Time to choose! (Pic included) - Gigabyte 3080 OC or PowerColor 6800 XT

ExTeR

Hi!

My current setup is a 5900X + MSI Tomahawk WIFI + 64 DDR4 3600Mhz CL16 + Gefore 970 3.5GB of ram (XD!)

I had problems with GTA 5 on launch date with my 970 some years ago and got frustrated, so I don't want to have that feeling again, so i'm a little bit worried with the 10gb of gddr6x.

I have those two options at the moment:

Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3080 Gaming OC 10GB GDDR6X - 751€

PowerColor 6800 XT - 669€

I will be playing at 1440P with 165 HZ monitor... (and maybe if I get a long cable in a 65" 4K TV, but that would be few times a year...)

ae699dba-dd13-4595-863e-76348dad2365.jpg

if you have the 5900x, i'd keep the 6800XT to take advantage of SAM.

or just look at benchmarks for the two cards for the games you play the most

Do you value DLSS/Raytracing/Encoding? Go 3080. Do you not care about those features and just want to game? 6800XT.

I'd keep the 3080 all the way, as DLSS-2.0 is pretty awesome and I doubt AMD will have anything that comes close since they don't have a bunch of die space directly set aside for it unlike the RTX cards. I'd scalp the fuck out of that 6800XT.

I agree with @NinJakehere, the 3080 definitely has some extra features/capability that you need to consider if you want or not.

However, I do think the 6800xt is the slightly better performer here, especially at 1440 165hz. From the benchmarks it seemed to me that the 3080 and the 6800xt definitely traded blows on the average framerate numbers, but that the 6800xt has much better 0.1% and 1% lows, which IMO provides a much better experience at high frame rates. 

We also don't know how AMD's "dlss" of their own will turn out when they roll it out in an update. It may or may not be comparable however I doubt AMD will be able to match Nvidia's level of dlss this generation.  Personally, I don't care for dlss or raytracing and won't really get hyped about RT in games for another couple generations. You would think this makes me lean heavy towards AMD's side this time... however the trade off is I already have a GSync monitor and value the NVENC from Nvidia.

Once again, if you just want to game or want that extra VRAM, the 6800XT is an excellent choice, but you can't go wrong with either.

There are exactly 3 reasons to go for the 3080 instead of the 6800XT.

1. You intend to primarily play games with raytracing implementations that exclusively favor Nvidia.

2. You are a professional that uses software that requires CUDA/Tensor capabilities.

3. You are a fanboi.

It's a bit of an oversimplification, but right now those are the only real main points in Nvidia's favor. The 6800XT with S.A.M. enabled outperforms the 3080 in more titles, and still outperforms in a few raytracing titles as well. (though that will doubtlessly increase in number due to AMD having an effective monopoly on console raytracing)

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

10 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

though that will doubtlessly increase in number due to AMD having an effective monopoly on console raytracing)

Yeah, im wondering if this will affect the 6800xt rt perf in things like MCRTX, which would really convince people who want rt to go amd. 

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

It doesn't really matter especially since you didn't really specify much other than "gaming" they're very similar on paper, the main differences are some features, basically you can choose which color you'd like better, it doesn't *really* matter. 

Also keep in mind in some time (couple of *months* or years who knows really) there will be better cards within the same gen, so the wise move would be to actually wait... 

I'm just saying this because I'm tired of hearing "had I only known this...." when a refresh releases... We do "know" this already today, there'll be 3060ti, 3080ti, 3070ti, etc etc, and some newer games might actually require those to be played maxed out or close to. 

(dunno what amd is planning but they'll have "something" too, im sure) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

12 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

There are exactly 3 reasons to go for the 3080 instead of the 6800XT.

1. You intend to primarily play games with raytracing implementations that exclusively favor Nvidia.

2. You are a professional that uses software that requires CUDA/Tensor capabilities.

3. You are a fanboi.

It's a bit of an oversimplification, but right now those are the only real main points in Nvidia's favor. The 6800XT with S.A.M. enabled outperforms the 3080 in more titles, and still outperforms in a few raytracing titles as well. (though that will doubtlessly increase in number due to AMD having an effective monopoly on console raytracing)

4. You see how DLSS-2.0 looks pretty much indistinguishable from native resolution while offering big performance gains

11 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

4. You see how DLSS-2.0 looks pretty much indistinguishable from native resolution while offering big performance gains

And is only available in very few titles, and AMD is working on a competitor right now.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

28 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

It doesn't really matter especially since you didn't really specify much other than "gaming" they're very similar on paper, the main differences are some features, basically you can choose which color you'd like better, it doesn't *really* matter. 

Also keep in mind in some time (couple of *months* or years who knows really) there will be better cards within the same gen, so the wise move would be to actually wait... 

I'm just saying this because I'm tired of hearing "had I only known this...." when a refresh releases... We do "know" this already today, there'll be 3060ti, 3080ti, 3070ti, etc etc, and some newer games might actually require those to be played maxed out or close to. 

(dunno what amd is planning but they'll have "something" too, im sure) 

Thanks... but the wait is always there in technology, My GPU is 6 years old+ and used the same "wait" strategy from a 3770 and took me 8 years (lol).

I could wait and go for a possible 3080TI, which "should" have the best overall status, but... they are not being capable of having stock right now so... why bother taking out new graphics cards? it can take another 6 month...?

25 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

14 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

And is only available in very few titles, and AMD is working on a competitor right now.

I don't know if this is a Sapphire exclusive thing, or AMD just had it somewhere but...in the Sapphire TriXX software, there is a 'TriXX Boost' feature.

Basically does what DLSS does; renders at a reduced resolution, and then upscales it + Radeon Sharpening.

(I have a Sapphire NITRO+ 5700 XT FYI)

jtyswodys5751.png?width=689&format=png&auto=webp&s=4d05f023dc5c91335d2cfa6ffa590b80d4a5c518

https://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/133400-sapphire-radeon-rx-5700-xt-pulse/?page=13

233b7629-6123-48f6-9ad0-4beac37064bf.png

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

21 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

With by far the biggest release of 2020, Cyberpunk 2077, being one of them. Hugely doubtful AMD's answer will be nearly as good without silicon dedicated to it.

7 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

I don't know if this is a Sapphire exclusive thing, or AMD just had it somewhere but...in the Sapphire TriXX software, there is a 'TriXX Boost' feature.

Basically does what DLSS does; renders at a reduced resolution, and then upscales it + Radeon Sharpening.

(I have a Sapphire NITRO+ 5700 XT FYI)

That sounds just like a rebranded version of Radeon Boost?? To my knowledge all that does is lowers the render resolution when moving the mouse. So not really a DLSS competitor. But I could be wrong.

25 minutes ago, TheBahrbarian said:

That sounds just like a rebranded version of Radeon Boost?? To my knowledge all that does is lowers the render resolution when moving the mouse. So not really a DLSS competitor. But I could be wrong.

Nvidia has this also, it's not DLSS at all, it's just good old (and fugly) upscaling lol. 

Also I tried that trixx version of it recently its at least as bad... 

It makes sense for really weak hardware, otherwise hell no. 

Edit: it's exactly this, different name same thing, you can pick any resolution it'll upscale to your monitor resolution... Sounds like DLSS, but it's totally not lol (obviously) 

20201119_222939.thumb.jpg.ebe4d6c9ea98737746098ae4695e5e74.jpg

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

25 minutes ago, TheBahrbarian said:

8 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Nvidia has this also, it's not DLSS at all, it's just good old (and fugly) upscaling lol. 

Also I tried that trixx version of it recently its at least as bad... 

It makes sense for really weak hardware, otherwise hell no. 

I see....interesting...

Never tried it out, so don't know how it looks.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

4 hours ago, ExTeR said:

PowerColor 6800 XT - 669€

definitely the 6800xt there is no question in my mind 

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

47 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

I don't know if this is a Sapphire exclusive thing,

it is, i have no such feature on my 5700xt (granted it is flashed) from XFX

AMD blackout rig

6 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

I see....interesting...

Never tried it out, so don't know how it looks.

It's literally the opposite of DSR, and it's just really fuzzy even at 90% render scale. I think it makes a lot of sense for hardware that couldn't play a game acceptably otherwise - it's just how they explain it you'd think it's the best thing ever lol. 

I really like DSR tho, but you definitely need the compute power, otherwise it'll just lag... 

It kills like 99% of any aliasing and things look just sharper (it's down sampling from higher internal resolution) not nvidia's invention but they made a damn good feature out of it. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

it is, i have no such feature on my 5700xt (granted it is flashed) from XFX

It comes with "trixx" and is honestly useless if you have even slightly decent hardware. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

definitely the 6800xt there is no question in my mind 

:o why is that ? appart from the ram...

Just now, ExTeR said:

:o why is that ? appart from the ram...

way cheaper for similarly performing hardware. 

RT is still shit on both cards IMO and not really worth deciding over.

you can use x264 encoding since you have a 5900x if you record or stream,

I doubt you have anything that exclusively uses tensor/CUDA 

AMD is working on a DLSS competitor atm.

if you really want RT go with the 3080.

AMD blackout rig

2 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

way cheaper for similarly performing hardware. 

RT is still shit on both cards IMO and not really worth deciding over.

you can use x264 encoding since you have a 5900x if you record or stream,

I doubt you have anything that exclusively uses tensor/CUDA 

AMD is working on a DLSS competitor atm.

Solid arguments, thanks.

Sometimes I use parsec or steam link to stream to the TV and i need to test the quality of that on the 6800 XT.

2 hours ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

Even that isn't really a solid thing either. Since AMD has an effective monopoly on console raytracing hardware, future games will be better optimized for it. Dirt 5 is a great example of a game that is starting with those optimizations, and the 6800 beats the 3090 by over 10% on it with raytracing because of it.

All existing games have only had Nvidia cards to use, now there is AMD. That means that older games are less likely to have any AMD related optimizations for raytracing.