Nvidia Battery Boost - Double the battery life of laptop

GoodBytes

Nvidia announces Battery Boost, a technology that Nvidia says will double teh battery life of laptops running Nvidia graphic card.

It is only in the GeForce GTX 800M series.

NVIDIA-GeForce-800M-Slides%20(13).jpg

NVIDIA-GeForce-800M-Slides%20(16).jpg

Profile per game, to show how to set it up:

23_575px.png

preferences_with-recommended_575px.png

The way it works is that it automatically throttle the laptop CPU, GPU, and memory to save power, and have them render fewer frames every second, exchanging whole system performance for extended battery life.

The idea is that if you play a game at 120fps, you can throttle the system down to 60fps, if if you don't play an FPS game, or you can live with 30fps, you can do that.

AnanTech shares the supported GPUs:

gtx_800M.PNG

NVIDIA-GeForce-800M-Slides%20(26).jpg

Source 1: http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2014/3/12/5499518/nvidia-wants-to-let-you-play-games-with-your-laptop-unplugged

Source 2: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7834/nvidia-geforce-800m-lineup-battery-boost

Only for the 800 series?Hmmm...is the 800 series a revamp or is it new stuff?

Also : fix your title : B oost

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Why would you game on a laptop battery?

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

This plus Haswell/Broadwell = Orgasmically Epic Battery Life!

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

uhm, because there are people that travel alot and arent near a wallwart all the time... pretty stupid question...

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

uhm, because there are people that travel alot and arent near a wallwart all the time... pretty stupid question...

What does Walmart have anything to do with it?

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

It's nice to have the option I guess, but I think I personally would find it pretty situational. My current laptop gets most of its gaming when I'm in a hotel or at the airport, where I can usually find an outlet so I'm not using the battery anyway. *shrug*

I don't think this is a terrible idea or anything though.

Why would you game on a battery that might last a half hour or a little more?

Right, I forgot that storing power was perfected so we can all play games on a laptop battery for 8+ hours. [/sarcasm]

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

wait wait wait

there is NO WAY

an 840M will use only 2 watts more than using a 4400 iGPU

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Only for the 800 series?Hmmm...is the 800 series a revamp or is it new stuff?

Also : fix your title : B oost

It's all new stuff. It's a new architecture jump. Maxwell is it's architecture code name. The 750 Ti is Maxwell based.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

This ^

+ why would you game on a laptop anyways ?

VIDEO GAMES                                  Max Power Build Log

This ^

sometimes

its convenience

but yeah stupid to game on a battery except if its like an emulator or something :P

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

It's all new stuff. It's a new architecture jump. Maxwell is it's architecture code name. The 750 Ti is Maxwell based.

If we're talking about mobile GPUs, anything above a 860M is a Kepler refresh, apparently. If you're talking about desktop GPUs, you're most likely right.

This ^

Cuz a laptop is all some people have/want. Like a couple of my friends. They don't want a desktop (not sure why) so they just get really nice Laptops.

My rigs

Spoiler

Desktop CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.4GHz cooled by a Corsair H105 | Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X79 | RAM: 32GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 SC3 Ultra Gaming | SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Crutial M500 240GB + Samsung 840 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM + WB Black 4TB 7200RPM | Case: Fractal Design Meshify C | Mouse: Logitech G402 & MX Master | Keyboard: Poker II  MX Blue & Leopold 10-key pad Box Royals | Monitor: LG 34UB88-P | Audio: Audio-Technica ATH-M50 + FiiO E5 DAC + Rode NT-USB Mini

Laptop Lenovo Yoga 720 4k Touch

If we're talking about mobile GPUs, anything above a 860M is a Kepler refresh, apparently. If you're talking about desktop GPUs, you're most likely right.

Sorry I should have made that clear. I was talking about the desktop Maxwell GPU's. I didn't know that the mobile 800 series GPU's were still Kepler though. That is pretty bad as Maxwell has much better power efficiency then Kepler does.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I do not have a 800M series notebook but fuck you Nvidia, at least show linux some love.

Signatures are stupid.

This ^

As someone who owns an Alienware M11x R2 I can say because I can. I bought it cause I needed something for my photography that would allow me to work as fast as at home without having to lug around something massively heavy with my already massively heavy camera gear, however, It means that I can now game at friends houses or they can game at mine without having to lug around a desktop... cause lugging my desktop is not the best option (Seeing as its in an Antec P280)

And that is only my reason, there are 100's more of genuine reasons. 

P.S: I will ALWAYS game on my desktop if I have a preference btw

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

meh you can do this already by just manually changing the setting except for the fps change.

This ^

As someone who owns an Alienware M11x R2 I can say because I can. I bought it cause I needed something for my photography that would allow me to work as fast as at home without having to lug around something massively heavy with my already massively heavy camera gear, however, It means that I can now game at friends houses or they can game at mine without having to lug around a desktop... cause lugging my desktop is not the best option (Seeing as its in an Antec P280)

And that is only my reason, there are 100's more of genuine reasons. 

P.S: I will ALWAYS game on my desktop if I have a preference btw

The original question, if asked in 2004, would make more sense.  However today, my G75VX with a 670MX and unlocked max overclock can literally play BF4 on all high settings, with the exception of Texture Details (those are Ultra, due to 3 GB VRAM), at 1080p, 60 FPS.

We are no longer in the era of "Yea, we can play games on laptops, but at a quarter of the resolution and lowest details only".

lol walmart. he said w a l l w a r t

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k | Mootherboard: ASUS P8z68v-Pro | GPU: EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (4GBx2) 1600mhz | PSU: Corsair AX760 | STORAGE: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB | COOLER: Noctua NH-C14 | CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black | Operating SystemWindows 7 Professional 64-bit |

On a very long flight. (assuming any of us leave our homes and go traveling)

well if u are on the go like in a car or a bus or train in australia i have never seen power point on a bus or a train but i think in america they have them.

i read it as walmart too lmao.

I dunno maybe you are out somewhere and you feel like doing some light gaming. that could be what a person might do.

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

I DUNNO! When you travel maybe? hmmm...

People sometimes.