1440p monitor MAINLY for netflix/youtube/story game watching, can't find any info after 100+ hours of research.

Slyceth
Go to solution Solved by Gaires,

Here you go, tweak to your heart's content. If you think I forgot something you can add it from the add column button.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tools/table/41108

Could somebody please help me? I'm having a massive headache finding any reviews that only look at 1440p monitors that are focused on media consumption, youtube, netflix, story-based casual gaming.
I stil want to have at least 120Hz+ refresh rate, but I don't care about the response times, I don't care about ghosting. I want the most beautiful, colorful experience. I never play anything competitive. My budget is around 600$-700$. I thought the Oddyssey G7 was a good choice, but listening to reviewers, they gave me migraines when they kept roving on about how it's decent for competitive gaming and I'm here sitting like OMG I DONT CARE.

3 minutes ago, Stygian Zenith said:

@SlycethThen don't look at gaming monitors.. SIMPLE

Where do I find reviews for 1440p non-gaming monitors??? Anything above 100Hz is considered a gaming monitor.

11 minutes ago, Slyceth said:

Where do I find reviews for 1440p non-gaming monitors??? Anything above 100Hz is considered a gaming monitor.

Rtings.com they have tons of reviews o. monitors and TVs for that matter. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

That's where I have been looking. They are still recommending the PG279Q which is over 5 years old, and claiming it is better for HDR gaming than the Dell S2721DGF so I doubt they're reliable.

@Smit Devrukhkar Could you help me out? What is the best quality movie monitor. 1440p. 120+Hz. 700$ budget.

I cant recommend any websites for reviews (though I have heard that rtings is good), but I can recommend the monitor I use. While I am sure that there are probably better options, I love my c32hg70. I do use it for competitive gaming, but it seems to meet all your requirements (especially colors because it is qled). If you would like smaller than 32", there is also a 27" version. When you look for reviews, you may see a lot that focus on the big version because it was one of or the only 49" ultrawide monitor at the time. But keep looking and reviews on the smaller ones should come up. 

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

4 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Alright so I have taken another look, according to them, the ASUS ROG Strix XG279Q is the very best scoring in "Multimedia 1440 144Hz". Obviously that cannot be true, since it's an IPS monitor. Multimedia profits from deeper blacks and better colors when it's a VA panel.

1 minute ago, zeusthemoose said:

I cant recommend any websites for reviews (though I have heard that rtings is good), but I can recommend the monitor I use. While I am sure that there are probably better options, I love my c32hg70. I do use it for competitive gaming, but it seems to meet all your requirements (especially colors because it is qled). If you would like smaller than 32", there is also a 27" version. When you look for reviews, you may see a lot that focus on the big version because it was one of or the only 49" ultrawide monitor at the time. But keep looking and reviews on the smaller ones should come up. 

I've seen that one pop up on monitorchart along with the L G 32GK650F-B, the only difference is that the LG has 4 ms response time compared to your 1 ms. Otherwise it seems to be the best panel. Considering I do not want good response times, I should get that LG one, would you agree?

2 minutes ago, Slyceth said:

I've seen that one pop up on monitorchart along with the L G 32GK650F-B, the only difference is that the LG has 4 ms response time compared to your 1 ms. Otherwise it seems to be the best panel. Considering I do not want good response times, I should get that LG one, would you agree?

From what I can see, the LG monitor does not have qled. But I am no monitor expert so I cannot say with certainty if qled has as big an effect on colors as the marketing has led me to believe.

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

2 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

From what I can see, the LG monitor does not have qled. But I am no monitor expert so I cannot say with certainty if qled has as big an effect on colors as the marketing has led me to believe.

It seems the Oddyssey G7 is a refresh of your c32hg70, making it better in every way. So why should I get that one over the S3220DGF and the CQ32G1 I've also been recommended?

25 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

According to Rtings the s3220dgf is one of the best ones, but it's only 350$. Are there no better ones that are closer to my 700$ budget?

21 minutes ago, Slyceth said:

So why should I get that one over the S3220DGF and the CQ32G1 I've also been recommended?

To be honest, I have never heard of either of those before, so I cannot say.

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

I've recommend the S3220DGF to people in the past, and in fact just recently my father wanted my advice on replacing his display, he just received the S3220DGF (cant use it till xmas though lol). I've seen it myself, checking it over after deliver, its a solid display. You can trust the rtings reviews.

If u dont care about ghosting or gaming then u certainly want a VA panel display for that contrast. The S3220DGF is realistically the only 'reviewed' VA panel thats worth going after if u want that quality image.

its original MSRP was $/£450, so the current price of ~ $/£350 is great.

IMO the only step up for movie watching from a S32200DGF is the 48" LG CX, which is over double ur budget.

See the below thread for more info on displays

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

6 hours ago, Slyceth said:

Multimedia profits from deeper blacks and better colors when it's a VA panel.

To my understanding IPS panels are better for color accuracy. Also I’ve read VA sits between TN and IPS in terms of colors. If your looking for deeper blacks the OLED is the way to go, but expensive. 

46 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

To my understanding IPS panels are better for color accuracy. Also I’ve read VA sits between TN and IPS in terms of colors. If your looking for deeper blacks the OLED is the way to go, but expensive. 

But how can a VA panel like the Samsung Odyssey G7 score lower than an IPS panel like the ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD when it comes to black uniformity?

6 hours ago, SolarNova said:

I've recommend the S3220DGF to people in the past, and in fact just recently my father wanted my advice on replacing his display, he just received the S3220DGF (cant use it till xmas though lol). I've seen it myself, checking it over after deliver, its a solid display. You can trust the rtings reviews.

If u dont care about ghosting or gaming then u certainly want a VA panel display for that contrast. The S3220DGF is realistically the only 'reviewed' VA panel thats worth going after if u want that quality image.

its original MSRP was $/£450, so the current price of ~ $/£350 is great.

IMO the only step up for movie watching from a S32200DGF is the 48" LG CX, which is over double ur budget.

See the below thread for more info on displays

Hey dude -

What do you recommend for gaming? I was told about a DELL one for 1440P 165Hz gaming, but it's an IPS panel, which can have issues with contrast and playing in the dark. Then VA is worse with colours but has a better contrast.. 

I'm streaming every day, many AAA games, to entertain people and to get a hang of games that others are unable to play or want to see before they buy. 

Check my profile for my ultimate rig! http://linustechtips.com/main/user/109708-shift/

1 hour ago, Slyceth said:

But how can a VA panel like the Samsung Odyssey G7 score lower than an IPS panel like the ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD when it comes to black uniformity?

BLB is purely a QA issue, some panels are made that come out having good low levels of BLB, some have high amounts. It doesnt matter if its VA, IPS, or TN. its just a manufacturing flaw.

Curved displays have a harder time dealing with BLB due to their curved nature, and this often results in 'flashlighting'.

A flat IPS display if it has no or little BLB, and has a suitably low amount of IPS glow can have a more uniform image, that doesnt mean however its black level will be as low as a VA panel.

39 minutes ago, SHiFT said:

Hey dude -

What do you recommend for gaming? I was told about a DELL one for 1440P 165Hz gaming, but it's an IPS panel, which can have issues with contrast and playing in the dark. Then VA is worse with colours but has a better contrast.. 

Indeed IPS do look worse in dark room environments due to their inherent glow.

The best VA panel gaming monitor is the Samsung Odyssey. It has its own issues but if u win tthe panel lottery its a solid display.

As mentioned in my Pinned thread, you have 3 panel types to choose from. The only type that has good contrast is VA, but its the slowest in regards to pixel response speed, which results in some amount of ghosting, with the notable exception of the Odyssey.

In regards to colors, a good VA is perfectly fine for non professionals, ur not going to notice it, and infact ur going to be more affect by factory calibration than the difference in 'potential' accuracy between VA and IPS.

TN has historically been the go to panel type for pure gaming but nowadays 'fast' IPS panels are just as good in regards to pixel response and have better colors and accuracy, as well as great viewing angles, but just like TN suffer from poor contrast, and have the unique 'issue' of IPS glow to deal with.

So the question is , how much does contrast actually matter to you ? What ur experience been like for monitors ? Do you know what ur current / past monitors had in terms of contrast ratio ?

because if ur used to ~1000:1 contrast then u can stick with an IPS and be happy. But if u want something better, more akin to ur average TV for example, then VA is the only way unless ur ok shelling out for a 48" OLED.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

6 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

Indeed IPS do look worse in dark room environments due to their inherent glow.

The best VA panel gaming monitor is the Samsung Odyssey. It has its own issues but if u win tthe panel lottery its a solid display.

As mentioned in my Pinned thread, you have 3 panel types to choose from. The only type that has good contrast is VA, but its the slowest in regards to pixel response speed, which results in some amount of ghosting, with the notable exception of the Odyssey.

In regards to colors, a good VA is perfectly fine for non professionals, ur not going to notice it, and infact ur going to be more affect by factory calibration than the difference in 'potential' accuracy between VA and IPS.

TN has historically been the go to panel type for pure gaming but nowadays 'fast' IPS panels are just as good in regards to pixel response and have better colors and accuracy, as well as great viewing angles, but just like TN suffer from poor contrast, and have the unique 'issue' of IPS glow to deal with.

So the question is , how much does contrast actually matter to you ? What ur experience been like for monitors ? Do you know what ur current / past monitors had in terms of contrast ratio ?

because if ur used to ~1000:1 contrast then u can stick with an IPS and be happy. But if u want something better, more akin to ur average TV for example, then VA is the only way unless ur ok shelling out for a 48" OLED.

I asked NO gaming. I mainly watch Netflix and youtube and barely do any casual gaming. Contrast does matter to me, but i also want color accuracy. Lots of people say the Odyssey is not worth it.

1 minute ago, Slyceth said:

I asked NO gaming. I mainly watch Netflix and youtube and barely do any casual gaming. Contrast does matter to me, but i also want color accuracy. Lots of people say the Odyssey is not worth it.

Was replying to SHiFT. hence the quote.

Just now, SolarNova said:

Was replying to SHiFT. hence the quote.

His post will def be deleted, he can't just come in on another thread that's specifically about NON-gaming monitors and ask about gaming monitors lol.. I'm not allowed to so why should he? He should start a new thread.

Either way, do you still recommend the Odyssey purely from a display standpoint? Or do you only recommend it for its 240 Hz?

22 minutes ago, Slyceth said:

Either way, do you still recommend the Odyssey purely from a display standpoint? Or do you only recommend it for its 240 Hz?

The Odyssey is great for those who want to seriously game AND want the contrast.

But it has a very noticeable 1000r curve which puts some people off, and ofc its alot more expensive.

If ur ok with the Curve (i'd think u'd usualy not want a curve , especially a 1000r curve, for watching content) , and ofc the price. Then sure get the Odyssey over the S3220. It is better. Its just not ~2x the price better imo.

1 hour ago, Slyceth said:

Because maybe it was a better panel from the start. Its like TN panels have color shift, BUT some models its less severe than others. IPS is known for IPS glow, but its going to be model to model on how bad it is. 

The fact is if you're set on a VA panel that narrows things down. Now just find the best VA panel you can find. Also dont just use Rtings.com, Rtings.com is great to narrow things down, but when you find a few models that you kinda like, look for other reviews like on Youtube. Also check out Amazon and Newegg reviews, I mostly look at 1 and 2 stars reviews, to see what issues people are having. 

At the end of the day your best bet would be to go a store and look at them with your own eyes. The issue with reviews is that every ones opinion is different.