Newbie question about 2x 8pin

KingInTheNorthNL

Hello, long time LTT viewer first time poster here,

I recently purchased an RTX 3070 from MSI (the Ventus 2x OC) that requires 2x8 pin connectors. Now I am slightly confused as to what I need to use. I have two 6+2 pin cables that both have an extra 6+2 pin on them (so one cable has 2x8 pins in total and I have two of those cables). Should I plug in both connectors from one singular cable or do I need to plug two seperate cables into my PSU instead and feed one 8pin from each into my GPU? Or does it not matter at all?

The reason I'm asking is that I managed to fry a GPU before and I can't afford another one lol.

In case this is relevant, my PSU is a Corsair TX750M semi-modular.

Sorry if this has been asked before, I tried googling but got conflicting results so I'm hoping this forum can give me a definitive answer.

Thanks in advance for answering, I'm really worried about frying my new GPU lol.

Edit: so I have two of these cables (see photo)

thumbnail_20201110_135620.jpg

Edited by KingInTheNorthNL
added photo

6+2=8pin, you're good. (and this is normal for any PSU)

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

4 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

I'm sorry to clarify, my GPU needs 2x8 pin not just one :) and my question is can I use one cable (it has 2x8 pins coming from one cable) or do I need to use 2 seperate cables?

I'm sorry it's kinda hard to explain for me, so I'll try putting it differently. I currently have one PCIe power cable coming from my PSU that has two 8 pin connectors on it. Can I just plug in both of those 8pins from the one cable OR does it need to be 2 different cables entirely? Sorry if it's confusing, I'm trying lol.

Edited by KingInTheNorthNL
Clarification (hopefully)

4 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

Yeah except the 3070 has 2 8pin connectors. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

90 percent sure that there is no difference between either choice. AFAIK one cable should be able to handle it but might as well plug seperate cables in it for insurance

1 minute ago, GoldenAce said:

90 percent sure that there is no difference between either choice. AFAIK one cable should be able to handle it but might as well plug seperate cables in it for insurance

So would there be no risk if I plug in two cables of frying my card due to too much power going into it or anything like that?

1 minute ago, KingInTheNorthNL said:

So would there be no risk if I plug in two cables of frying my card due to too much power going into it or anything like that?

Nope. The wires will only provide however much power the card wants to draw

2 minutes ago, KingInTheNorthNL said:

I think 2 cables would be actually the safer method generally, but in the end it depends on what the the manufacturer says... It all depends on the power draw and how the cables and the connector of the psu are rated basically. So 2 cables will have less load to deal with, in theory. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

I think 2 cables would be actually the safer method generally, but in the end it depends on what the the manufacturer says... It all depends on the power draw and how the cables and the connector of the psu are rated basically. So 2 cables will have less load to deal with, in theory. 

Exactly what I was thinking. There is no inherent disadvantage to plugging in two cables and each cable will theoretically have less power to deal with, so may as well go for it

5 minutes ago, GoldenAce said:

Nope. The wires will only provide however much power the card wants to draw

3 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

1 minute ago, GoldenAce said:

Exactly what I was thinking. There is no inherent disadvantage to plugging in two cables and each cable will theoretically have less power to deal with, so may as well go for it

Thanks for helping me out. I'll go through the manual once again and if I don't find anything that says otherwise, I'm going for the double cable approach. Thanks for your answers :)

Update: since I installed the GPU (using the 2 cable method mentioned above) my motherboard beeps 4 times rapidly on startup. It's a Gigabyte board. Everything seems to function properly, the PC starts up fine and I can play games and run 3Dmark TimeSpy with no issues.

Should I be worried about the beeps? They weren't there before.