OLED 144Hz or non-OLED 240Hz

Louie Friesen

OLED 144Hz or non-OLED 240Hz?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. OLED 144Hz or non-OLED 240Hz?

• OLED 144Hz
    • Non-OLED 240Hz

Hi there, I'm thinking of buying a new gaming laptop, and am wondering if OLED 144Hz is worth the extra $70 over a non-OLED 240Hz panel. They are both IPS, and 1080p, just that one is OLED and 144Hz, and the other one is not OLED but is 240Hz.

BTW, the laptop that I'm thinking of buying has an RTX 2070 Super Max-Q.

the answer depends on what you want to do with it and other specifications of both monitors. 

with the most minimal information that you have given, it's really hard to decide. 

35 minutes ago, Louie Friesen said:

BTW, the laptop that I'm thinking of buying has an RTX 2070 Super Max-Q.

That's garbage,low quality silicon that didn't pass quality assurance for desktops.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

On 11/6/2020 at 8:34 PM, Vishera said:

That's garbage, low quality silicon that didn't pass quality assurance for desktops.

It's actually a version that is meant for slimmer laptops (I want a slimmer one).

There is not much of a performance version of the mobile 2070 Super Max-Q vs the regular mobile 2070 Super.

On 11/6/2020 at 8:11 PM, The_Vaccine said:

the answer depends on what you want to do with it and other specifications of both monitors. 

with the most minimal information that you have given, it's really hard to decide. 

Both monitors are literally identical (exact same specs), just that one is 144hz OLED and the other is not OLED and 240Hz.

I mainly play simulation games and don't play FPS games, so I'm leaning more towards the OLED.

4 hours ago, The_Vaccine said:

@Vishera bruh that got debunked a while ago. Max-q is great

My desktop GTX 1660 easily beats that GPU...

The RTX 2070 Super Max-Q is an overpriced garbage.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

So i few in accuracy to fix here.

1) they are not both IPS if one is OLED. One is OLED and one is IPS.

2)Both monitors are not identical. Their specs may be the same or similar but if one is OLED and the other not, then the panels are completely different, with completely different capabilities.

3) regardless of what type of content u play, be it competitive FPS or non competitive rpgs, a 144hz OLED will have clearer motion than a 240hz LCD (IPS).

Basically, get the OLED. Just make sure u understand that OLEDs can suffer 'burn in', so take steps to alter ur habitual usage accordingly.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

1 hour ago, Vishera said:

My desktop GTX 1660 easily beats that GPU...

The RTX 2070 Super Max-Q is an overpriced garbage.

its overpriced, but its not bad. Just a downclocked 2070super laptop variant to keep temps down for super thin laptops. shady marketing but not a bad product. if you really want to keep this conversation going, move this to something other than a monitor conversation

12 hours ago, SolarNova said:

So i few in accuracy to fix here.

1) they are not both IPS if one is OLED. One is OLED and one is IPS.

2)Both monitors are not identical. Their specs may be the same or similar but if one is OLED and the other not, then the panels are completely different, with completely different capabilities.

3) regardless of what type of content u play, be it competitive FPS or non competitive rpgs, a 144hz OLED will have clearer motion than a 240hz LCD (IPS).

Basically, get the OLED. Just make sure u understand that OLEDs can suffer 'burn in', so take steps to alter ur habitual usage accordingly.

On Newegg, it said that both are IPS.

Are there OLED burn-in "remover" (so I don't freak out if I noticed burn-in) programs that you would recommend (do they even exist)?

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Productcompare?CompareItemList=34-233-313%2C34-233-365

13 hours ago, Louie Friesen said:

On Newegg, it said that both are IPS.

Are there OLED burn-in "remover" (so I don't freak out if I noticed burn-in) programs that you would recommend (do they even exist)?

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Productcompare?CompareItemList=34-233-313%2C34-233-365

Then why did u say one was OLED ?

Am i missing something here ?

If they are both IPS panels then with the only difference being 144hz vs 240hz 1080p, then its entirly up to you, i'd hazard to guess the 240hz one would have better pixel response , but thats pure guesswork as their are no reviewers of laptop displays.

As for OLED 'bun in' removers ..not that it matters anymore since thsoe are IPS displays ...but No ..no such thing as a burn in remover. If u  get burn-in ..its burnt in. Hence the name. Temporary image retention, by its name is temporary and goes away after 2-10 minutes of normal use.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

once OLED is burned in, you cannot "undo" that. its a permanent thing that happens in the nature of OLED. there are ways to reduce its effect but it is impossible to stop. thats why OLED monitors are rare. there are many static elements on a desktop like the taskbar, icons, static wallpapers etc, that burn in is significantly more prone compared to TVs. TVs have their content change pretty much all the time so its not much of a concern. The brighter the static element, the faster burn in will set in. RTINGS has a really good 1-year stress test with OLED TVs. 

11 hours ago, SolarNova said:

Then why did u say one was OLED ?

Am i missing something here ?

If they are both IPS panels then with the only difference being 144hz vs 240hz 1080p, then its entirly up to you, i'd hazard to guess the 240hz one would have better pixel response , but thats pure guesswork as their are no reviewers of laptop displays.

As for OLED 'bun in' removers ..not that it matters anymore since thsoe are IPS displays ...but No ..no such thing as a burn in remover. If u  get burn-in ..its burnt in. Hence the name. Temporary image retention, by its name is temporary and goes away after 2-10 minutes of normal use.

Click on each laptop and view the page. One clearly says "Aero 15" and the other clearly says "Aero 15 OLED"

1 hour ago, The_Vaccine said:

once OLED is burned in, you cannot "undo" that. its a permanent thing that happens in the nature of OLED. there are ways to reduce its effect but it is impossible to stop. thats why OLED monitors are rare. there are many static elements on a desktop like the taskbar, icons, static wallpapers etc, that burn in is significantly more prone compared to TVs. TVs have their content change pretty much all the time so its not much of a concern. The brighter the static element, the faster burn in will set in. RTINGS has a really good 1-year stress test with OLED TVs. 

Thanks.

9 hours ago, Louie Friesen said:

Click on each laptop and view the page. One clearly says "Aero 15" and the other clearly says "Aero 15 OLED"

Oh i see, you mean the IMAGE being used says OLED on the screen of one of them. Is that it ?

Dont go by the image, Its not uncommon for images to be inaccurate.

You should only ever go by the written information.

If ur at all concerned, contact them, and ask.