Outlets Voltages

This might be a stupid question but I just want to be sure.

Here in Asia the standard outlets are 220V or something and today I moved to a new apartment and the outlets say/marked as 16A 250V. That's a difference of 30V and I don't know what 16A is.

I just want to ask if it is safe to plug my Desktop PC in this outlet?

IMG_20201115_133848.jpg

It's most likely how much the outlet is capable of handling. There isn't a justifiable reason for there to be a 250V outlet.

2 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

It's most likely how much the outlet is capable of handling. There isn't a justifiable reason for there to be a 250V outlet.

I also tried searching in Panasonic's website and cant find anything about it.

But just in case, an AVR / UPS should be able to protect my PC from this right?

1 minute ago, KengKui said:

Your PSU should handle up to 240V no problem. And yes the AVR/UPS will be the one to die first before anything else. Also what kind of outlet is it?

11 minutes ago, KengKui said:

Found something similar to it. So it's not the actual output voltage, it's just how many volts and amps it can handle.

116869912_2668016946770659_3822043194341205847_o.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=2&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=sa3-xy9l8q0AX8RhZQ8&_nc_oc=AQlDWfeGOxy1isM82c-f9xQTyv0sXddTTN5CCMpJ5Pk_IJwOXlB8qLjxCBls4Pz_dHY&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&oh=192be8b0d153e3ed0d60ff11f09651c8&oe=5FD7B1C5

Correct, that is the rating of the receptacle itself and has nothing to do with what is actually there for voltage. 

Local voltages will vary and will even fluctuate from time to time.  

The outlets don't have a particular voltage.

250v just means  the metal contacts inside the outlets are wide enough, thick enough, that they can function with UP TO 250v and UP TO 16A on the contacts.

It also means that the plastic on the outlet is thick enough that it's safe for a human to touch it and electricity would not JUMP through the plastic and shock you.

Your mains electricity is 220v, but your country will have a tolerance, let's say something like -10%...+10%  and all electronic devices are designed to tolerate such variation, because your mains voltage will change throughout the day.

So, it's perfectly acceptable and allowed to measure something like 210v...240v on your mains outlet.

Again, voltage can change and changes through the day... for example, at midnight when most people stop using electricity, the voltage may go up a bit, while at 6-8 pm when everyone's at home watching TV or using washing machines, the high demand may cause the voltage to go down a bit.

As for current, the outlet is rated for 16A but the fuses inside your house may be configured to 10A or 16A or some value lower than 16A. If you use too much power, the fuse will protect your house by tripping.

If you consume more power than 16A, there's a risk the metal inside the outlet (the contacts, the screws the wires attach to in the outlet) can become too warm and the plastic of the outlet can deform or smoke and that causes safety concerns ... the plastic may break and then a kid may touch exposed metal bits and get electric shock.

-> Moved to Power Supplies

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

9 hours ago, KengKui said:

Here in Asia the standard outlets are 220V or something and today I moved to a new apartment and the outlets say/marked as 16A 250V.

the Mains are probably still 220v........ and any decent switching powersupply doesnt really care