Work Laptop + Desktop and Tablet

Hi guys, so have a question about what to do for a work computer. I'm currently using my personal laptop, which is a fairly old lenovo yoga 700 that seems to run fine, but is certainly showing its age (few scratches on screen, scratches on body, stuck volume button on side). I was told today that my work wants to get me a new computer. I do need to be able to have access to my files outside of the office as well. So my question is whether I should get a nice new laptop, or build a nice desktop for a bit cheaper and get a nice tablet, like a iPad soon as a companion. I just built a gaming PC that stays at home, so I'm not worried about this machine being able to run games or anything, it'll be strictly for work, which is mainly office tasks and online research. Just wanted to put some feelers out and see what everyone thinks between these options. 

IMO get a nicer laptop. Something thin and light will be nearly as portable as an iPad, but give you more power and more functionality (since I’m guessing it’d be running Windows or MacOS, and iPads aren’t actually computer replacements unless all you do is mobile gaming and uhhh nothing else)

You’ve obviously got a monitor already, so you could even make a little docking station by your desktop if you wanted another screen or external keyboard, etc.

R9 3900x, 32gb 3200mhz corsair dominator RGB, 1070Ti Founders Edition, HP 512GB PCIe M.2 SSD

yeah, that's what I was thinking. To be clear, as it seems my initial wording was a bit confusing, the iPad wouldn't be a computer replacement but simply a companion device as a way to access files, take notes, etc. when away from my desktops. I would still have a PC at the office and home that would be my actual workstations. 

Yeah a laptop with a touchscreen can basically do all of that for you, as well as run a more feature-rich OS.

R9 3900x, 32gb 3200mhz corsair dominator RGB, 1070Ti Founders Edition, HP 512GB PCIe M.2 SSD

Laptop for sure.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Depends on your work obviously, and what kind of stuff you would need to do on the go etc. If you need to do actual work with special software, not just hold meetings/presentations etc. laptop will always win.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I'm an attorney, so the only things I would really need to do on the go would be take notes and be able to access them, maybe once and a while edit documents. Any major work would be done at my desk (though that is mostly research and drafting with meetings and whatnot, nothing too intensive.) Also thinking about a 2 in 1. My  current yoga is technically a 2 in 1 but I rarely actually use it as a tablet because i don't find having a keyboard as the back very comfortable. I had a Surface Pro years ago and liked it. Thinking about maybe a surface pro 7. What are everyone's thoughts on going 2 in 1 over a laptop?

2 hours ago, droopypets said:

I'm an attorney, so the only things I would really need to do on the go would be take notes and be able to access them, maybe once and a while edit documents. Any major work would be done at my desk (though that is mostly research and drafting with meetings and whatnot, nothing too intensive.) Also thinking about a 2 in 1. My  current yoga is technically a 2 in 1 but I rarely actually use it as a tablet because i don't find having a keyboard as the back very comfortable. I had a Surface Pro years ago and liked it. Thinking about maybe a surface pro 7. What are everyone's thoughts on going 2 in 1 over a laptop?

For the things that you use,are really light,anything you buy will work good,just pick something that you like,even cheaper stuff then surface pro 7.