Is it okey to ask for rent decrease?

oskar23

My lease expired 5 months ago. I asked for new one and didnt get since. Well maybe better because back then I would get lease with 1.5% rent increase and i would have to pay more but due to law protecting people from eviction i probably still didnt get one? If I signed and didnt pay i would be save from eviction? I just think now if i decided not to pay without a lease they could do something with it. As a good tenant I pay every month via money order and here is a question - is it okey to ask for rent decrease? I have no idea how landlords look at this things, if they may not want to sign the lease later on and if i should say that unemployment doesnt even cover rent in full. Just not sure how to go about it. No stimulus, no extra weekly boost and my work still did not open. Monthly benefits only cover rent in 3/4. Not to mention other costs of living... itrs really depressing..

42 minutes ago, oskar23 said:

My lease expired 5 months ago. I asked for new one and didnt get since. Well maybe better because back then I would get lease with 1.5% rent increase and i would have to pay more but due to law protecting people from eviction i probably still didnt get one? If I signed and didnt pay i would be save from eviction? I just think now if i decided not to pay without a lease they could do something with it. As a good tenant I pay every month via money order and here is a question - is it okey to ask for rent decrease? I have no idea how landlords look at this things, if they may not want to sign the lease later on and if i should say that unemployment doesnt even cover rent in full. Just not sure how to go about it. No stimulus, no extra weekly boost and my work still did not open. Monthly benefits only cover rent in 3/4. Not to mention other costs of living... itrs really depressing..

Canada or US. Which Province/State? In the US this would be regulated by State and Local Governments. Check with the Building Department or whatever it is called in your City. 

1 hour ago, oskar23 said:

Rent most likely increased due to taxes. So its hard to say what land lords will do in this case. Id contact the government and find out what your legal options are. Are there no jobs open where you live? Michigan opened back up, or at least the courts struck down the stay at home order. BUT because the governor keeps extending unemployment benefits and no one wants to work,  all these business are doing hiring. I see job postings coming out the ass.

Hard to say if the US will get a 2nd stimulus, if we do it will probably be after the election during the lame duck phase. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

4 hours ago, oskar23 said:

landlords

Is the landlord a company, if so what size is that company or is the landlord a home owner with a single house or a home owner with several properties. Usually a month to month is a higher cost then a one year lease, everyone wants you hooked into a one year lease and preferably a 10 year lease as you are locked in, like cell phone companies want you on a 2 year lease, same thing bro. Though 10 year leases are uncommon if not rare for residential, commercial the 5 year lease is very common.

Also depends what country your in, by some of your words I can only assume you are in Europe somewhere so not sure what their rules are or what their bailouts are or what free covid money.

Maybe its time for you to find a cheaper place to rent, like perhaps a room rental instead of an apartment. You could also put an ad up for a room mate, or you can rent out the garage or even the parking pad next to the garage for some people who live in their travel trailer/motorhome. I saw an ad up once to rent out a garage with a bathroom and their wording in the ad was like you could live in it, but they didnt specifically word it like that.

If you are late on rent, there are extra fee's to pay.

Landlords are losing money so they have to recoup.

11 hours ago, Orange1 said:

Is the landlord a company, if so what size is that company or is the landlord a home owner with a single house or a home owner with several properties. Usually a month to month is a higher cost then a one year lease, everyone wants you hooked into a one year lease and preferably a 10 year lease as you are locked in, like cell phone companies want you on a 2 year lease, same thing bro. Though 10 year leases are uncommon if not rare for residential, commercial the 5 year lease is very common.

Also depends what country your in, by some of your words I can only assume you are in Europe somewhere so not sure what their rules are or what their bailouts are or what free covid money.

Maybe its time for you to find a cheaper place to rent, like perhaps a room rental instead of an apartment. You could also put an ad up for a room mate, or you can rent out the garage or even the parking pad next to the garage for some people who live in their travel trailer/motorhome. I saw an ad up once to rent out a garage with a bathroom and their wording in the ad was like you could live in it, but they didnt specifically word it like that.

Given that it can take another month or even two for  a Landlord to rent out a place, they tend to perfer a Year Contract.

asking for a rent decrease is the same concept as asking your boss for a raise. Come up with a good'ish speech in your head and nut up and ask. Also if your unemployment won't even cover your rent you should look at moving because you're living outside your means and we all know how that ends up.

Depends to on what the landlords occupancy rate is. If its a desirable location, with little to no turn over then who knows what they want to do with someone who is late on rent, or wants a reduced rental. Depends I guess on the amount you want reduced.

1 minute ago, comander said:

When in doubt ASK. 

It is easier to post online for most people, that is why there are a lot of life questions asked, especially in this digital age.

18 hours ago, whm1974 said:

Canada or US. Which Province/State? In the US this would be regulated by State and Local Governments. Check with the Building Department or whatever it is called in your City. 

US, NYC

18 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Rent most likely increased due to taxes. So its hard to say what land lords will do in this case. Id contact the government and find out what your legal options are. Are there no jobs open where you live? Michigan opened back up, or at least the courts struck down the stay at home order. BUT because the governor keeps extending unemployment benefits and no one wants to work,  all these business are doing hiring. I see job postings coming out the ass.

Hard to say if the US will get a 2nd stimulus, if we do it will probably be after the election during the lame duck phase. 

Do you have any idea what they do with money we give them without a lease?  I thought about asking them to pay even with cash if it would work with them.. i know its kind of against  the system but hey.. this are really hard times.

Thing is Im kind of scared to pick up a job that may shut down like Europe wants to do again. Not sure if i would still get benefits if i lost a new job. For now at least i have money every week and i dont have to worry if im told not to come to work because its not busy, they dont need people or they gonna shut down again. For now its really hard spot to be in because I would like to pick up new job but at the same time I dont want to be left with nothing. Thats why i collect benefits and add the rest from my savings.

15 hours ago, Orange1 said:

I was googling them back in a day and it looks like they have 2 buildings. About 20 apartments in each. Im from NYC.

1 hour ago, Orange1 said:

Depends to on what the landlords occupancy rate is. If its a desirable location, with little to no turn over then who knows what they want to do with someone who is late on rent, or wants a reduced rental. Depends I guess on the amount you want reduced.

I think there is difference with being late and wanting to reduce. You know they can always deny lower rent but at the same time i have no clue if they think anything more of that. I could message my super in bulding to ask landlord for me but im just not sure if its a good idea. I dont want to propose price, it would be up to them. And also as mentioned i could pay cash even though its not right from legal perspective but i know many people do that like that.

4 minutes ago, oskar23 said:

US, NYC

Do you have any idea what they do with money we give them without a lease?  I thought about asking them to pay even with cash if it would work with them.. i know its kind of against  the system but hey.. this are really hard times.

Thing is Im kind of scared to pick up a job that may shut down like Europe wants to do again. Not sure if i would still get benefits if i lost a new job. For now at least i have money every week and i dont have to worry if im told not to come to work because its not busy, they dont need people or they gonna shut down again. For now its really hard spot to be in because I would like to pick up new job but at the same time I dont want to be left with nothing. Thats why i collect benefits and add the rest from my savings.

I was googling them back in a day and it looks like they have 2 buildings. About 20 apartments in each. Im from NYC.

I think there is difference with being late and wanting to reduce. You know they can always deny lower rent but at the same time i have no clue if they think anything more of that. I could message my super in bulding to ask landlord for me but im just not sure if its a good idea. I dont want to propose price, it would be up to them. And also as mentioned i could pay cash even though its not right from legal perspective but i know many people do that like that.

What kind of Benefits are We talking about here? If you are getting SSDI, you can still get them while having a Part-Time Job.

Well its weekly unemployment.  If i can keep it and work hell yeah I can try to find something but if it means i will lose them i can't do it for now. Cant find clear info on that.

8 minutes ago, oskar23 said:

Well its weekly unemployment.  If i can keep it and work hell yeah I can try to find something but if it means i will lose them i can't do it for now. Cant find clear info on that.

Talk to them for sure. Just be aware that it's very possible that the increase is due to more demand on housing, raise in property taxes, and depending on if your utilities are included in the rent, those going up too. Just from skimming online, it looks like your utilities have gone up 4% this year there.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

On 10/30/2020 at 3:59 PM, oskar23 said:

You need to call them and ask. And make sure you request a link to the rules whatever they may be just to verify as not all reps know what they are talking about.

Picking up the 1000 pound phone is real hard to do, but thats the way to do it.

Give them a call, the leasing office in the apartment complex you live at or the main office wherever that is.

• 1 month later...
On 10/29/2020 at 9:19 PM, Donut417 said:

Rent most likely increased due to taxes. So its hard to say what land lords will do in this case.

Insurance is also a huge expense that never decreases.

PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE AMMUNITION...

EVGA X299 Dark, i7-9800X, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 SLI