CPU is hot but cooler cold

Lukakopa7

Hi! 

I've got ryzen 3 3300x with mid tower cooler-Arctic 34 co freezer applyed with Arctic mx4 termal paste. When CPU is idle is around 50C° and when it's under load it is around 80C°, but cooler and heatpipes stays cold. Problem is beacuse fans are getting vrey loud. I don't think it's normal on 65W CPU with 120TDP cooler. What sohoud i do? 

Thank you for suggestions. 

Plastic film under the CPU cooler is removed right?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

10 minutes ago, Lukakopa7 said:

When CPU is idle is around 50C° and when it's under load it is around 80C°,

That's fairly normal.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

That's a of tell-tale bad thermal paste application

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

1 minute ago, Jurrunio said:

Plastic film under the CPU cooler is removed right?

Yes of course

2 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

That's a of tell-tale bad thermal paste application

I did like it was written in the instructions. 

3 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

That's fairly normal.

But on load is cpu hot and cooler cold. 

See if the cpu is seated well and if the mounting pressure is adequate.  If everything is all right then maybe a repaste is needed.  Did you use enough paste ?   Did it spread correctly ? Also how hot is load temperature ? (that's probably the first question I should have asked)

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

Why didn't you just use the Wraith stealth cooler that came with the cpu? 

And if upgrading a wraith stealth, should look for the Wraith Prism. 

The stock coolers are designed to blow down on the board assisting in cooling other components like VRMs.

55 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Why didn't you just use the Wraith stealth cooler that came with the cpu? 

And if upgrading a wraith stealth, should look for the Wraith Prism. 

The stock coolers are designed to blow down on the board assisting in cooling other components like VRMs.

Because I want to overclock it and Wraith sealth wasnt enough.

1 hour ago, Dr0y said:

See if the cpu is seated well and if the mounting pressure is adequate.  If everything is all right then maybe a repaste is needed.  Did you use enough paste ?   Did it spread correctly ? Also how hot is load temperature ? (that's probably the first question I should have asked)

Load temperature is around 80C°. I already change the thermal paste and I think I did everything right.

Make sure standoffs is screwed in all the ways and is facing the correct way. (One side may be longer than the other)

image.png.9de4a844d383d89ced6c2a516c08e5a1.png

Check out video to make sure everything is ok: 

https://support.arctic.ac/index.php?p=freezer34co

image.png

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

12 minutes ago, Lukakopa7 said:

Load temperature is around 80C°. I already change the thermal paste and I think I did everything right.

80 is not that hot tho ... what kind of case do you have ?

I9 10850K

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

10 hours ago, Dr0y said:

80 is not that hot tho ... what kind of case do you have ?

I know 80C isnt that hot but 65 W CPU on 120TDP cooler? I have sharkoon VG6-W case. 

How old is your thermal paste?

If your CPU is hot, and the cooler is not, then the heat is not getting from the CPU to the cooler.

It's also not exactly comparing apples to apples to say you're putting a 120w TDP HSF on a 65w TDP CPU. I had an Intel i5 4440 rated for 86w, and upgraded it to a Xeon rated for 82w, but the stock cooler couldn't keep up with the Xeon, while it had no problem with the i5.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

1 hour ago, Lukakopa7 said:

I know 80C isnt that hot but 65 W CPU on 120TDP cooler? I have sharkoon VG6-W case. 

On a 40€ casei would not expect anything better on its cooling capacity or me the issue is the case

Well tdp numbers are not something that are that much reliable in the first place. 

It can be a lot of stuff if the cooler is not getting warm ... and I'm just throwing idea there :

Bad paste batch

Bad paste application (but I don't think so since it was reapplied several time I think)

Too old thermal paste maybe from staying too long in a warehouse

Contact that is not good enough from the cpu to the cooler due to a poorly machined surface of the cooler

Contact that is not good enough due to some low mounting pressure

Heatpipes that are not good enough/bad/damaged inside and can't transfer the heat properly

Stock thermal interface between the actual chip to the integrated heat spreader that is bad/not efficient enough

Too much stock voltage to the chip due to motherboard manufacturer tuning it strangely causing higher than normal temps (was reported by some reviewers (jay and steve from what I recall) on some motherboard, just don't remember which ones)

I9 10850K

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

14 hours ago, Dr0y said:

Well tdp numbers are not something that are that much reliable in the first place. 

It can be a lot of stuff if the cooler is not getting warm ... and I'm just throwing idea there :

Bad paste batch

Bad paste application (but I don't think so since it was reapplied several time I think)

Too old thermal paste maybe from staying too long in a warehouse

Contact that is not good enough from the cpu to the cooler due to a poorly machined surface of the cooler

Contact that is not good enough due to some low mounting pressure

Heatpipes that are not good enough/bad/damaged inside and can't transfer the heat properly

Stock thermal interface between the actual chip to the integrated heat spreader that is bad/not efficient enough

Too much stock voltage to the chip due to motherboard manufacturer tuning it strangely causing higher than normal temps (was reported by some reviewers (jay and steve from what I recall) on some motherboard, just don't remember which ones)

Thank you.

I checked everything and only possibile option are bad heat pipes. What shoud i do?

well buying another cooler would probably be the only thing to do there if it's one of the main element of the current cooler that is broken ... unless you want to try to take the cooler apart and change all the pipes which would most certainly be a terrible idea. 

cooler master hyper 212 evo or something like that is not that expensive and have a good reputation.

I personally have a noctua nh-u12s

I9 10850K

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

Are you using default motherboard settings?

Have you tried reseating the cooler and making sure that it was gradually and evenly tightened instead of one side before the other?

Moved to Cooling. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1. A cooler might be designed to work best with intel AHS, and you have AMD ihs

2. Ryzens have terrible heat density

3. cpu manufacturers lie about TDP, a 65W Ryzen 3600 pulls 90W in full core tasks

• 2 years later...

Ok, i had to update on this when a friend gave me the best solution ever to remove airbubbles...
He advised me to use a vibrator.. i mean.. massager... 

It went from 98 to 65 in 10 seconds.