Guys... I don't know what I'll do with my life.

Cy-Fy

Okay first of all it's not as bad as the title makes it look.

I have no idea what to study in university. I always loved technology but also taking stuff apart and working with tools with my dad so the first thing I thought since I was a kid was mechanical engineering since I also love maths and physics. However as time went on I started to realise that engineers don't always do what I liked to do, but instead they sit in front of computers reading and analysing data. That made me feel a bit worried, and after watching the movie The Internship I gotta be honest with you, I felt a little not pleased with mechanical engineer.

So then I looked into computer science/engineering etc and tbh guys it is not what I think I will enjoy the most even though I love technology hardware.

So that's where I'm at now guys. I want to create cool stuff without being an artist, but still stand out from the crowd for being intellectual and good thinker. Also I'm a bit worried about jobs because I would love to work for companies that make their employees feel good, like google, but I just don't seem to find something that makes me feel really excited.

So well guys what do you think honestly?? Thanks for your hel and support :P

500th post btw!!!!

Dell XPS 15 9560 - Nikon Z5 - Galaxy S10+

Get a job at Best Buy, then blow up the Experiences with Non-Techies thread.

But, in all seriousness, I would try to get a job at NCIX or something like that, since then you can get an idea of that field, and see where you want to go from there.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I think you need to find something you love to do.  Money is always nice, but no amount will make you happy every day at your job.

You could always be a technician or something of the like.  They're a lot more hands on and you might be more interested.

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

I would love to work for companies that make their employees feel good, like google,

A friend of a friend worked at Google for a couple years and he said it was hell, but I don't remember any specifics of why sorry. As for classes just sit in on a class that sounds interesting to you and see if you like it.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Get high a lotttttttttt and claim to of invented everything then die of cancer at a young age.

47126330.jpg

You should be banned for life.

A friend of a friend worked at Google for a couple years and he said it was hell, but I don't remember any specifics of why sorry. As for classes just sit in on a class that sounds interesting to you and see if you like it.

oh wow then I really have no idea what to study at uni

You should be banned for life.

They tried oh so hard to ban me way back in dem days, but I learned my lesson and now i'm a model citizen. 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

I would imagine mechanical engineering/computer enginering majors could fill a wide number of positions, some of which would be more hands-on than others (can't say I know for sure, though). Some colleges have started to offer Robotics Engineering majors, or something similar. I'd also imagine that's a major that can afford careers with more hands-on work.

Like somebody else said, technician positions are usually pretty involved, but just keep in mind that the pay probably won't be as good as an engineering position.

oh wow then I really have no idea what to study at uni

I think it's something like 75% of College students change there major in their second to third year so it's normal not to know what you want to do.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Im in the exact same boat as you man. I love tech but cant math well, I tried computer science and pretty much died halfway though the term. Im trying out film right now because in highschool I did a lot of theater tech. I would recommend looking into those. They can be pretty tech intensive which is fun as hell. But in uni especially thye will expect you to be the jack of all trades and be creatively productive. I guess that is just more to get a broader scope before you specialize though.

bla bla bla

bla bla bla....

blabla bla WHAT?! bit worried about jobs because I would love to work for companies that make their employees feel good, like google, but I just don't seem to find something that makes me feel really excited.

bla bla bla.. ohh look a :P

first of google is a company that is ok, but the people that  work there are willing to kill you for a better position, not eaven asking WHY. and only people that have a "gift" go on working on stuf...

Okay first of all it's not as bad as the title makes it look.

I have no idea what to study in university. I always loved technology but also taking stuff apart and working with tools with my dad so the first thing I thought since I was a kid was mechanical engineering since I also love maths and physics. However as time went on I started to realise that engineers don't always do what I liked to do, but instead they sit in front of computers reading and analysing data. That made me feel a bit worried, and after watching the movie The Internship I gotta be honest with you, I felt a little not pleased with mechanical engineer.

So then I looked into computer science/engineering etc and tbh guys it is not what I think I will enjoy the most even though I love technology hardware.

So that's where I'm at now guys. I want to create cool stuff without being an artist, but still stand out from the crowd for being intellectual and good thinker. Also I'm a bit worried about jobs because I would love to work for companies that make their employees feel good, like google, but I just don't seem to find something that makes me feel really excited.

So well guys what do you think honestly?? Thanks for your hel and support :P

I'm going into television production hopefully =3

I love the technical side of it a ton and the technology as well, but I'm not good enough at maths etc. for stuff like computer engineering perhaps thinking about a field like that, perhaps less creative for you, but something that you think would be REALLY fun and technical, as you are :)

Im in the exact same boat as you man. I love tech but cant math well, I tried computer science and pretty much died halfway though the term. Im trying out film right now because in highschool I did a lot of theater tech. I would recommend looking into those. They can be pretty tech intensive which is fun as hell. But in uni especially thye will expect you to be the jack of all trades and be creatively productive. I guess that is just more to get a broader scope before you specialize though.

same to you ;) around the same

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

I'm going into television production hopefully =3

I love the technical side of it a ton and the technology as well, but I'm not good enough at maths etc. for stuff like computer engineering perhaps thinking about a field like that, perhaps less creative for you, but something that you think would be REALLY fun and technical, as you are :)

same to you ;) around the same

thanks man I'll consider every option people pitch at me right now :)

Does anybody else have any idea on what would be a good career to study at uni???

I would try and get an internship in these things that you are interested in. That in my mind is the best way to find out if you are going to enjoy something or not. Just go ask around or see if someone you know has some hook ups at some company's that may be able to get you an internship.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Yeah even though he is 15 he should still think about it. As the years go on you might change your mind quite a bit. Find what interests you. if you like computers but want more hands on phsically then check out networking, you get to work with hardware all the time and you can get good fun jobs. Go for your 2 year networking degree then its only another 2 years for your computer science bachelor if you decide to go that way.

"All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again."

"What we do in life echos in eternity."

"One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple." - Kerouac

You are 15 years old you have time... don't worry about it .

yeah I know the thing is that in my school I need to choose in a year the 4 subjects that I'm going to do for 2 years. I'm in the UK so the last 2 years of school you only study 4 subjects so they need to be related to what you want to study...

Yeah even though he is 15 he should still think about it. As the years go on you might change your mind quite a bit. Find what interests you. if you like computers but want more hands on phsically then check out networking, you get to work with hardware all the time and you can get good fun jobs. Go for your 2 year networking degree then its only another 2 years for your computer science bachelor if you decide to go that way.

thanks for the help man!

Yes, engineering is math, toil, blood and sweat. OK, maybe not all of that :P . But yes, a lot of math, graphs, physics, computer work... Maybe a design job would give you the most freedom in your work. Don't universities in your country have information days for prospective students? Go have a look if you can, it doesn't matter how old you are, just go, they might be able to convince you. 

HOWEVER

At least here in Slovenia, first 2-3 years of engineering courses consist of mathematical subjects, theory, measurements... nothing of waht you actually applied for. But later things get interesting. If you get in an electronics course, you'll get advanced circuit design only in 4th year. Same holds true for the mechanical engineering course.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Try programming :)

[ Cruel Angel ]:     Exterior  -   BENQ XL2420T   |   SteelSeries MLG Sensei   |   Corsair K70 RED   |   Corsair 900D  |                                                                                                    CPU:    -   4.7Ghz @ 1.425v             |

Interior    -   i7 4770k   |    Maximus VI Formula    |   Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB    |   ASUS GTX 980 Strix SLIx2  |  840 Pro 512Gb    |    WD Black 2TB  |           RAM:   -   2400Mhz OC @ 1.650v    |

Cooling   -   XSPC 120mm x7 Total Radiator Space   |   XSPC RayStorm    |    PrimoChill Tubing/Res  |                                                                                             GPU:   -   1000Mhz @ 1.158            |

Try programming :)

+1. Try it, look up free tutorials online and see if you like it. I'll be honest, it's pretty hard, specially when you start but if you're into problem solving the satisfaction of finishing something is unmatched.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

How about a network engineer. I have a number of friends who work at big companies designing and implementing wired and wireless networks. You get to choose communication components and work on building a reliable, fast network. You will need to study computer science to work as a network engineer.

Mechanical engineering is such a broad category.  You could end up anywhere from sitting in a small dumpy factory designing a new hinge for a van seat or you could go towards working on F1 cars or many many many things.  What I would suggest is look into the different specialties you could do within the field while at university and aim towards something that would interest you (if something does).  Talk to some engineers,  or get in contact with the dept chair at a university and ask questions,  look at curriculum etc.  

Same goes for computer science,  electrical engineering etc.  Lots of variances so you gotta do some research.  

How about a network engineer. I have a number of friends who work at big companies designing and implementing wired and wireless networks. You get to choose communication components and work on building a reliable, fast network. You will need to study computer science to work as a network engineer.

Computer science is not network engineering.  Comp sci majors are taking roads to development,  code monkeys.  If you wanna be a router jockey you will want to look at MIS specializing in networking and in specific you will need to be very careful on where you go to school and will want to find a school where that networking program actually tracks you towards high level industry certs,  CCNP or CCIE,  security and so forth that way when you get out you not only have your bachelors degree but you have industry certs to show you can get to work right away.  The certs will get you a job,  the bachelors will get you to management later in your career.  

yeah I know the thing is that in my school I need to choose in a year the 4 subjects that I'm going to do for 2 years. I'm in the UK so the last 2 years of school you only study 4 subjects so they need to be related to what you want to study...

thanks for the help man!

You're gonna have to poke around and really find what interests you. Maybe find some people who are working in the fields that you are thinking of, and ask to shadow them for a day or two to see how things actually are, and to get their perspective. Remember too that it might take some time to find where you really want to go. I'm in my early 20's and already moving onto my third career direction (started with a year of university, few years of trade-type work, and now headed back to university).

The best thing is to be honest with yourself with what you want. Your career is exactly that, yours, so don't go directions that you don't want to. Money is one thing, but happiness is a bigger thing. One of the biggest factors I've found in career-related happiness is job satisfaction. Are you headed to a place where you are/can be satisfied with the work you've done? If not, change your direction. That's exactly what I'm doing now.

I can't recommend any specific jobs, as I'm not up to date on that area, but if you can find the thing you're passionate about and get there, you're set!

Good luck!

Never say it's not broken. Everything is broken. Why? Because everything needs MOAR POWA!