RTX 3080 @ PCIe x4 3.0

axxy750

Hi there,

the upper PCIe slot on my Asrock Z370 Pro4 is dead so i have to use the lower one at x4 3.0

My 1080 ti works fine with the slower slot, but my Zotac 3080 leaves my display black. The LEDs and Fans are on, but my display won't show anything. 

I'm using a be quiet! 750W Straight Power Platinum PS so that shouldnt be the issue. Is my card broken or do you think its because of the wrong PCIe slot?

Thanks for any replies!

7 minutes ago, axxy750 said:

my Zotac 3080

Sorry to de-tour

but

nice job on getting a 3080

seriously, well done

Was the 3080 working before? Did you buy it used or new? If the 3080 was in the upper slot when it went dead it's possible whatever happened to break the slot also damaged the 3080. The 3080 should still work in the x4 slot, well enough to get display from it, I wouldn't try to game with it in there. I recommend testing the 3080 in different computer if possible. 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

9 minutes ago, broccoli27 said:

Have you tried using different display outputs?

Currently not possible.

7 minutes ago, Spudwell06 said:

Sorry to de-tour

but

nice job on getting a 3080

seriously, well done

Thanks.

4 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Was the 3080 working before? Did you buy it used or new? If the 3080 was in the upper slot when it went dead it's possible whatever happened to break the slot also damaged the 3080. The 3080 should still work in the x4 slot, well enough to get display from it, I wouldn't try to game with it in there. I recommend testing the 3080 in different computer if possible. 

I don't know, it just arrived today. It's new. The upper slot died due to an absolutely avoidable fuckup on my end - the 3080 was never in there.

I'm trying to find an 1151 Mainboard ASAP but before, I would be glad to know it the card's okay.

1 minute ago, axxy750 said:

The upper slot died due to an absolutely avoidable fuckup on my end

If i may ask, what was said fuckup?

1 minute ago, Spudwell06 said:

If i may ask, what was said fuckup?

The PCIe lock got stuck and i wasn't able to reach it, so i pulled the 1080 ti from the left a bit and then I already heard the cracking sounds from the slot "pins". It's loose now. The slot itself was never the tightest anyway, maybe should have reclaimed it immediately when I received it.

Update: Black Screen is gone as long as i only use 1 display, not 2. As soon as i add the second DP cable the display starts flickering / goes black for several seconds. The main display works fine. GPU-Z says it's running @ x4 2.0, sometimes x4 1.1. New mainboard incoming.

3 hours ago, axxy750 said:

Hi there,

the upper PCIe slot on my Asrock Z370 Pro4 is dead so i have to use the lower one at x4 3.0

My 1080 ti works fine with the slower slot, but my Zotac 3080 leaves my display black. The LEDs and Fans are on, but my display won't show anything. 

I'm using a be quiet! 750W Straight Power Platinum PS so that shouldnt be the issue. Is my card broken or do you think its because of the wrong PCIe slot?

Thanks for any replies!

🤷‍♂️ Then, you should like, replace the motherboard dude. You won't be getting the performance out of the GPU you paid for anyway using slot X4. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

7 hours ago, BlackManINC said:

🤷‍♂️ Then, you should like, replace the motherboard dude. You won't be getting the performance out of the GPU you paid for anyway using slot X4. 

11 hours ago, axxy750 said:

I'm trying to find an 1151 Mainboard ASAP