NVIDIA announced 800M series mobile GPUs!

hawaiims

Three years ago, the typical notebook that used the company’s flagship notebook GPU to achieve playable frame rates with AAA games at a resolution of 1920 by 1080 pixels had to be two inches thick. Today, a notebook using Nvidia’s GeForce GTX 850M can be as thin as 0.82 inches, and it will play games at that resolution 30 percent faster.

Unfortunately the most powerful of Nvidia’s new GPUs—the GeForce GTX 880M and the GeForce GTX 870M—are based on Nvidia’s 28nm Kepler microarchitecture. The GeForce GTX 850M is based on Nvidia’s newer 28nm microarchitecture, codenamed Maxwell.

A third GPU—the GeForce GTX 860M—will be available in either a Kepler or a Maxwell version, depending on what the OEM needs (both GPUs will deliver similar performance, according to Nvidia, but they’ll have different power consumption and heat dissipation characteristics)

Nvidia also announced three lesser GPUs: the Maxwell-based GeForce 840M and GeForce 830M; the GeForce 820M, which is based on Nvidia’s older 28nm Fermi microarchitecture.

processors from the GeForce GTX 850M down will not support Nvidia’s SLI dual-GPU technology.

New feature:

"Nvidia’s Battery Boost technology is a new driver-level performance governor that automatically kicks in when the notebook is unplugged from an AC power source. Battery Boost takes control of the notebook’s CPU, GPU, and memory and automatically reduces screen brightness, resolution, image quality, and frame rate (with a target of 30 frames per second) to reduce the load on its battery, so you can play games longer. Nvidia claims it can as much as double the gaming time while on battery power, compared to gaming without Battery Boost enabled." Meh.. Even so battery life will still be around two hours while gaming. 

ShadowPlay now available for mobile GPUs! Also supports streaming your gaming sessions on Twitch. If you already own a laptop with a GeForce 700M or GeForce 600M-series GPU, ShadowPlay will be backward-compatible. But you’ll have to wait until later this month, when Nvidia releases a new version of its GeForce Experience software suite.

Power consumption:

According to Nvidia, if you play the game Elder Scrolls at 1080p resolution with medium settings on a notebook with an Intel Core i5-4210U, you’ll get a frame rate of just 10 frames per second, while the CPU and integrated GPU will consume 15 watts of power between the two components. Play the game at the same resolution and image quality on a notebook with the same CPU, but with Nvidia’s GeForce GTX 840M processor, NVIDIA claims you’ll get 30 frames per second while the two components consume 17 watts—three times the frame rate at an added power cost of just two watts.

Nvidia is making an even more impressive efficiency claim in comparison to Intel’s best integrated GPU, the Iris Pro Graphics 5200. According to Nvidia, a notebook equipped with an Intel Core i7-4750HQ processor will consume a massive 43 watts of power while delivering Skyrim at the resolution described above, at just 19 frames per second. 

For now manufacturers slated to release 800M series GPUs are:

Alienware, Asus, Gigabyte, Lenovo, MSI, Razer and Origin

Overall this launch was relatively disappointing IMO since only the 830M, 840M, 850M and the 860M (which will also be available in the older architecture) use the new maxwell architecture. Now we just have to wait for some clear performance numbers. 

Article: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2107261/nvidia-announces-its-all-new-geforce-800m-line-of-notebook-gpus.html

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

I should have typed faster. Damn

But I am really excited to see what the 800m series gpu's can do.

Deal with it

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

that's why you edit on the fly ;) 

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Maxwell will be yummy, but it's only in 850M? :S I guess that's what I'd use in a laptop anyways, as my desktop should have more power.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

I'm a little disappointed that there isn't a Maxwell 870M, but I probably was going to end up waiting for Broadwell anyway, so whatever.

Disappointment is written all over this omg, GTX 860m - 880m is based on Kepler???? WTF Maxwell is a ton better on laptops because of the power and heat, seriously would wait till the 20nm Maxwell Architecture comes out on mobile devices. On the other hand I want something like the Razer edge with a 850m

Project Restomod (In progress)

According to Nvidia, if you play the epic role-playing game Elder Scrolls at 1080p

According to me, if you put the epic role-playing game Elder Scrolls on your press release, it goes to show that your product can barely hand a 2011 game in 2014 and it continues to be almost as terrible of an investment as the intel hd graphics you constantly trash.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Disappointment is written all over this omg, GTX 860m - 880m is based on Kepler???? WTF Maxwell is a ton better on laptops because of the power and heat, seriously would wait till the 20nm Maxwell Architecture comes out on mobile devices. On the other hand I want something like the Razer edge with a 850m

A third GPU—the GeForce GTX 860M—will be available in either a Kepler or a Maxwell version...

read the post.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

A third GPU—the GeForce GTX 860M—will be available in either a Kepler or a Maxwell version...

read the post.

Yeah but my point is still valid, even though it can be Kepler or Maxwell, the logical one to get is the Maxwell variant. So why have the Kepler version in the first place?

Yeah but my point is still valid, even though it can be Kepler or Maxwell, the logical one to get is the Maxwell variant. So why have the Kepler version in the first place?

Cheaper?

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

It has more Cuda Cores ;)

Kepler GTX860m 1152 Cuda Cores

Maxwell GTX860m 640 Cuda Cores

RTX2070OC 

According to me, if you put the epic role-playing game Elder Scrolls on your press release, it goes to show that your product can barely hand a 2011 game in 2014 and it continues to be almost as terrible of an investment as the intel hd graphics you constantly trash.

i agree. Even though it is possible to make skyrim fairly demanding with mods, there is no excuse for them demoing new hardware with a 3 year old game.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

It has more Cuda Cores ;)

Kepler GTX860m 1152 Cuda Cores

Maxwell GTX860m 640 Cuda Cores

Hmm makes sense for like a mobile "workstation" with a Cuda enabled software.

Cheaper?

Maybe