R9 290 Vs GTX 780

PlayerXp3

Hey forum Users,

This is my first post so excuse if it is not perfect. So I am currently running a GT 640 in my rig and I am planning to upgrade to a higher end graphics card. Currently I am looking at the R9 290 Non-X from either Sapphire with the Tri-x cooler or Asus's Direct CUii but its main competitor the GTX 780 also looks promising with its great reference cooler temps and reliability, I asked my friend about this and he constantly tells me to go with AMD because of Mantle but I did some research and Mantle is not as viable because it needs great support from the game developers, therefore doesn't look as promising. So there it is if you can help me I would be dearly grateful because this a big expense and I don't want to have buyers remorse.

My current specs:

Corsair CX 750M

Z87-Pro

i5 4670-K

8GB of Corsair Low Profile RAM

Hyper Evo TX3 Evo Air Cooler

3TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

1TB Western Digital HDD

Asus GT 640

Case: NZXT Phantom 410

NVidia for G-Sync or AMD for Mantle support.

290 performs slightly better than the 780 but costs a lot more in the US.

The 290 and 780 are pretty much neck to neck in performance. Get whichever is cheaper or whichever has features you prefer.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Get whatever is cheaper. They have the same performance. Though if you prefer AMD's features over Nvidia's then go 290 and vice versa.

just look at both the GTX780 and the 290, both non reference models, and just grab the cheapest. Both cards perform great. its a bit depending where you live, in the US the GTX780 is mostly a littlebit cheaper. But in Europe the 290 is mostly cheaper.

I have to say that in most benchmarks i saw, the R9-290 triX does slightly beat the GTX780 in alot of games. But its offcourse depending in how games are designed, some perform better on Nvidia some on AMD. but most gaming benchmarks i saw the TriX was the winner.

Thanks for the support!  :lol:

I'm going go withe Nvidia's GTX 780 because I currently have a Nvidia graphics card and don't feel confident enough to dive into AMD.

Also the reference cooler for the 780 is a beast and looks amazing!

So once again THANK YOU!

Mantle is crap, go for the 780.

Can you clearify your statement, with specs? benchmarks? proof?

Or is it just a fanboy post? :)

Because as far as my knowledge goes, there is still not much to say about mantle..

And by the way, mantle is not realy something to botter about. Cause like i said above, the R9-290 TriX beats the GTX780 in most games. But its depending on where you live, in terms for the price of both cards. Because the diffrence is not that big.

So if where you life the GTX780 cheaper grab it, is the R9-290 triX cheaper grab it.

Thanks for the support!  :lol:

I'm going go withe Nvidia's GTX 780 because I currently have a Nvidia graphics card and don't feel confident enough to dive into AMD.

Also the reference cooler for the 780 is a beast and looks amazing!

So once again THANK YOU!

Barack-Obama-Funny-Pictures-Dumpaday-3.j

fanboy alert! 

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

fanboy alert! 

Opinion, Mantle doesn't improve framerates alot and nVidia is my personal perference.

fanboy alert! 

Naaah not really, from what we've seen it's not that impressive and the list of upcoming games that will support it is .. deceiving. It's not crap, but G-sync is a much more interesting technology if you plan to upgrade your display sometimes in the near future. Mantle is a bonus, but not a game changer like some expected. (at least not yet)

Opinion, Mantle doesn't improve framerates alot and nVidia is my personal perference.

http://be.hardware.info/reviews/5194/5/amd-mantle-review-eerste-ervaringen-in-battlefield-4-in-windows-7-en-81-mantle-benchmarks---radeon-r9-290x 

sorry... 25% is alot.

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

So? How does mantle being crap mean you should go with nVidia? Regardless of Mantle, the 290 is still on par with the 780. 

My Personal Rig - AMD 3970X | ASUS sTRX4-Pro | RTX 2080 Super | 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 | CoolerMaster H500P Mesh

My Wife's Rig - AMD 3900X | MSI B450I Gaming | 5500 XT 4GB | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 | Silverstone SG13 White

For me, I'll go for Gtx 780 since I'm more familiar with Nvidia driver, and their features such as GeForce experience.  And I think I'm the only one who does not really care about both g-sync and mantle. So, either one for me is fine.  If you are in a budget however, go for R9 290, since it is cheaper than the 780( at least in my country, about 50~120$ cheaper than 780). And most game I've play is powered by AMD, So I think 290 has advantage out of these games. 

-Desktop: Asrock H81M-HDS R2.0, Pentium G3258 4.2 ghz OC, Palit GTX 750 ti StormX, Kingston HyperX Fury 1600 4gb, Seagate Baracuda
-Laptop: MSI GE620DX, i72670QM 2.2 Ghz, 8GB 1333mhz Ram, GT555M 2GB DDR3.
-Gaming peripherals: Razer Deathadder 2013, Superlux HD 681 Evo Razer Goliathus Control Medium sizeCm Storm Quickfire TK white edition.

I looked at the same and went with the 780.

780 runs cooler and is quiet, has g-sync and other features (shadowplay).

The only reason I would entertain the 290x over the 780 is if you were folding or planed to in the near future. 

Yeah but thats only if you're CPU limited like when you're playing on low settings or you're CPU is really weak. When playing on ultra it only improves frames by 5% which is not a lot. Multiplayer performance (on big servers) may be more CPU heavy then Singleplayer...

Desktop: Intel i9-10850K (R9 3900X died 😢 )| MSI Z490 Tomahawk | RTX 2080 (borrowed from work) - MSI GTX 1080 | 64GB 3600MHz CL16 memory | Corsair H100i (NF-F12 fans) | Samsung 970 EVO 512GB | Intel 665p 2TB | Samsung 830 256GB| 3TB HDD | Corsair 450D | Corsair RM550x | MG279Q

Laptop: Surface Pro 7 (i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD)

Console: PlayStation 4 Pro

fanboy alert! 

actually the post quoted above yours is fanboy alert.  if you bother actually looking up in game benchmarks you'll see that the 780 and the 290x (yes the x, not the regular 290) trade blows depending on the game, and of the benchmarks I've seen, the 780 comes out on top more than the 290x does

and as far as mantle goes, in BF4, the only game right now to support mantle, its only an issue if you have a crap cpu.  and if you buy a crap cpu with a 290 or 780 you're an idiot (unless you only play BF4)

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

actually the post quoted above yours is fanboy alert.  if you bother actually looking up in game benchmarks you'll see that the 780 and the 290x (yes the x, not the regular 290) trade blows depending on the game, and of the benchmarks I've seen, the 780 comes out on top more than the 290x does

and as far as mantle goes, in BF4, the only game right now to support mantle, its only an issue if you have a crap cpu.  and if you buy a crap cpu with a 290 or 780 you're an idiot (unless you only play BF4)

You sure about that?

bioshock-fr.pngbf4-fr.png

On some games they're neck and neck and others the 290 is a decent amount faster than the 780. I am not a fanboy, I am only stating things that have been found.

You sure about that?

bioshock-fr.pngbf4-fr.png

On some games they're neck and neck and others the 290 is a decent amount faster than the 780. I am not a fanboy, I am only stating things that have been found.

not the case in any of these...

title says 780Ti, but the graphs show the 780 also

http://benchmarkreviews.com/8716/2560x1600-geforce-gtx-780-ti-vs-radeon-r9-290x/

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

not the case in any of these...

title says 780Ti, but the graphs show the 780 also

http://benchmarkreviews.com/8716/2560x1600-geforce-gtx-780-ti-vs-radeon-r9-290x/

What that shows is the 290x losing the the 780 in some cases and being on par with the 780 in others? Ignoring the 780 Ti. The 290 non-x is also slower than the 290x too.

What that shows is the 290x losing the the 780 in some cases and being on par with the 780 in others? Ignoring the 780 Ti. The 290 non-x is also slower than the 290x too.

thats my point.  at best they trade blows.  

• 5 months later...

This is not true. 780 performs slighty better on 1080P which almost everyone use,and not to mention less noise,less temperatures,nvidia extra things you get,better driver support,able to overclock it more,etc. If it is up to 30$ more expensive then it is worth it.

Can you clearify your statement, with specs? benchmarks? proof?

Or is it just a fanboy post? :)

Because as far as my knowledge goes, there is still not much to say about mantle..

And by the way, mantle is not realy something to botter about. Cause like i said above, the R9-290 TriX beats the GTX780 in most games. But its depending on where you live, in terms for the price of both cards. Because the diffrence is not that big.

So if where you life the GTX780 cheaper grab it, is the R9-290 triX cheaper grab it.

780 is better for same price.