Asus vg249q first impressions: piece of garbage

Filingo

I wanted to join the 144Hz hype and bought the vg249q by Asus after seeing that it's a good "budget" monitor - I guess I found out why it's relatively cheap for the 144Hz..

As soon as I sit in front of it my eyes start to work hard looking at the text.. 

It's so not sharp that my eyes just tell me to get up and stop watching it. my 7 year-old Samsung TN panel is better for reading than this sh**

It may have smooth movement but that's what happens when you have 144Hz. However, the more important aspects of monitors do not exist in this one: Eye comfort and clarity when viewing things. It's so ugly that I feel so bad getting it.

Don't know who is this "Panda" that made this garbage panel, but I'll stick to Samsung, Dell or LG next time. 

Wow what a waste of money... 60Hz Dell UltraSharp ftw... wish I could return it

Did you make sure the subpixel layout wasn't an issue, by updating drivers or tweaking monitor settings? 

my aorus monitor has some serious problems with my Nvidia drivers, intermittently changing the subpixel layout and giving some rainbow fuzzies to the black lines of text. Changing the refresh rate back and forth between 120 and 144 or changing the color settings can sometimes fix it, although once when I was particularly annoyed I used DDU and redownloaded the drivers.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

7 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Did you make sure the subpixel layout wasn't an issue, by updating drivers or tweaking monitor settings? 

my aorus monitor has some serious problems with my Nvidia drivers, intermittently changing the subpixel layout and giving some rainbow fuzzies to the black lines of text. Changing the refresh rate back and forth between 120 and 144 or changing the color settings can sometimes fix it, although once when I was particularly annoyed I used DDU and redownloaded the drivers.

Ok whattt? I just plugged my old laptop with Intel i5-4200m with HD Graphics 4600 and it really looks better! The desktop Pc uses Vega 8 as Graphics.. you think I should use DDU?

3 minutes ago, Filingo said:

Ok whattt? I just plugged my old laptop with Intel i5-4200m with HD Graphics 4600 and it really looks better! The desktop Pc uses Vega 8 as Graphics.. you think I should use DDU?

yeah it could just be a little driver hiccup.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

10 hours ago, Glenwing said:

Have you played with any of the monitor settings, or just basing things on the default settings?

Default, only used Blue light filter. But it's weird that it looks clearer on the old Intel laptop

10 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

yeah it could just be a little driver hiccup.

Ok I will try, thank you

3 minutes ago, Filingo said:

Ok I will try, thank you

I recommend trying while the monitor plugged into the PC so the difference is clear and/or the layout is fixed automatically

Primary PC:

I know I've had to do more monitor tuning when using AMD/ATI graphics to get things looking right.  There should be a whole control panel for your graphics settings as well as adjustments that can be made within the monitor to get the pixels lined up just right.  There have been times when I was doing a bit of tune-up and maintenance on some of our PCs, and I've wondered how the user's eyes weren't bleeding with how bad some normally good monitors looked before adjustment...

12 hours ago, Tan3l6 said:

I'm on 144Hz already, it's something about sharpness, it's not crisp, it's blurry, but when I connect a laptop with Intel HD graphics it looks better

13 hours ago, Filingo said:

I'm on 144Hz already, it's something about sharpness, it's not crisp, it's blurry, but when I connect a laptop with Intel HD graphics it looks better

You tested all different DP/HMI ports on the iGPU of your PC?

I edit my posts more often than not

10 hours ago, Tan3l6 said:

You tested all different DP/HMI ports on the iGPU of your PC?

I will try that, but currently I do not have a vga/dvi which is what my motherboard outputs (1xHDMI, 1xDVI and 1xVGA) - you think the mobo might be the issue?

14 minutes ago, Filingo said:

I will try that, but currently I do not have a vga/dvi which is what my motherboard outputs (1xHDMI, 1xDVI and 1xVGA) - you think the mobo might be the issue?

I understand that you used hdmi. Well DVI should be good, but not much point using VGA, it's analogue signal and probably would show worse image.

Problem is probably not in the monitor itself....

I edit my posts more often than not

10 hours ago, Tan3l6 said:

I understand that you used hdmi. Well DVI should be good, but not much point using VGA, it's analogue signal and probably would show worse image.

Problem is probably not in the monitor itself....

will try to get a cable soon and report back

Update: It's actually not the source, looked once again using the Intel laptop. At first I guess I had a placibo of thinking oh it's better now. I woke up today and was amazed by how shitty and not sharp the image is. feel like I need glasses looking at text here. Never again "budget" monitors. Just wanted to feel 144Hz. 

Trust me: 144Hz is not worth it if it's cheap. Get something sharp with 60/75Hz from a reputable panel manufacturer, not "panda"..

I'd replace this monitor with an UltraSharp or some good Samsung/LG IPS any day

Ok I came to a conculsion: This is just a very low end monitor branded for "gaming" by Asus because it has 144Hz refresh rate. This "Panda" manufacturer is a low end piece of garbage. I tried multiple things but it's just a junk. This monitor worth no more than 100$. Please buy monitors from actual panel manufacturers such as LG/Samsung etc..

The image is so blurry that it hurts your eyes. Even a 720p 35" TV looks better than this. 
If you want something for viewing images / text and not for feeling "144hz" for gaming - never buy Asus or any company that uses 3rd party low-end garbage unknown panel manufacturer - not worth your money. Worst image quality I've seen and it's the panel really there is no other option - this is just a shit panel.

Did you try doing Windows Cleartype?

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

3 hours ago, Mihle said:

Did you try doing Windows Cleartype?

Yep. But I think it's a combination of both being used to viewing 1080p on smartphones, and the quality of this monitor which is really bad. ClearType did nothing (I haven't used a PC monitor for years because I was also using a 15" laptop at 1080p so it was alright)

So the conclusion is: Only monitors from reputable monitor makers (Not nameless Chinese) and that 1440p > 144Hz even for 24".. If you have to choose between the two, definitely take higher resolution. And whoever says 1080p is enough for 24" is either crazy or didn't use 2K on 24".. damn my eyes are hurting as I'm typing this.. got a freaking 144Hz headache now

5 hours ago, Filingo said:

This "Panda" manufacturer is a low end piece of garbage. I tried multiple things but it's just a junk. This monitor worth no more than 100$. Please buy monitors from actual panel manufacturers such as LG/Samsung etc..

The image is so blurry that it hurts your eyes. Even a 720p 35" TV looks better than this.

Panda (now part of BOE, one of the world's top LCD factories) is actually a very good display manufacturer.  If the image is blurry no matter how things are adjusted, the problem is more likely the controller board Asus put into the monitor.  We have a lot of Asus monitors here because of the low price, and in my experience, the cheaper monitors from them have some pretty bad display controllers.  I've been able to get all of them looking nice, but on some, that actually required installing DVI to HDMI adapters due to poor operation over the HDMI connector.

We used to be a replacement screen dealer, and Panda's image quality on a good controller was actually sharp and pixel perfect whenever I tested them.  They were at least on par with LG, AUO and Innolux.

7 hours ago, VIVO-US said:

Panda (now part of BOE, one of the world's top LCD factories) is actually a very good display manufacturer.  If the image is blurry no matter how things are adjusted, the problem is more likely the controller board Asus put into the monitor.  We have a lot of Asus monitors here because of the low price, and in my experience, the cheaper monitors from them have some pretty bad display controllers.  I've been able to get all of them looking nice, but on some, that actually required installing DVI to HDMI adapters due to poor operation over the HDMI connector.

We used to be a replacement screen dealer, and Panda's image quality on a good controller was actually sharp and pixel perfect whenever I tested them.  They were at least on par with LG, AUO and Innolux.

Good to know... but won't buy their products.

They can be a large manufacturer, but from my experience, Chinese companies are producing in large numbers, because well China is large and makes products for everyone. It really matters who is in charge of the inspection. For example you can say iPhones are made in China by Foxconn. But under high quality supervision. I had many low end Chinese phones that are produced in masses like the cheap Panda panels (Xiaomi, Meizu) and they all felt crap. So numbers don't always mean quality.

Here we're talking Chinese manufacturer (Panda) under Chinese supervision (Asus) - bad combination

And here is what happened to the monitor today: (notice black vertical line). 

this.jpeg

Asus - stick to laptops and motherboards... and after this experience I am not going to buy Asus ever again. Not because I got a defective screen. But because of the blatant false advertising. The way this company advertises itself. This monitor is not worth its money. It's bad. How can you even write "eye care"? What is this bul****? My eyes are hurt after light usage with this monitor... Only thing that worked was 144Hz... Things like that makes you not trust the brand. My first ever Asus product and probably my last.

Just for comparison I bought some cheap ASRock mobo and it worked like a charm. Not only that their mobo was the cheapest compared to others with more features, they also don't throw false advertisements to the air. They just write the details pure and simple. Not too many expectations but then they actually surprise you

I mean.. "ASUS TUF GAMING MONITOR, WITH EYE CARE, WITH EXTREME LOW BLUR, WITH BLA BLA BLA" - apparently it's just a low cost OEM panel from a Chinese manufacturer... damn Asus you did me wrong 1 time and that's it..