Do All Laptop IPS Panels Suck?

bspooky

I'm struggling to find a laptop that fits my needs. I want a "generalist" kinda of like my Thinkpad T430, a laptop that I dabble in some indie gaming, light CAD work, and web browsing. Did some research and the new T14 AMD model sounded great. An the low power display sounded like an upgrade from the ugly, but serviceable 1600x900 panel that I had before.  So the problem with my new laptop is significant ghosting on any motion. The first model had B140HAN05.7 with was a AUO panel, and it was pretty awful on all accounts, could notice motion blur on just scrolling through text. RMA'd and got  LP140WF9_SPF1, which is only really marginally better, but when I jump into any game there's horrible ghosting on motion.

When comparing laptops in this class via Notebookcheck, most have similar grey to grey response times, so am I just going crazy? I feel like I fell into 2003 with all this ghosting. Do I need to buy a damn gaming laptop to just avoid smearing and blurring when scrolling text!?

16 minutes ago, bspooky said:

Do I need to buy a damn gaming laptop to just avoid smearing and blurring when scrolling text!?

No.

Get the T14, great machine.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

I’ve replaced the TN panel on my laptop with an LG IPS panel, and although the response times/motion blur didn’t improve, the overall viewing experience was a lot more tolerable. Since I don’t know of any compatible laptop panels that have overdrive to decrease motion blur/response time, it’s just something you’ll have to live with. 

Wonder if Lenovo changed it on the T14.
But the T490 (intel) had 4 different Panel types. 2 were apparently okay, 2 were trash (like very noticeable Ghosting), it comes from that low power panel type.

Fun Fact: The T495 (AMD) only had the 2 good panel types, if i'm not mistaken.

Thinkpad T-series panels are decent. And bright enough.

But they aren't the fastest (which is irrelevant for the stuff you normally do with a Thinkpad), and overall, they are simply nothing special / stunning.

In my Opinion, the Macbook Air 2018 had a visible better Display panel, than the T490 i had here. But the difference wasn't that big. I'm very sure, use it for a few hours, and your eyes get so used to it, you don't complain anymore about anything. Except that 16:9 ratio...

I saw a difference in a direct comparison. Otherwise, it's fine (except the Ghosting)

1 hour ago, bspooky said:

I'm struggling to find a laptop that fits my needs. I want a "generalist" kinda of like my Thinkpad T430, a laptop that I dabble in some indie gaming, light CAD work, and web browsing. Did some research and the new T14 AMD model sounded great. An the low power display sounded like an upgrade from the ugly, but serviceable 1600x900 panel that I had before.  So the problem with my new laptop is significant ghosting on any motion. The first model had B140HAN05.7 with was a AUO panel, and it was pretty awful on all accounts, could notice motion blur on just scrolling through text. RMA'd and got  LP140WF9_SPF1, which is only really marginally better, but when I jump into any game there's horrible ghosting on motion.

When comparing laptops in this class via Notebookcheck, most have similar grey to grey response times, so am I just going crazy? I feel like I fell into 2003 with all this ghosting. Do I need to buy a damn gaming laptop to just avoid smearing and blurring when scrolling text!?

I'm a bit confused here. Are you comparing IPS to VA panel???

Remember! Reality Is An Illusion, The Universe Is A Hologram, Buy GOLD! Byeeee!!!

Color Accuracy has gotten better and IPS in general has gotten cheaper, but yeah you can definitely see the trailing blur when scrolling on my ThinkPad X13 1080p panel.