I have motherboard that have WIFI - 5 but if I want to use wifi 6 is it possible

Chiranjeet Bhattacharya
1 minute ago, Chiranjeet Bhattacharya said:

I have motherboard that have WIFI - 5 but if I want to use wifi 6 is it possible

And you expect us to just magically know what mobo you have?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, WereCatf said:

And you expect us to just magically know what mobo you have?

No, I just forgets, I have Z390 chipset motherboard

1 minute ago, Chiranjeet Bhattacharya said:

No, I just forgets, I have Z390 chipset motherboard

Ok...so what is the manufacturer and model number? ASUS, GIGABYTE, MSI, etc all make motherboards with a Z390 chipset...

Just now, imreloadin said:

Ok...so what is the manufacturer and model number? ASUS, GIGABYTE, MSI, etc all make motherboards with a Z390 chipset...

Actually, my motherboard is damaged so I have to buy new motherboard 

Just now, Chiranjeet Bhattacharya said:

Actually, my motherboard is damaged so I have to buy new motherboard 

Then what is the manufacturer and model number of the motherboard you're looking at buying?

Really starting to think this is a troll topic...

Just now, imreloadin said:

Then what is the manufacturer and model number of the motherboard you're looking at buying?

Really starting to think this is a troll topic...

I already have 9900K so I think Asus Rog maximus xi series is pretty good

11 minutes ago, Chiranjeet Bhattacharya said:

I already have 9900K so I think Asus Rog maximus xi series is pretty good

I am going to assume you mean the Asus ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO (WIFI)

if you want something else, I am very certain you are going to need some kind of expansion card, dongle or external device

such as this:https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/Czdrxr/tp-link-archer-tx50e-pcie-x1-80211abgnacax-wi-fi-adapter-archer-tx50e

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

It DOESN'T MATTER what motherboard he has.

Yes, you can use WiFi 6 cards.

Simply ADD a WiFi 6 wireless card in one of the available pci-e slots, and you'll have two functioning wireless cards in your computer.

You can go in BIOS if you want and disable the onboard wireless card, to make it easier for you, so you'll only see the WiFi 6 wireless card in Control Panel.

On SOME motherboards, the wireless card is actually a miniPCIe or m.2 wireless card plugged into a tiny slot or connector by the IO shield.  In such case, you can often buy a WiFi 6 wireless card using that same connector and replace the existing card.

Your wording might be off for what your trying to figure out. Do you mean are you able to connect to a WiFi 6 router? Or do you want WiFi 6 speeds? 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

29 minutes ago, mariushm said:

It DOESN'T MATTER what motherboard he has.

Yes, you can use WiFi 6 cards.

Simply ADD a WiFi 6 wireless card in one of the available pci-e slots, and you'll have two functioning wireless cards in your computer.

You can go in BIOS if you want and disable the onboard wireless card, to make it easier for you, so you'll only see the WiFi 6 wireless card in Control Panel.

On SOME motherboards, the wireless card is actually a miniPCIe or m.2 wireless card plugged into a tiny slot or connector by the IO shield.  In such case, you can often buy a WiFi 6 wireless card using that same connector and replace the existing card.

Do I need both Wifi router and wifi card 

The wireless card just receives or sends signals to something.

SOMETHING must exist to send the signals to the wireless card. Therefore you need a wireless router, or access point, or something that would convert the internet coming from your ISP into radio waves.

If you want to get WiFi 6 performance and speed the router needs to be the same version (same protocol, at least the same number of antennas/channels) as your wireless card.

A WiFi 6 router should be able to communicate with WiFi 5 wireless cards, but at reduced speeds. Basically, backwards compatibility.

A lot of WiFi 6 cards may support some of the older WiFi 5 protocols, so your WiFi 6 may connect to your WiFi 5 router but at reduced speeds.

10 minutes ago, mariushm said:

The wireless card just receives or sends signals to something.

SOMETHING must exist to send the signals to the wireless card. Therefore you need a wireless router, or access point, or something that would convert the internet coming from your ISP into radio waves.

If you want to get WiFi 6 performance and speed the router needs to be the same version (same protocol, at least the same number of antennas/channels) as your wireless card.

A WiFi 6 router should be able to communicate with WiFi 5 wireless cards, but at reduced speeds. Basically, backwards compatibility.

A lot of WiFi 6 cards may support some of the older WiFi 5 protocols, so your WiFi 6 may connect to your WiFi 5 router but at reduced speeds.

If I use WIFI card and router both with WIFI-6 version will it work faster and flawlessly

20 minutes ago, Chiranjeet Bhattacharya said:

If I use WIFI card and router both with WIFI-6 version will it work faster and flawlessly

Nobody can guarantee that or give you a definite answer.

Will it work faster? Maybe.  

With it work flawlessly? Maybe.

The higher you go in frequencies and speeds, the more sensitive devices are to obstacles. If you're living in a building or house with lots of crap in walls, or thick walls, or your router will be far away from your wireless card, you may get worse speed compared to older standards.

On 5 ghz wifi 5, you will get higher speed compared to 2.4 ghz but it's more sensitive to obstacles and you get get higher pings which is worse for online games.  In comparison, on 2.4 ghz you get slower speed, but it could be more consistent, more reliable (better for online games where speed is less important, but consistency is better)

If your router is gonna be 1-2 meters from PC in the same room, then most likely the answer would be Yes to both.

BUT  .... if your internet is crap , wifi 6 won't make your internet speeds magically better.  Only the communication between the router and your computer  (and possibly other computers or phones or devices connected to the router) would be better.

Anyway, if you actually want to use Wifi6 ( the 802.11ax standard)  both your wireless card AND your router has to know to talk on that 802.11ax standard.  If your router is only wifi 5 (802.11ac standard) then the extra stuff on your wireless card will not be used, the card will work in the old WiFi 5 mode.