What's it like going from 60hz 1080p to 144hz 1440p?

And from cheap VA to IPS?

That'll be my next upgrade. I've seen a lot of praise of these kind of displays, and I'd like to know if it's really as great as people make it to be, as I've never experience anything above 60hz 1080p.

i went from 1200p (1920x1200) Dell IPS 24" to Acer 27" 1440p @ 144Hz(oc to 165hz) with gsync and it was amazing.

the higher refresh rate and gsync makes games nice and smooth and higher refresh helps games like CSGO

I prefer IPS for the colour accuracy

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

6 minutes ago, 7412 said:

That'll be my next upgrade. I've seen a lot of praise of these kind of displays, and I'd like to know if it's really as great as people make it to be, as I've never experience anything above 60hz 1080p.

It is really great. Definitely, depends on the game, but stuff like csgo, titanfall 2, and pvp based games definitely are improved, but your experience will always be better. 

I only play competitive games. Mordhau, WoW (in 3v3 arena) and StarCraft II, mostly. I think I'll notice the difference most in the former.

Be warned you will get used to it pretty quickly, that "wow" factor doesn't last more than a few weeks to a couple of months at best.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

The Hz difference is quite large, I noticed it immediately by just moving the mouse cursor.

The resolution difference... I couldn't care less in-game. But outside of games the 1440p screen real estate blows 1080p out of the water if you like having 2 windows opened side by side.

Haven't had a cheap VA panel but I had multiple types of IPS from bad to good... response times will definitely be a lot better on IPS, contrast may be worse but you may also not really care about contrast if you like to blow up the brightness in competitive games.

Wdym it's a big difference in every way. We've had higher res and higher refresh rate for a long time. 60Hz in 2020 is criminal. I also play WoW arena and SC2 as well as shooters. There it will be even bigger difference. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

22 hours ago, 7412 said:

The move from VA to IPS isnt as big as the ump from 60 hertz to 144 and the jump in resolutions is also pretty sweet. The main difference between the cheap you probably have and the IPS is that the VA is probabaly 6 but with FRC and the IPS is probably natuve 8 bits