Sleeper PC

BiotechBen

Hey guys, so I'm planning a sleeper and it's a top mount so the power supply will be helping with air flow. I was wondering if someone on here would be able to help me decide which power supply to get.

Ryzen 5 2600 (65w)

R9 390x (275w)

2-3 medium-high airflow fans

Currently stuck between:

-EVGA 600w 80+ gold

-Thermaltake smart series 600w 80+ bronze

-Corsair CX600 80+ bronze

I don't know much about power supply's apart from gold is better than bronze and that all are good brands. 

Thermaltake smart is notoriously a garbage PSU, the CX600 is an old green label (unless you mean the CX650 grey label instead, which is quite good)

EVGA makes quite a few gold rated PSUs you need to be more specific. Also have a peek at the PSU tier list

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

23 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

all are good brands. 

When it comes to brands all brands make some bad PSUs.

Some brands make some good PSUs

Buy the model not the brand,

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

thanks for all the info! @NineEyeRon @Fasauceome

In the tier list, given my components, which tier would they fall? I don't have much experience with how the tiering system works and what components fall where other than that something like a 1080ti with a 9900K would be tier A and something like a R3 3300 with like a rx550 would be in tier C. I don't want to underestimate my system but also don't want to go overboard. I don't need a 750w titanium unit, this is going to be hidden away so I don't need a showcase or pretty power supply. I'm focused on utility. I'm looking to spend about $75 for the power supply and I'm not looking to push it to the max. I'm going to be running stock settings. I just want something that will allow my system to be powered correctly and that I'm not going to need to worry about in 6 months of use. 

13 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

thanks for all the info! @NineEyeRon @Fasauceome

In the tier list, given my components, which tier would they fall? I don't have much experience with how the tiering system works and what components fall where other than that something like a 1080ti with a 9900K would be tier A and something like a R3 3300 with like a rx550 would be in tier C. I don't want to underestimate my system but also don't want to go overboard. I don't need a 750w titanium unit, this is going to be hidden away so I don't need a showcase or pretty power supply. I'm focused on utility. I'm looking to spend about $75 for the power supply and I'm not looking to push it to the max. I'm going to be running stock settings. I just want something that will allow my system to be powered correctly and that I'm not going to need to worry about in 6 months of use. 

for a budget gaming system I typically recommend a Tier B. Gives an upgrade path to anything mid range and some good high end stuff while giving you the necessities of a quality unit.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/BFPgXL/antec-neoeco-gold-zen-600-w-80-gold-certified-atx-power-supply-ne600g-zen

this might do ya

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

28 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

for a budget gaming system I typically recommend a Tier B. Gives an upgrade path to anything mid range and some good high end stuff while giving you the necessities of a quality unit.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/BFPgXL/antec-neoeco-gold-zen-600-w-80-gold-certified-atx-power-supply-ne600g-zen

this might do ya

thanks a lot man! I know that the r9 390x is a power hungry card, do you think I'd be able to get away with the 500w version? It still has the right number of cables  for powering the stuff and it would be a cleaner setup, and is in that 1.5x total power multiplier sweet spot, and its right on budget for power supply...

13 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

thanks a lot man! I know that the r9 390x is a power hungry card, do you think I'd be able to get away with the 500w version? It still has the right number of cables  for powering the stuff and it would be a cleaner setup, and is in that 1.5x total power multiplier sweet spot, and its right on budget for power supply...

Assuming your GPU is drawing 300 watts (being generous) you have close to 80 watts for the CPU (also being generous) that leaves 120 watts for ram, motherboard, drives, and fans. A motherboard draws about 40 watts, drives and ram consume less than 10 watts each, and fans consume like 3 watts. You should be covered.

Primary PC:

When I plugged everything into PCpartpicker, it spat out 444W usage, and if I upgrade, it'll be to a much more efficient graphics card so I think I will probably good. Thanks a ton man, is there like an upvote I can give you for being a real one.

1 hour ago, Fasauceome said:

Assuming your GPU is drawing 300 watts (being generous) you have close to 80 watts for the CPU (also being generous) that leaves 120 watts for ram, motherboard, drives, and fans. A motherboard draws about 40 watts, drives and ram consume less than 10 watts each, and fans consume like 3 watts. You should be covered.

Thanks for everything man, been a great help! Is there like an up-vote or something I can give you for being awesome?

18 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

Thanks for everything man, been a great help! Is there like an up-vote or something I can give you for being awesome?

the "like" react.

Primary PC: