When is Linus gonna notice about CSGO Frame cap 300fps?

AsrielDew128

In their video of intel Golden Sample
this one

I’ve got a lucky ticket… (youtube.com)

They decided to check FPS for CSGO, the problem is, Source Engine has a default frame caps of 400. Hence why you never seen fps result for that game going over 300

The counter that shows it overflowing to higher than 300, almost reaching 400, is most likely a miscalculation. Because in default, all source games by Valve, has fps_max set to 300

So no matter how powerful their hardware can be, they be limited to 300fps.

The command "fps_max"  isn't even cheat protected, so anybody can use it.

You can go ahead and try it for yourself. Go to any source games, HL2, TF2, or even CSS, go to the console, type in "fps_max 600"

If your hardware is powerful enough, it can hit that number or almost.

You should maybe comment that on the video

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

3 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

They probably already know about the frame cap. Their results are way above 400fps anyways so they're most likely running uncapped.

image.thumb.png.4afb1b3afb2d246ad34461dd04e8701e.png

Oh wow, you're right. I thought they didn't. Because in the video, they didn't show or tell that they uncapped the frame rate. Heck, that results doesn't even put a disclaimer saying "Uncapped using console commands" or something similar.

mostly the fact that, in the vid. He says  at 10:13 "I'm pretty sure that's more performence, We're seeing anywhere from 370 to 380, I'm even touching 390 fps."

And I thought "Did they not know about Frame caps?

Wouldn't their scores have been ~300 if they hadn't unlocked it?

Yawn and why does this matter? I don't understand why Gamers gripe about whatever game(s) being Capped or unable to reach some really high FPS when said Game plays at well over 100fps...

6 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Yawn and why does this matter? I don't understand why Gamers gripe about whatever game(s) being Capped or unable to reach some really high FPS when said Game plays at well over 100fps...

some people really love to see that green number on the top right of their screen flash a fancy 240 hz+

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

Just now, eeeee1 said:

some people really love to see that green number on the top right of their screen flash a fancy 240 hz+

Bu who can tell any diffence between 120fps vs 240fps? And Hz is not the same as fps...

Just now, whm1974 said:

Bu who can tell any diffence between 120fps vs 240fps? And Hz is not the same as fps...

fair point and yes i know its not the same. the thing is (and it has been proved time and time again) there is little difference between 144 and 240 fps. but as i said. some people just REALLY REALLY like to see high fps on their counter. i know i do

PC specs:

Corsair H100i platinum

RTX 2060

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

2 minutes ago, eeeee1 said:

fair point and yes i know its not the same. the thing is (and it has been proved time and time again) there is little difference between 144 and 240 fps. but as i said. some people just REALLY REALLY like to see high fps on their counter. i know i do

I'm more into turn based combat myself. So other then having a playable FPS, it quickly becomes pointless.

7 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

I'm more into turn based combat myself. So other then having a playable FPS, it quickly becomes pointless.

then that is from your perspective not others. if a gamer doesnt need more than 8 cores then that doesn't mean that professional media creation/editors dont need more than 32

PC specs:

Corsair H100i platinum

RTX 2060

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

16 minutes ago, eeeee1 said:

then that is from your perspective not others. if a gamer doesnt need more than 8 cores then that doesn't mean that professional media creation/editors dont need more than 32

Well I do playing around with DAZ3D sometimes.

27 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

I used to love playing Utopia, even got into some really good clans. Havent played it in a long time.

I play simple basic games now, not into buying $20+ games.

37 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

me...

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

5 hours ago, EricX2 said:

actually no. If they unlocked it, it would show the results in that chart, which is around or over 600fps

You get a GTX1080 and RTX2090 and run CSGO, both capped at 300fps.

You automatically assume it was CPU bottleneck. BUT!!! Because of the framecap, it doesn't even use the CPU fullest.

58 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

that's not the point I was trying to make

I'm just saying, it urks me in the wrong way that Linus just straight up says "oooh, I feel like it has more performance"

When it doesn't at all when the game capped

Compare two GPUs like an GTX1080 and RTX2090

They both reach 300fps~, you would assume it's CPU bottleneck. But when check the CPU, it's not utilizing to the fullest.

5 hours ago, EricX2 said:

Yes, Linus didn't unlock the framecap. His team did, somebody in his team did uncapped the framerate. Linus has no idea about the framecap at all. We even see that evident in the video I linked

31 minutes ago, AsrielDew128 said:

Yes, Linus didn't unlock the framecap. His team did, somebody in his team did uncapped the framerate. Linus has no idea about the framecap at all. We even see that evident in the video I linked

I didn't know about CSGO having a Frame Cap to begin. And come to think of it, why would this matter anyway? The Game is quite fast on modern low end hardware.

36 minutes ago, AsrielDew128 said:

#LIENUS

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

4 minutes ago, Spotty said:

i thought this was gonna link to a jeff the killer shock site. am i the only one?

PC specs:

Corsair H100i platinum

RTX 2060

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

11 minutes ago, Spotty said:

This is the best thing Im going to see all day.  I may as well log off the forum now and go to bed.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

21 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

I didn't know about CSGO having a Frame Cap to begin. And come to think of it, why would this matter anyway? The Game is quite fast on modern low end hardware.

All Source Engine game have default framecaps of 300~

And it does matter for a tech reviewer. Because you wanna test out performance of your game. 

1 minute ago, AsrielDew128 said:

All Source Engine game have default framecaps of 300~

And it does matter for a tech reviewer. Because you wanna test out performance of your game. 

Unless Valve puts out a new Game with an enhanced and highly improved Source Engine, I'm not sure I would even bother. After all what the point of reviewing Expensive High End Hardware using games that run and run well on anything?

1 hour ago, whm1974 said:

Unless Valve puts out a new Game with an enhanced and highly improved Source Engine, I'm not sure I would even bother. After all what the point of reviewing Expensive High End Hardware using games that run and run well on anything?

Because a lot of people play e-Sports titles, I know these kind of high-end hardware isn't gonna break a sweat running a game that could be run on a potato-tier machine buts its still a useful data point for comparison purposes being as so many people play these games. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

CS:GO has a 400fps frame rate cap by default, no? I know every other Source game is capped at 300fps by default, but I think they changed the way CS handles it more recently.

Also it seems that LTT does know that Source games tap out at that by default... which is why their results go well above that.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.