are in a clean room wearing full bodysuits with their own oxygen supply lol 

1ca3b7818cf5f39744b2c65a56c25edf.jpg

5058979485_99eca253e5_b.jpg

For some anecdotal information, I live in Beijing. I ordered a 5600x on Thursday night, I finished the build last night. 

Getting a cpu isn't that difficult here. I had my choice with only the 5900x sold out. 

1 hour ago, Sakuriru said:

I don't know anyone who got them. And they don't know anyone who got one either, despite trying. That's two degrees of separation.

i know five people locally, personally that have them, i saw over 35 5th gen chips sell out across the street from my work in one day, at a rather slow store.

(they had about 35 3rd gen chips on launch day that took days before needing a restock) 

they were out there, but are constantly getting bought up, everyone wants one right now.

AMD blackout rig

13 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

i know five people locally, personally that have them, i saw over 35 5th gen chips sell out across the street from my work in one day, at a rather slow store.

(they had about 35 3rd gen chips on launch day that took days before needing a restock) 

they were out there, but are constantly getting bought up, everyone wants one right now.

dude the entire amazon verified purchase review list for all the SKUs from all the amazon stores is less than 50 reviews....  that's a global scale group from the biggest online retailer in the world. 

Ofcourse that doesnt mean that it represents the total number of sold units because there are quite a few that buy and dont leave a review and probably most do that but it is a dependent variable that scales with the total number of units sold by amazon. (e.g it cant be that lets say 1.000.000 units are sold and only 50 people left a review as a comparison the number of verfied purchases with the same criteria for the 3000 series is about 10,000 reviews )

4 minutes ago, papajo said:

dude the entire amazon verified purchase review list for all the SKUs from all the amazon stores is less than 50 reviews....  that's a global scale group from the biggest online retailer in the world. 

is it an amazon listing or a third party?

AMD blackout rig

Just now, Letgomyleghoe said:

is it an amazon listing or a third party?

verified purchases are all the purchases sold via amazon so 3rd party sellers (that sold the item within amazon) are included.