Do you think that this machine could play Youtube 4k 60fps?

Hello! so, I have this Dell Precision m6600 with the i7-2860qm and the quadro 3000m, do you think that I could watch youtube videos at 4k 60fps with this?

Thank you in advance

It might be able to do YouTube in 4K, but I expect the Quadro 3000m to struggle a little, you can try it anyway, even with a 1080p display to see for yourself

. Untitled.png.3e7f3b435d5a7deb6216ccda89a51708.png

13 minutes ago, DanWhite said:

Hello! so, I have this Dell Precision m6600 with the i7-2860qm and the quadro 3000m, do you think that I could watch youtube videos at 4k 60fps with this?

Thank you in advance

A quick Google of those specs says that it shouldn't really have an issue, especially since Youtube 4K isn't true 4K anyway. It might not be buttery smooth but should be watchable...give it a shot and see what it looks like.

Just now, AndreiArgeanu said:

It might be able to do YouTube in 4K, but I expect the Quadro 3000m to struggle a little, you can try it anyway, even with a 1080p display to see for yourself

. Untitled.png.3e7f3b435d5a7deb6216ccda89a51708.png

Well, this post is just an experiment because, to my surpirse, even with the quadro doing almost nothing, I can play for all kind of 4k 60fps videos on youtube full screen without cuts. I just wanted to see what you guys respond

2 minutes ago, Stylized_Violence said:

A quick Google of those specs says that it shouldn't really have an issue, especially since Youtube 4K isn't true 4K anyway. It might not be buttery smooth but should be watchable...give it a shot and see what it looks like.

Why isn't 4k tho? and even if I think it shouldn't be, it is, I just discovered that this machine plays 4k 60fps on full screen without struggles, even with the quadro doing almost nothing. I just wanted to see what do you guys would guess, and would thought just the same if I hadn't tried it

1 minute ago, Dawson Wehage said:

Yes it should play just fine.

But it shouldn't be more demanding to play 4k 60fps? or is the 2860qm that good? for an old cpu I mean

4 minutes ago, DanWhite said:

or is the 2860qm that good?

It is a good cpu with half decent cooling, 4 cores 8 thread, at up to 3.6ghz. The thing that is letting your system down is definitely the Quadro.

5 minutes ago, DanWhite said:

But it shouldn't be more demanding to play 4k 60fps? or is the 2860qm that good? for an old cpu I mean

It'll do the job.

The geek himself.

1 minute ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

It is a good cpu with half decent cooling, 4 cores 8 thread, at up to 3.6ghz. The thing that is letting your system down is definitely the Quadro.

Yeah but I am scared of upgrading the GPU because it has to ship from the USA to south america or from China and I'm not sure if it will work without problems so

3 minutes ago, DanWhite said:

Yeah but I am scared of upgrading the GPU because it has to ship from the USA to south america or from China and I'm not sure if it will work without problems so

Understandable, you might just be better off picking up a cheap external GPU enclosure and adding your own gpu to be honest. Of course, if your laptop can connect to one of these. Some have express cards, some mini pci-e and so on.

image.png.feabd521a0666f4c1ba340f1e06c5709.png

8 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Understandable, you might just be better off picking up a cheap external GPU enclosure and adding your own gpu to be honest. Of course, if your laptop can connect to one of these. Some have express cards, some mini pci-e and so on.

image.png.feabd521a0666f4c1ba340f1e06c5709.png

But can't you connect a eGPU directly to the laptop though? it seems that I will not be able to find something like you have mentioned, or maybe, if you could give me more examples. 

I am a spanish speaking person, I'm from Uruguay. Thanks for your understanding.

3 minutes ago, DanWhite said:

But can't you connect a eGPU directly to the laptop though? it seems that I will not be able to find something like you have mentioned, or maybe, if you could give me more examples. 

You can connect an eGPU to a laptop even if it doesn't have thunderbolt. Some use the PCIe port where the WiFi card would be, or use the express card on some older laptops.

How to Setup eGPU on Lenovo Laptop - EXP GDC (NGFF Version) GUIDE

image.png.5ac533e41f47ed3efe690749380c5f6c.png

2 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

You can connect an eGPU to a laptop even if it doesn't have thunderbolt. Some use the PCIe port where the WiFi card would be, or use the express card on some older laptops.

How to Setup eGPU on Lenovo Laptop - EXP GDC (NGFF Version) GUIDE

image.png.5ac533e41f47ed3efe690749380c5f6c.png

Then I could do that right? is there some kind of inconvenient doing it this way?

Just now, DanWhite said:

Then I could do that right? is there some kind of inconvenient doing it this way?

Well your laptop won't be as mobile when connected to everything. But as long as it's done properly you shouldn't encounter issues.

3 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Well your laptop won't be as mobile when connected to everything. But as long as it's done properly you shouldn't encounter issues.

I do not need mobility anyway so it is perfectly. What do you mean as long as it's done properly? you just do not have to connect the things to their corresponding place and so?

Just now, DanWhite said:

I do not need mobility anyway so it is perfectly. What do you mean as long as it's done properly? you just do not have to connect the things to their corresponding place and so?

As in everything is plugged in correctly, and the laptop is configured properly with drivers and what not.

7 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

sorry if maybe I confuse you, I don't speak english 100% properly

Just now, AndreiArgeanu said:

As in everything is plugged in correctly, and the laptop is configured properly with drivers and what not.

I see I see. And with eGPU compatibility or something like that is not an issue right? I can put in almost any card and it should work right?

1 minute ago, DanWhite said:

I see I see. And with eGPU compatibility or something like that is not an issue right? I can put in almost any card and it should work right?

Technically, but I wouldn't suggest going too far because the connection to the laptop is not that fast and anything past a GPU like a GTX 1050 or 1060 won't bring a big difference in performance.

1 minute ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Technically, but I wouldn't suggest going too far because the connection to the laptop is not that fast and anything past a GPU like a GTX 1050 or 1060 won't bring a big difference in performance.

Alright I understand, and what would you say could be the minimum I can get? the card with the minimum cost that is worth it to get I mean, I'm not looking to spend that much money actually, just the necessary to make a difference

Just now, DanWhite said:

Alright I understand, and what would you say could be the minimum I can get? the card with the minimum cost that is worth it to get I mean, I'm not looking to spend that much money actually, just the necessary to make a difference

Anything to be honest, the Quadro 3000M is comparable to Intel HD630. It also depends on what games you want to play, but generally speaking something like a GTX 750ti or GTX 950 are pretty solid cheap cards.

2 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Anything to be honest, the Quadro 3000M is comparable to Intel HD630. It also depends on what games you want to play, but generally speaking something like a GTX 750ti or GTX 950 are pretty solid cheap cards.

Ah that ones I see, I asked because I have not that much experience to be sure on which one to pick. And what does it mean that the connection will be not that fast? what will it cause? sorry if too many questions

-> Moved to Laptops and Pre-Build Systems

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv