Is a GTX 1080 still a good value/card going forward?

Im looking to upgrade my RX 580 8gb and I have found an offer for a GTX 1080 (non ti) for $250 and with all of the new graphics cards coming out I want to know if the GTX 1080 is still a good value. I do plan to get up to the current generation once either AMD or Nvidia release some good cards in the lower price range but I don't think that is going to happen until January or February, and my 580 just isn't cutting it anymore for flight simulator 2020. $250 is relatively low for a 1080 compared the average that seems to be around $300 but how will that price stay once the new AMD gpus and (possibly) lower range gpus release? I dont care that much about long term performance, I just need it to last me until the lower end gpus release and not bust my ass on depreciation.  

The thing is I don't think newer cards in a "low price segment" are going to necessarily perform better, so yes the 1080 is good value but I question the need to get a new low tier gpu in the foreseeable future then, make at least sure it really performs better. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 minutes ago, Mick_MCmik said:

for $250 and with all of the new graphics cards coming out I want to know if the GTX 1080 is still a good value.

IMO, yes, if is real and not broken.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

I would wait to early next year. Used market should look alot better.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

I would hold off on buying at the moment, I don't see a 1080 getting any more expensive in the coming month or two with the release of lower end 3000 series cards and the release of the 6000 series from AMD and it's lower end cards and the release of Intel's higher end cards. The market will be flooded with people upgrading their stuff.

In the mean time use overdriventool to undervolt and overclock the RX580 and you can squeeze some more frames out of it and do so with less noise if you desire. I had mine tuned and it was benching closer to a 1070 than a 1060.

43 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I would hold off on buying at the moment, I don't see a 1080 getting any more expensive in the coming month or two with the release of lower end 3000 series cards and the release of the 6000 series from AMD and it's lower end cards and the release of Intel's higher end cards. The market will be flooded with people upgrading their stuff.

In the mean time use overdriventool to undervolt and overclock the RX580 and you can squeeze some more frames out of it and do so with less noise if you desire. I had mine tuned and it was benching closer to a 1070 than a 1060.

I have mine on a 20% max frequency overclock and its still only okay. It doesn't help that the only game that I play is the new Microsoft flight simulator and I only get about 15-20 fps on medium high settings, which just isn't cutting it. What I think will happen is there won't be any significant drop in prices until enough people actually get their hands on a new card, which, as demonstrated by Nvidia, could be weeks or even months after launch.

14 minutes ago, Mick_MCmik said:

I have mine on a 20% max frequency overclock and its still only okay. It doesn't help that the only game that I play is the new Microsoft flight simulator and I only get about 15-20 fps on medium high settings, which just isn't cutting it. What I think will happen is there won't be any significant drop in prices until enough people actually get their hands on a new card, which, as demonstrated by Nvidia, could be weeks or even months after launch.

Do it then. I would get a 1080 ti or even 2070 if possible

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

3 hours ago, Mick_MCmik said:

At what voltage? GCN cards are massively over volted out of the box, mine runs way cooler and faster at like 1.1 to 1.07 volts than it did at stock settings. Easily hits 1590 to 1600 and holds that speed while gaming no problem.