2x6 pin to 8 pin pcie

Rothhaus
Go to solution Solved by Guest,
1 minute ago, Rothhaus said:

I’ve just seen another post with a similar question and the answer he got was “

it'll be less than ideal, it wont set fire to the cable/connectors/etc, but you will most likely get more voltage drop in the cables, i presume this could result in a slight reduction in power limit, but i assume it will work fine enough.

if you want to play on the safe side, running two 'dedicated' cables will be better, if you can get your hands on an extra cable.” 

so what I take from that is that using one 1 2x8 pin cable and another single 8 pin cable can be done but it’s not nearly as good as using 3 separate 8 pin cables. 

That lacks context.

You're talking about a graphics card that uses three connectors.  That sounds like a post where they were asking about a graphics card that uses two connectors.

Yes... using two connectors on one cable is not ideal in many cases.

I'm guessing you're going to be using an Ampere based card, correct?  Keep in mind the Founder's Edition uses only two PCIe on an adapter that converts that to a single 12-pin connection.

The reason the AIB cards have three PCIe is because there's no such thing as a PCIe cable with three PCIe connectors (unless you made one).  So by "requiring" three connectors, they're forcing you to use at least two cables.

Hi, I just discovered that the gpu I have ordered needs 3x8 pin but my psu (Corsair TX750M) only has 2x8 pin connectors and then the rest are 6 pin, would it be possible to use a 2x6 pin to 8 pin connecter for the last 8 pin port on the gpu 

2 minutes ago, Rothhaus said:

would it be possible to use a 2x6 pin to 8 pin connecter for the last 8 pin port on the gpu 

yes you can use two cables. one cable for two 6+2 pins and one cable for one more 6+2 pin.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, Rothhaus said:

my psu (Corsair TX750M) only has 2x8 pin connectors and then the rest are 6 pin

Corsair TX750M has 4x 6+2pin PCIe connectors. Even the really old TX750M has 4x 6+2pin PCIe connectors.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

It only has 2 pcie 8 pin entrances and the rest is 6 pin. So is it possible to use or get a cable that goes from 2x6 pin entrance to a single 8 pin connecter? And is there any disadvantages to it? Or do you mean that I would have to use one 6 pin to 6 pin and then the 2 pin from a 6 pin so it technically would be an 8 pin coming from 2  6 pinpcie ports?

44E49D73-ADC3-4272-BB38-52EEE997A1A4.jpeg

Would be a nice occasion to upgrade PSU maybe?

PSU is the heart of the PC.

I edit my posts more often than not

Just now, Tan3l6 said:

Would be a nice occasion to upgrade PSU maybe?

PSU is the heart of the PC.

I just bought a month ago and I just realised this problem now, would be a shame if I had to get rid of it already 

It should have modular connectors that turn each of the 8-pins on the PSU into a pair of 6+2s on the other end. The 6-pins on the PSU are for SATA/molex and not related to PCIe at all.

2 minutes ago, Grabhanem said:

It should have modular connectors that turn each of the 8-pins on the PSU into a pair of 6+2s on the other end. The 6-pins on the PSU are for SATA/molex and not related to PCIe at all.

But can the data ports be used for pcie?

27 minutes ago, Rothhaus said:

It only has 2 pcie 8 pin entrances and the rest is 6 pin. So is it possible to use or get a cable that goes from 2x6 pin entrance to a single 8 pin connecter? And is there any disadvantages to it? Or do you mean that I would have to use one 6 pin to 6 pin and then the 2 pin from a 6 pin so it technically would be an 8 pin coming from 2  6 pinpcie ports?

Ohhh...you are talking about the PSU side.

The 6-pin connectors on the PSU side are only for SATA and Peripherals.

The 8-pins on the PSU side split into 2x 6+2 pin PCI-E connectors, so with 2x 8-pin connectors, you should have 4x PCI-E 6+2 pin cables.

It would be dangerous to convert the 6-pin SATA / Peripheral power to PCI-E power.

Power ratings for SATA, etc is much lower than PCI-E / CPU.

So... you have enough PCI-E 8-pin connections, with 1x to spare.

So...why go through this potentially unsafe janky conversion?

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

9 minutes ago, Rothhaus said:

But can the data ports be used for pcie?

You get 2x8 PCIe connectors for every port on the power supply. You have two ports on the power supply, you get 4 connectors.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

37 minutes ago, Rothhaus said:

Hi, I just discovered that the gpu I have ordered needs 3x8 pin but my psu (Corsair TX750M) only has 2x8 pin connectors and then the rest are 6 pin, would it be possible to use a 2x6 pin to 8 pin connecter for the last 8 pin port on the gpu 

Which GPU are you getting exactly?

It does matter.

I have one of the 3x 8 Pin cards.

3080 FTW3 Ultra with the XOC 450W VBIOS.

I have seen my card pull 470W just through the 3x 8 Pin.

The 3090 FTW3 Ultra pulls 500W+

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

6 minutes ago, Ankerson said:

3x PCI-E 8-pins?

I'm banking on RTX 3080...

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

5 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

3x PCI-E 8-pins?

I'm banking on RTX 3080...

If it's one of the 450W cards 750W isn't really going to be enough.

It will work, but 850W or more is recommended.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

34 minutes ago, Rothhaus said:

I just bought a month ago and I just realised this problem now, would be a shame if I had to get rid of it already 

It's not a problem.  You're overthinking it.

There's two 8-pin modular ports.  Each cable that plugs into those has two 6+2-pin PCIe cables.  You would use two connectors from one cable and one connector from the second.

That's it.

No issue.

Case closed.

30 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

It's not a problem.  You're overthinking it.

There's two 8-pin modular ports.  Each cable that plugs into those has two 6+2-pin PCIe cables.  You would use two connectors from one cable and one connector from the second.

That's it.

No issue.

Case closed.

it'll be less than ideal, it wont set fire to the cable/connectors/etc, but you will most likely get more voltage drop in the cables, i presume this could result in a slight reduction in power limit, but i assume it will work fine enough.

if you want to play on the safe side, running two 'dedicated' cables will be better, if you can get your hands on an extra cable.” 

so what I take from that is that using one 1 2x8 pin cable and another single 8 pin cable can be done but it’s not nearly as good as using 3 separate 8 pin cables. 

1 minute ago, Rothhaus said:

That lacks context.

You're talking about a graphics card that uses three connectors.  That sounds like a post where they were asking about a graphics card that uses two connectors.

Yes... using two connectors on one cable is not ideal in many cases.

I'm guessing you're going to be using an Ampere based card, correct?  Keep in mind the Founder's Edition uses only two PCIe on an adapter that converts that to a single 12-pin connection.

The reason the AIB cards have three PCIe is because there's no such thing as a PCIe cable with three PCIe connectors (unless you made one).  So by "requiring" three connectors, they're forcing you to use at least two cables.

53 minutes ago, Ankerson said:

It does matter.

I have one of the 3x 8 Pin cards.

3080 FTW3 Ultra with the XOC 450W VBIOS.

I have seen my card pull 470W just through the 3x 8 Pin.

The 3090 FTW3 Ultra pulls 500W+

Right.  But what graphics card the OP is using is TOP SECRET!  

It's like being on a mystery cruise. We're given bits and pieces and we have to guess the rest.  

10 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Right.  But what graphics card the OP is using is TOP SECRET!  

It's like being on a mystery cruise. We're given bits and pieces and we have to guess the rest.  

My bad lol, I’ve ordered the msi 3080 trio x

29 minutes ago, Rothhaus said:

My bad lol, I’ve ordered the msi 3080 trio x

Use two cables. 

6 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Use two cables. 

Yea I’ll use one double 8 pin and one single 8 pin as you suggested. Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it.